Why not keep your BB and get yourself an ipod Touch? I use both an iphone 4 and a BB 9700. The iphone is an incredible device that does everything well. My gripes include lack of notifications, email gets pushes at the very most every half hour, and the fact that I find the icon style is becoming extremely boring. I don't jailbreak. The startup screen can be anything you wish (photos, etc.), as can the background on the other screens with icons. Icons can be put into folders, which is really helpful and saves a lot of space.
    Also, don't even try to take the iphone overseas if you want a reasonable bill. I put $50 international data package on my iphone and the very first evening I got a text saying I was going over my data limit. :-O BlackBerry is the way to go when traveling outside the country.
    I tried to let go of my BlackBerry a while back. Just couldn't do it, lol.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-30-11 02:57 PM
    My parents have the old iPhone though and I know that one must be JB to do custom sound profiles like the BlackBerry. Not sure about the newer iPhones though.

That's not important for me as my phone is almost always on silent. I know my Tour has like 6 profiles for sound but I never use them. But for some it may be an issue!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Right before the 3gs came out the 3g got the ring tone ability and mms. For some reason this was hard for apple to do.
    I also think ios is horrific. I really like the BB's mutitasking or ios's atempt.

01-30-11 08:32 PM
    Why not keep your BB and get yourself an ipod Touch? I use both an iphone 4 and a BB 9700. The iphone is an incredible device that does everything well. My gripes include lack of notifications, email gets pushes at the very most every half hour, and the fact that I find the icon style is becoming extremely boring. I don't jailbreak. The startup screen can be anything you wish (photos, etc.), as can the background on the other screens with icons. Icons can be put into folders, which is really helpful and saves a lot of space.
    Also, don't even try to take the iphone overseas if you want a reasonable bill. I put $50 international data package on my iphone and the very first evening I got a text saying I was going over my data limit. :-O BlackBerry is the way to go when traveling outside the country.
    I tried to let go of my BlackBerry a while back. Just couldn't do it, lol.
    Is your email on the iphone really that much slower? I'd be interested to hear from others on this issue as well.

Thanks!

01-30-11 10:14 PM
    I'm sure there will be some signal loss. Depending how you hold it
    01-30-11 10:39 PM
    You will definitely lose the ability to do a battery pull.....
    ... or a battery swap.
    01-30-11 10:40 PM
    You will definitely lose the ability to do a battery pull.....
    This was actually quite funny lol

1812dave likes this.
    01-30-11 11:24 PM
    Is your email on the iphone really that much slower? I'd be interested to hear from others on this issue as well.

Thanks!

No. There are 2 ways to set up your email account. You either active-sync it or having your phone check for the messages on given periods (or do it manually any timeby pushing on the mail icon).

Most people just don't understand what activesync is really and never even tried doing it with their google or yahoo or hotmail account. Those are all possible and a quick google search how to set up each of them will give you the tutorial. Somehow it's just lost in translation or Apple didn't promote it enough to have that info shown as a primary feature, which will give instant email delivery.
    It's exactly just like the bb push-mail technology.

The drawback is that many reporting, their battery life is somewhat decreased, but those are not confirmed really, since everyone has different apps installed and different way of setting up about location based services and a whole lot of other stuff with accounts and setups etc.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 01-31-11 at 12:19 AM.
    01-31-11 12:16 AM
    ... or a battery swap.
    That's a big deal for me. I can't take the iphone seriously as a business device unless I can swap the battery. That alone would keep me w RIM for a long time.

01-31-11 12:35 AM
    That's a big deal for me. I can't take the iphone seriously as a business device unless I can swap the battery. That alone would keep me w RIM for a long time.

or...you could use an Android. The Jesus phone is in a class by itself, due to the battery situation, and I don't say that in a good way.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-31-11 10:03 AM
    or...you could use an Android. The Jesus phone is in a class by itself, due to the battery situation, and I don't say that in a good way.
    I think the battery situation is a big part of Apple's marketing/sales strategy. The battery dies in a couple of years (or less) and their expectation is that people will buy a new Apple device to replace it. Most people seem to do that.

As for me, I'd try the Droid Pro, but I'm stuck with ATT through work. And I'm reasonably happy with my 9700.

01-31-11 10:51 AM
    I think the battery situation is a big part of Apple's marketing/sales strategy. The battery dies in a couple of years (or less) and their expectation is that people will buy a new Apple device to replace it. Most people seem to do that.

As for me, I'd try the Droid Pro, but I'm stuck with ATT through work. And I'm reasonably happy with my 9700.

Lots of people do lots of dumb things.
    01-31-11 12:20 PM
    Does the iPhone support multiple custom sound/alert Profiles like the BlackBerry does?
    Yes, it does... and with different ringtones you choose for each different contact.
    01-31-11 12:52 PM

Thanks!

I used a BB (Bold 9780) as a primary phone with iPhone on WiFi on my desk. I used gmail accounts.
    When emails have arrived, iPhone rings first, followed by BB shortly after, then desktop much later.
    BB's push mail legend, when they embraced it with their proprietary server, has now become a mythology. iPhone's email is far superior with instant push mail, clear and legible fonts, perfect rendition of HTML mails and no truncating etc.
    But to me, BB is so handy and very easy to use for anything "text based", and that's how BB's were created after Palm Pilots/Treo etc.
    You should have no concerns about the email capability of iPhone.
    01-31-11 01:13 PM
    I used a BB (Bold 9780) as a primary phone with iPhone on WiFi on my desk. I used gmail accounts.
    When emails have arrived, iPhone rings first, followed by BB shortly after, then desktop much later.
    BB's push mail legend, when they embraced it with their proprietary server, has now become a mythology. iPhone's email is far superior with instant push mail, clear and legible fonts, perfect rendition of HTML mails and no truncating etc.
    But to me, BB is so handy and very easy to use for anything "text based", and that's how BB's were created after Palm Pilots/Treo etc.
    I have to admit that my Touch displays emails they way they ought to be displayed. My storm's idea of displaying an email is to make it FUGLY!! (not to mention truncations)
    01-31-11 01:20 PM
    <snipped>
    Oops, sorry, I somehow used the past tense. I "AM" currently using the Bold 9780 as a primary phone switching from iPhone, and I am not particularly advocating the iPhone. I was only responding to the particular query about the email capability of the iPhone.
    RIM's OS, which is obviously an evolution from the text based, hierarchical menu system of the past, enabled them using lower speed CPU etc (which means a longer battery life etc), until they hit the wall when a better rendition of graphical interface (i.e., internet etc) became mandatory.
    I have been a user of iPhone since its inception but I found the advantage of BB's OS quite accidentally. My attraction to BB is the very archaic menu system itself :-). For anything text based, such as calendar, tasks, and to do's etc, I love BB. I can call up these programs by a keyboard shortcut and navigate with the excellent trackpad system, all by one hand! OS6 gave me somewhat more "usable" browser experience. Touch screen is good but sometimes gets in your way. This is why I prefer using the BB for everyday use and abuse.
    I am looking forward to Dakota but wish it is based on Bold 9700/9780 form factor even though the larger screen would be the whole point. If it has a pinch to zoom capability, that's all I need as I usually need to see only part of the screen on internet or maps. For any intensive browsing, I simply go to something else, be it a laptop or iPad etc or wait until I can get to them.
    I hope I can continue with this 9780 until Dakota becomes a reality :-). If not, I will be right back to my iPhone for everyday use.
    I am somewhat a weird breed of BB user in that push email or qwerty keyboard (I can type way faster on iPhone's touch keyboard), 2 most desired features of BB, were not the deciding factor to switch to a BB.
    I believe the present RIM OS has hit the wall to its limit, just like M$'s Windows' piggybacking the old DOS has reached a plateau. QNX is probably at least one year away and I am hoping that the new breed of BB's with OS 6.1 just recently leaked will carry us for at least another 12 month once they have been released.
    Sorry for rambling.
    01-31-11 02:29 PM
    Yes, ActiveSync is fast.

There is also now a Microsoft OneNote app for iOS that syncs with Office OneNote Web App. WhatsApp, a FFC and Skype with Video Calls.

Don't care how many useless apps are in Apple's App Store, but all the good ones tend to come first to iOS and are typically much better developed than for other platforms.

Archaic menu systems aren't an advantage. Windows Mobile has archaic menu systems as well and it isn't winning any prizes. It's not hard to touch an icon on a screen.

The menu system is nice for the keyboard shortcuts (some of them can break a finger), but when you're navigating the menus in the apps they are often isorganized, way too large, and clunky at best... The Email App menu is way too large for comfort, IMO. Is it that hard to put a send/reply button on the screen (other than screen space limitations, I guess)?
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-31-11 at 02:35 PM.
    01-31-11 02:32 PM
    Yes, ActiveSync is fast.

Archaic menu systems aren't an advantage. Windows Mobile has archaic menu systems as well and it isn't winning any prizes. It's not hard to touch an icon on a screen.

The menu system is nice for the keyboard shortcuts (some of them can break a finger), but when you're navigating the menus in the apps they are often isorganized, way too large, and clunky at best... The Email App menu is way too large for comfort, IMO. Is it that hard to put a send/reply button on the screen (other than screen space limitations, I guess)?
    Quite true and I completely agree.
    At present, the way I use it, BB (9780) works just fine. If I have to go away from desktop or computer for an extended time, such as out of town trip etc, I surely switch to iPhone.
    I kind of like the Bold's form factor (compactness). So, I use the BB almost for its "handiness" but no more than that.
    01-31-11 02:50 PM
    Yes, ActiveSync is fast.
    I've got a Touch that syncs to Google calendar using Exchange. Is that what "activesync" is? If so, it's pretty much instantaneous--at least for me. I can put an appt. on my PC and in less than a second it shows on my Touch.

It's rather slow on deletions though--that takes about 2-3 seconds.
    01-31-11 03:10 PM
    What I gained by going to Torch from iPod Touch (not counting phone-based things):
    - ability to type WITHOUT looking at the keyboard
    - Ability to use themes (yes I know you can jailbreak for this, but I refuse to)
    - Ability to use apps that integrate into the OS
    - Ability to use the device for more than 5 hours
    - Ability to transfer media to device in under 15 minutes (iTunes takes forever to load on Windows...)
    - Ability to beta-test apps
    - Ability to copy/paste files to my device instead of NEEDING to go through an extra program
    - Ability to actually find what I'm looking for in the app store (for Apple it took forever to sort through the hundreds of thousands of apps to find one that did what I wanted...)
    - Ability to download podcasts that aren't in iTunes
    - Ability to download a file from a website
    - File manager
    - SureType virtual keyboard
    - much quicker to pause/play music (it takes one click on Torch, on iPod it took 2 clicks one tap to pause, then if I decided in 5 minutes I wanted to start it again it was 1 click 1 swipe 6 taps...)
    - convenience keys (to open the camera on iPhone, you must locate the app and tap it, on the Torch I just press the convenience key)
    - Ability to zoom in a way that makes sense in the camera app (swipe up or down on the screen or use volume up/down or swipe trackpad up/down on Torch, the only way I've figured out on iPhone is to "tickle" the screen, then move a slider...)
    - I no longer have a device that can be bricked (until you plug it into the computer) by a simple key combination
    - In App world, an app doesn't show if it doesn't support your device. In Apple's App Store, it doesn't tell you until you're downloading it...
    - I couldn't figure out how to get push notifications to work, but even with them I would have had to swipe between all of the different frames of apps to see if I have anything new. On my Torch I can just take a quick peek at my side to see if I have a flashing light, or when the screen's on I can just look at the notification bar.
    - Texting, BBM, email, Facebook, Twitter, and RSS feeds are 3 apps, not 6. I prefer it like that

And things that I haven't tried to change first-hand, but have seen on a friend's iPhone 4:
    - Text messages pop right up over everything else, disrupting games and turning the screen on in your pocket (static!!!)
    - higher data usage than me, doesn't use anywhere near as many data services as me
    - AntennaGate
    - Browser doesn't show content as well. Faster to load, but doesn't actually show as well...
    01-31-11 07:51 PM
    What I gained by going to Torch from iPod Touch (not counting phone-based things):
    - ability to type WITHOUT looking at the keyboard
    - Ability to use themes (yes I know you can jailbreak for this, but I refuse to)
    - Ability to use apps that integrate into the OS
    - Ability to use the device for more than 5 hours
    We have 4 ipod Touchs in the house. NONE of them can go five hours with normal usage. The only way to get that kind of battery life is to watch video files or play music. Internet stuff keeps the battery life down to around 3 and and half hours (roughly). And gaming?? Yikes, something like Angry Birds will deplete the battery in less than 3 hours.
    01-31-11 08:03 PM
    Ok, I've been patiently waiting for the iPhone to make its way to Verizon and the day has finally come (February 3) and I couldn't be more excited (accept for the hefty $200 price tag WITH a 2 year contract)! Don't get me wrong, I love my BB Storm but we all know that it is lacking in areas that the iPhone excels in. Anyway, before i part with my beloved BB Storm, I'm curious what features/aspects that are on the BB phones that I will lose when I upgrade to an Iphone?

For example, I'm sure there is no BB messenger or that little "D" above the check mark when you text someone. These are little things but I like them. I'm also gonna miss the customization you can do with a BB like put your own wallpaper on the home screen.
    1. Integrated applications

2. Mass Storage Mode (Using your phone like a Flash drive) The feature is not on the iPhone, which is weird, becuse it is on the iPod classic

3. Blackberry can be used on almost every carrier in the world (over 475 of them). In the US, the iPhone is available on AT&T and Verizon only.

4.Blackberry is available in five form factors � small keyboard, large keyboard, no keyboard, flip phone, and candy-bar.

5. Blackberries have keyboards, so you can actually type fast and with no errors. Helps while driving, walking, carrying something in your other hand � all the time. iPhone: well�

6. Blackberry uses standardized (=inexpensive and available everywhere in the world) MicroUSB connector for synchronization/charging. iPhone has a much larger proprietary 30-pin connector.

7. carriers such as Verizon and Sprint offer unlimited international Blackberry data roaming for $40/month or less. iPhone does not. This could save you literally tens of thousands of dollars when you are abroad.

8. Blackberry has expandable memory. iPhone is fixed and sold at 8, 16 or 32 gig only.

9. Blackberry has removable and expandable battery. iPhone is fixed.

10. Blackberry allows programs to multitask. iPhone has limited multitasking.

11. Blackberry allows communicating peer-to-peer via PIN identifier, circumventing the email system. (Not talking about BBM) No such iPhone equivalent.

12.Skype on the Blackberry? Yes, from anywhere to anywhere. Skype on iPhone? Only if you�re on WiFi.

13. Sling on the Blackberry? Yes, it�s free. Sling on iPhone? $30.

14. Blackberry can be synchronized to multiple computers simultaneously, if you have multiple computers.

15. Multiple Blackberries can receive the same email feeds simultaneously, if you have multiple Blackberries.

16. Blackberry can sort the address book entries by company name, so you can scroll down a long list of names you don�t remember, but you just want to see who works for which company. Aside from sorting, the iPhone can take several seconds to search your address book, particularly if you have several thousand address book entries.

17. Blackberry isn�t slowed down by having, say, 10,000 or 100,000 address book entries. Try using an iPhone with 10,000 address book entries.

18. Blackberry is available with multiple browsers from multiple suppliers. iPhone is available only with its standard Safari browser.

19. Blackberry synchronizes with iTunes � and every other media management program.

20. Blackberry models with 480 pixel resolution and WiFi offer PrimeTime2Go, an $8/month TV service that works as a DVR.

21. Blackberry fits as many emails in the inbox as there is memory available (typically many tens of thousands). iPhone is limited to 200 emails. Yes, iPhone has a remote look-up capability, but that doesn�t do you any good when you�re on an airplane or are otherwise out of coverage.

22. Prepaid �no contract� flexibility: iPhone is sold with a 2-year contract only, although once upon a time it offered a �contract-free� iPhone if you paid close to $899 up-front for the iPhone itself.

23. Can be fully integrated with the Playbook. No word yet on any iPhone+iPad Integration with future devices.

24. Blackberry is an encrypted military-grade security platform, with 100% market share at FBI, CIA, White House, Congress, Department of Defense, major consultancies and major investment banks. In contrast, iPhone has security vulnerabilities.

Here is a link to a PDF document with details as to why the Blackberry is the only platform approved for use in our national security agencies. It compares against the iPhone and Microsoft Mobile platforms.
    01-31-11 09:29 PM
    Here's something I just noticed, Verizon is only getting the 16GB iPhone. WTF?? Why aren't they going to carry the 32GB as well??
    02-01-11 03:13 AM
    If you have your email address that comes with a web domain, can the iphone get instant notifications without exchange or is it just pull? Blackberry can, 10 of them.
    02-01-11 05:14 AM
    19. Blackberry synchronizes with iTunes � and every other media management program.
    [/URL]
    And it can do so via wifi, something the iphone can't do.
    02-01-11 05:18 AM
    Yes, ActiveSync is fast.

There is also now a Microsoft OneNote app for iOS that syncs with Office OneNote Web App. WhatsApp, a FFC and Skype with Video Calls.

Don't care how many useless apps are in Apple's App Store, but all the good ones tend to come first to iOS and are typically much better developed than for other platforms.

Install Quicklaunch and you'll never have to use the menu again, you can launch all apps and functions just using the buttons, you can launch 3 different apps just by clicking the space bar 2,3 or 4 times.
    02-01-11 05:25 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD