Ok, I've been patiently waiting for the iPhone to make its way to Verizon and the day has finally come (February 3) and I couldn't be more excited (accept for the hefty $200 price tag WITH a 2 year contract)! Don't get me wrong, I love my BB Storm but we all know that it is lacking in areas that the iPhone excels in. Anyway, before i part with my beloved BB Storm, I'm curious what features/aspects that are on the BB phones that I will lose when I upgrade to an Iphone?

For example, I'm sure there is no BB messenger or that little "D" above the check mark when you text someone. These are little things but I like them. I'm also gonna miss the customization you can do with a BB like put your own wallpaper on the home screen.
    01-30-11 06:33 AM
    jailbreak that iPhone and customize it huh?
    01-30-11 06:38 AM
    Nah. I'm actually a fan of Apple's OS for their computers and iPods, etc. I'll miss the customization aspect but not enough to stay with my BB. Besides, the iPhone has to have SOME customization, right? I just don't know what they are. I know what I'm getting in return which is a fast, user-friendly OS! I'm just curious about what features are on the BB devices that won't be on the iPhone.
    01-30-11 06:55 AM
    Nah. I'm actually a fan of Apple's OS for their computers and iPods, etc. I'll miss the customization aspect but not enough to stay with my BB. Besides, the iPhone has to have SOME customization, right? I just don't know what they are. I know what I'm getting in return which is a fast, user-friendly OS! I'm just curious about what features are on the BB devices that won't be on the iPhone.
    Fast user friendly App launcher...

And Fast browser

from your Strom to the iPhone, Chances are all you are going to Miss is message notification, iPhone does it very differently, but modifications can be made to make it less annoying.

over all if you like Apple Products, and you want to surf the web, the iPhone will be an enjoyable experience for you.
    01-30-11 07:10 AM

over all if you like Apple Products, and you want to surf the web, the iPhone will be an enjoyable experience for you.
    O'h I'm sure! That's why I'll be getting one (once I sell my blood) but what kind of customizations can you do on the iPhone?
    01-30-11 07:19 AM
    LED notifications is all you'll miss. Otherwise the iPhone does everything the BlackBerry does and more!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 07:24 AM
    O'h I'm sure! That's why I'll be getting one (once I sell my blood) but what kind of customizations can you do on the iPhone?

Go to the iPhone forum,
    I find iOS the most horrific Mobile OS, so I have never spent time customizing it,
    01-30-11 07:35 AM
    I disagree. While it's not my cup of tea I don't think it's horrific by any stretch of the imagination. It's pleasant to look at, runs smoothly and is extremely user friendly.

My parents have an iPhone and to my surprise they can actually use it quite well. They're not all that tech savvy.

The browser is excellent! You can definitely customize it using wallpapers, ringtones, sounds and app. You can arrange and label your folders and different screens.

The apps are very useful (plentiful and cheap) and the native email and messaging work fine. Sans LED.

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-30-11 at 07:45 AM.
    01-30-11 07:42 AM
    Does the iPhone support multiple custom sound/alert Profiles like the BlackBerry does?
    01-30-11 07:58 AM
    It has Silent, Vibrate and Ring AFAIK. That's all I use on my BlackBerry (Normal and Silent). I'm not up on newer iPhones multi tasking ability so there may be apps for this now.

My parents have the old iPhone though and I know that one must be JB to do custom sound profiles like the BlackBerry. Not sure about the newer iPhones though.

That's not important for me as my phone is almost always on silent. I know my Tour has like 6 profiles for sound but I never use them. But for some it may be an issue!

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-30-11 at 08:11 AM.
    01-30-11 08:08 AM
    I disagree. While it's not my cup of tea I don't think it's horrific by any stretch of the imagination. It's pleasant to look at, runs smoothly and is extremely user friendly.

My parents have an iPhone and to my surprise they can actually use it quite well. They're not all that tech savvy.

The browser is excellent! You can definitely customize it using wallpapers, ringtones, sounds and app. You can arrange and label your folders and different screens.

The apps are very useful (plentiful and cheap) and the native email and messaging work fine. Sans LED.

You are welcome to disagree with me, which is why I lead with _I_ find it horrific. Everyone differs in their likes and dislikes, I do not find it at all pleasing to the eyes, an app launch pad is not what I wish to look at, the apparent ease of use over other platforms eludes me, it is no easier, nor harder than any main stream touch based UI.
    As for email handling, that is a different animal. And I must leave it to someone who HAS customized their iPhone to be a useful email client

01-30-11 08:11 AM
    It has Silent, Vibrate and Ring AFAIK. That's all I use on my BlackBerry (Normal and Silent). I'm not up on newer iPhones multi tasking ability so there may be apps for this now.

My parents have the old iPhone though and I know that one must be JB to do custom sound profiles like the BlackBerry. Not sure about the newer iPhones though.

That's not important for me as my phone is almost always on silent. I know my Tour has like 6 profiles for sound but I never use them. But for some it may be an issue!

Upon reading the above
    LED notifications is all you'll miss. Otherwise the iPhone does everything the BlackBerry does and more
    Should have said, LED notification is the only thing _I_ would miss, Otherwise the iPhone does everything I use my blackberry for and more

As it is not yet apparent if it does infact have the basic OS features of the Blackberry

01-30-11 08:18 AM
    The only thing stopping me from getting an iPhone is the text popup notification. Otherwise I would agree also that the iPhone does what a BB can and more. From what I know all you can turn off is message preview, but the notification still pops up no matter what you're doing. Has it changed since?
    01-30-11 08:30 AM
    Upon reading the above

Should have said, LED notification is the only thing _I_ would miss, Otherwise the iPhone does everything I use my blackberry for and more

As it is not yet apparent if it does infact have the basic OS features of the Blackberry

True. You never know what another will miss. I suppose you could say SurePress, and a lot of other differences. But like you said, there ae differences in platforms OSs, not necessarily good or bad.

I'm actually getting sick of my BlackBerry LED so I turned it off. I wouldn't miss that either.

01-30-11 08:35 AM
    The only thing that I miss the most on the iphone is the camera and video rec. I remembered I used to take great pic and now I just dont even feel like taking pics anymore. The iphone has some of the greates pics on any phone. Period.
    01-30-11 08:48 AM
    The only thing that I miss the most on the iphone is the camera and video rec. I remembered I used to take great pic and now I just dont even feel like taking pics anymore. The iphone has some of the greates pics on any phone. Period.
    You've never used a Nokia phone, the iPhone displays the pics on the phone the best, but Nokia makes the best Camera phones as a rule

01-30-11 09:02 AM
    It depends on how you've used your BB. It could be that you don't miss anything, but the one button thing bothers me as does the delay in moving between applications. I like to jump around too much. But smartphones rely on personal tastes, no one can really tell you what you will miss.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    01-30-11 09:24 AM
    Some stuff off the top of my head... whether you will actually notice/miss any of these features is up to you:

- Notification LED
    - Status bar notification icons
    - Autotext
    - Specific email signatures for each email account
    - Sound profiles (other than silent/vibe/ring)
    - Customized SMS tones
    - Ability for apps to integrate with the OS (eg. to upload photos to facebook, on BB you can upload directly from the photos app, on iPhone you have to go to the FB app and upload from there)
    - BBM (duh)
    - Ability to dial from the homescreen

Sure there are many more, those are the ones I could think of off the top of my head.
    01-30-11 10:18 AM
    This is a situation that I have been thinking about as of late, as I am in the position to upgrade my phone now and have plenty of options with SaskTel's new 3G+ network.

From what I've worked out:

What I'll miss:
    • BBM (an obvious one, this is how I communicate on my phone 80% of the time)
    • Physical Keyboard (with BBM, Facebook and texting, the way I communicate almost always, I will miss the ease and comfortability of a physical keyboard)
    • OS Customization (loading hybrids, and being able to shrink out what I don't want, worked very well for me)

What I'll gain:
    • Larger Screen
    • More Apps
    • Faster phone and OS
    • ...among other things, you all know about.

I'm glad to see this thread, as it will hopefully make my decision easier.

At this point, I am leaning to giving Blackberry one last shot to wow me, then seeing what iPhone has to offer when a new one is released in June. So I'm thinking about picking up a 9780 (possibly Torch), until then.
    01-30-11 10:34 AM
    This is a situation that I have been thinking about as of late, as I am in the position to upgrade my phone now and have plenty of options with SaskTel's new 3G+ network.

I'm glad to see this thread, as it will hopefully make my decision easier.

At this point, I am leaning to giving Blackberry one last shot to wow me, then seeing what iPhone has to offer when a new one is released in June. So I'm thinking about picking up a 9780 (possibly Torch), until then.
    So you are going to pick up a phone from now until June?

IMO. If the iPhone is really a consideration buy it in a month, grab and unlocked AT&T after the expected 15% of AT&T users move to verizon, and use it till June/July. And see if you like it, then you can make a better choice between Apple and RIM products

01-30-11 10:56 AM
    The features that you'll "lose" depend on how you use a smartphone, like someone else in this thread said. For me personally, I felt that I "lost" the LED notification, sound profiles (and more control over alerts/sounds/etc.), and the keyboard (I came from an 8900). However, the keyboard was easily forgotten, as I mastered the iPhone keyboard pretty quickly. I still miss the LED light and sound profiles, but it's no big deal. The pros of my iPhone outweigh all that, honestly. And I never used BBM.
    01-30-11 11:08 AM
    So you are going to pick up a phone from now until June?

IMO. If the iPhone is really a consideration buy it in a month, grab and unlocked AT&T after the expected 15% of AT&T users move to verizon, and use it till June/July. And see if you like it, then you can make a better choice between Apple and RIM products

I'm actually really experienced with iOS, using both an iPad (since June) and an iPod touch since about '08. I feel I have enough of a grasp on it, for now.

However, I have no experience with BB OS6. The most experience I have is picking it up at the mobility store, playing around with it for about 30 seconds. I was impressed with the speed and the attractiveness of the new OS.

So, the way I'm thinking right now is; my phone is for communication. Right now, the way I communicate is 80% BBM, 15% texting, 5% phone calls (30 mins of talk per month, maybe). An iPhone will push all that BBM to texting, a slower, less convenient service.

I'm not really sure right now, just weighing pros and cons. But it helps a fair amount to see others opinions and see if they apply to my situation.
    01-30-11 11:19 AM
    Wow. Great responses people. Thanks! Sounds like I'm really gonna miss the LED light notification, suretype (which I need) and on top of everything else: sound profiles! I have like 4-6 different ringtones for people in my address book which I find EXTREMELY useful and fun when my phone is not by my side. But I am getting sick of the OS for BB which is slow and can stall sometimes if I have too many apps on it. I'm really annoyed that recently I had to delete 4 apps from my phone just so the OS can run somewhat normal and not stall. I'm sure the same issue happens on the iPhone but from the people I've talked to, it's rare unless they went crazy and just utilized every aspect of the phone (music, apps, e-mail). I don't plan on doing that...but I do plan on downloading the most addictive game ever: ANGRY BIRDS!! lol
    01-30-11 01:30 PM
    You will definitely lose the ability to do a battery pull.....
    vrs626 likes this.
    01-30-11 02:00 PM
    The only reason I have resisted buying an iphone in the past was the cheap international BB plan that I am on. Using Tether to my laptop while overseas is awesome. But last business trip I purchased a cheap prepaid data card for my ipad and used that. So it looks like the only thing stopping me from buying an iphone is drifting away.

01-30-11 02:10 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD