What you will lose...

The ability to set your own ringtone for free. You can purchase ringtones in the iTunes store, but you have to learn some tricks to use your own mp3 file (converted to m4a actually).

The ability to set your own sounds for e-mail, texts, mms, etc. There is no way to change the default sounds with the unjailbroken device.

The ability to transfer pics TO the phone. You can transfer pics off the iPhone, but not on. You would have to e-mail or MMS to your iPhone from another phone.

The ability to save a song or video file from your browser. Big no no on the iPhone.

Basically most the fun things you can do with any phone directly is gone. It has great apps. Any other device simply needs to connect to the PC and use as a drive. iPhone, not so much.
    You can make ur ringtones pretty easily with itunes itself, limit is 30 secs which is the prob.
    Photos i have transferred no prob at all.

Both are smart phones and can do almost what u want.

The main diff is whether u like a touch phone or the qwerty keypad. That will decide which one is better for you. I am using both and prefer the bb anyday(prefer the keypad) though i love some of the apps on the iphone and its simplicity. My 3yr old son mastered it in 2 days.
    02-01-11 05:33 AM
    7. carriers such as Verizon and Sprint offer unlimited international Blackberry data roaming for $40/month or less. iPhone does not. This could save you literally tens of thousands of dollars when you are abroad.
    Actually, no. Verizon got ride of its unlimited international data roaming. The new price structure is pretty close to AT&T's now.
    02-01-11 09:33 AM
    22. Prepaid �no contract� flexibility: iPhone is sold with a 2-year contract only, although once upon a time it offered a �contract-free� iPhone if you paid close to $899 up-front for the iPhone itself.
    You seriously might want to check your facts. VZW will offer the iPhone on a one year contract.
    02-01-11 09:35 AM
    Making ringtones is pretty easy with the iPhone, too, FYI. I don't see why people always say it's "hard"...
    02-01-11 10:45 AM
    Here's something I just noticed, Verizon is only getting the 16GB iPhone. WTF?? Why aren't they going to carry the 32GB as well??
    Not true. They will have 16 & 32 for $199 & $299

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 11:55 AM
    Incredible reply FM, I was impressed. And learned more about iPhone and BB all at once. Kudos to you my friend. Thank you.

02-02-11 04:44 PM
    You seriously might want to check your facts. VZW will offer the iPhone on a one year contract.
    Out of FM's whole list of stuff you going to suggest him to check his facts over a contract? If he is wrong on the contract situation you couldntnlet that slide. You might want to wait for vzm to start selling them before you start argueing what the contracts is going to be. Vzm is advertizing around here 2 year only contracts. They say they can't sell an iphone out right. Once upone a time there was something wierd about this with att. They couldn't sell an iphone out right. Something about apple.

02-02-11 06:14 PM
    I'm surprised it took 47 replies before multi-tasking was brought up. Thats a pretty big feature for me and I assumed most people with smart phones would use it as well.
    02-03-11 10:11 AM
    And it can do so via wifi, something the iphone can't do.
    I forgot to add that you can create playlists on the blackberry as well. But you cant on the iPhone.
    02-03-11 12:56 PM
    I switched from a Storm 2 to a Torch. I'm kinda wondering if I should had gotten the iPhone...
    02-03-11 01:28 PM
    I switched from a Storm 2 to a Torch. I'm kinda wondering if I should had gotten the iPhone...
    Lol, read the above posts and you'll know.

02-03-11 01:45 PM
    5 minute re-boots is the feature you will probably miss the most
    02-03-11 02:32 PM
    My main beef when I went to the iPhone 4 was the stupid popup everytime I got a text and not being able to do themes. You could only change the wallpaper. Once I jailbroke I was a happy camper. Now not having a popup for texts and by having a little icon on my status bar for notifications and double tapping it to bring up the text is great. I can even send and receive texts from the lockscreen. Having the ability to change a theme is great. Battery life is very good on the iPhone. After all the customizations I have done with my i4 I could never go back to stock apple. I can only use an iPhone being jailbroken. Simply awesome
    02-03-11 02:45 PM
    I ordered a Iphone today and I cant wait to get it. I've been a bb user over two years. I love all that it do. I will surely keep it as a backup. Right now I'm just looking forward to something different. I think I just got board with the bb and wanted to try something different!!! Sometimes change is good. Hopefully I will be successful with jailbreaking it. I love themes!!!
    02-03-11 04:29 PM
    Unfortunately, this is not true. You can create playlists right on the iPhone (Very simple too).
    Well i'm not talking about 3rd party apps that makes Playlists on the phone.

and it seems that your playlists get deleted after syncing

iPhone 4 - Playlist created in the phone gets reset / deleted after syncing
    02-03-11 05:22 PM
    I ordered a Iphone today and I cant wait to get it. I've been a bb user over two years. I love all that it do. I will surely keep it as a backup. Right now I'm just looking forward to something different. I think I just got board with the bb and wanted to try something different!!! Sometimes change is good. Hopefully I will be successful with jailbreaking it. I love themes!!!
    Let's see if Verizon's data compression makes video and music less appealing that it should be. It would be a shame to have a retina display and get crappy video quality from netflix, youtube, et al. My BB has never gotten a good youtube stream, despite my trying all sort of tricks for attempting to get the "HQ" streams. My Touch looks a 1000x better when I stream the same youtube videos because it's not a BB device. Youtube compresses what goes to BB devices. RIM's servers do compression. NOW we have to put up with Verizon compressing data for EVERY DEVICE. Scum suckers.
    02-03-11 06:26 PM
    Not dropping calls will be missed.
    02-04-11 08:32 AM
    I am currently working with a client that packs an iPhone.

When I finish an upgrade to the website, I send an Email detailing the changes for her approval. Then I have to send her a SMS text to let her know she has mail.

If I don't do it that way, it could be hours or days before she gets around to checking her Email.

02-04-11 10:33 AM
    I am currently working with a client that packs an iPhone.

When I finish an upgrade to the website, I send an Email detailing the changes for her approval. Then I have to send her a SMS text to let her know she has mail.

If I don't do it that way, it could be hours or days before she gets around to checking her Email.

So iphone doesn't notify on email arrivals? Unbelievable. But if true then even more unbelievable is there is not an "app" for that.
    02-04-11 11:55 AM
    LOL, Reed! Yes, lack of push emails and that notification light is indeed the iphone's downfall. Everything else is good, though!

Current devices: Bold 9700, iphone 4, Nexus One (two lines though!)
    02-04-11 12:09 PM
    LOL, it is particularly frustrating because I work with a collaborator in Australia using Messenger. It is not unusual for us to send multiple messages while tweaking the code to perfection. The different time zones means we have a limited window to collaborate.

Then, full stop while we wait hours, or days, for the client to respond. It took a while before I figured out the problem was her lack of pushed content and a notifier. That is when I started using SMS as a notifier.

Another thing, forget about sending URLs via SMS. Not only does it not open a Browser, no clipboard, the client can't copy and paste either.

On a positive note, the iPhone Browser makes my work look great and happy clients are what pays the bills.
    02-04-11 12:54 PM
    happy clients are what pays the bills.
    Here, here

Reed McLay likes this.
    02-04-11 03:58 PM
    Yep -- friends don't let friends get iphones. It's like bangin your head on a wall trying to have near real-time info exchanges with iphone users.

I have a ball team (14 players) who I need to contact once a week with game details, etc. 12 have blackberries. They get the info by email. 1 doesn't use the interwebs, and the last has an iphone. These last two need to be phoned to relay the information the old fashioned way. I'm half tempted to just drop the iphone user from the team it's such a pain to always need to make the phone call (the other non-techie is a good player, so I'll tolerate him PLUS, he might get a BB soon, so he's said )

haha.

LOL, it is particularly frustrating because I work with a collaborator in Australia using Messenger. It is not unusual for us to send multiple messages while tweaking the code to perfection. The different time zones means we have a limited window to collaborate.

Then, full stop while we wait hours, or days, for the client to respond. It took a while before I figured out the problem was her lack of pushed content and a notifier. That is when I started using SMS as a notifier.

Another thing, forget about sending URLs via SMS. Not only does it not open a Browser, no clipboard, the client can't copy and paste either.

On a positive note, the iPhone Browser makes my work look great and happy clients are what pays the bills.
    02-04-11 10:19 PM
    If she only knew how to setup her phone correctly, she'd get them faster than BBs. Also, I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to sending URLs... my iPhone used to open them just fine in the browser.

Copy and Paste also works fine.

Find smarter clients.
    Will all due respect, this is VERY dependent on the iPhone, the iPhone 3G did not ship with Copy and paste, and it is very likely the customer has a 3G, and many still use 3G's so copy / paste requires an app

ALSO in SMS messages on the 3G, and I believe the 3GS also did not create a hyper link of URL's you had to remember them and open them in the browser, the iPhone 4 may have corrected this issue.

and Stupid Clients that pay are the best Clients, they don't try and give input that isn't wanted, and they are most happy with average work.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    02-04-11 10:42 PM
    I just created a thread about this before seeing this thead. Rather than post an entirely new reply, please see my post about what I missed when I switched from BB to iPhone. I'm now switching back to BB.

In short, the notification system and general functionality of the BB interface far surpasses that of the iOS, IMO. The media options on the iPhone are nice but if you find yourself as a primarily text input user rather than say, watching Iron Man 2, on your phone, I think you'll find yourself happier with Blackberry. If the primary use for your phone is music, movies, and games with the occasional text input or phone call, iPhone might be your cup of tea.

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention in my post, the lack of true "Silent" mode on the iPhone 4 is aggravating. There is ringer and vibrate, but no true silence option as on the Blackberry.
    Last edited by a-sweeney; 02-04-11 at 11:20 PM.
    02-04-11 11:17 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD