I tried to find a good definition in the 9650 user's manual and via google, but RIM just says to set the browser to hotsport when using wifi. I don't get it. It doesn't seem that this is necessary. When my status shows I'm connected via wifi the browser works just fine set as "internet browser." Does anyone know what this setting is for and why it's needed at all?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 05:02 PM
    i think it just refers to which connection is being used.
    Blackberry browser - via BES, for enterprise activated phones, routed through BES servers
    Internet browser - via regular data package, routing through your provider, or BIS
    Hotspot browser - via your WIFI connection

so, if you are using Hotspot browser, you won't be incurring data charges, for example, or perhaps will be benefitting from the possible greater bandwidth of WiFi

or at least that's what i think.lol
    06-24-10 06:18 PM
    yea,,i think is ur wifi connection...
    06-24-10 06:20 PM
    That makes sense actually. But what I found was that when I'm connected to wifi, the status of the phone's network connections show the BIS as "WiFi" so everything is going through wifi, whether you have it set to hotspot or not. I bet if you set a bookmark to hotspot browser, and you aren't on wifi, it won't connect. Need to test that.
    06-24-10 08:35 PM
    Just tested that. Didn't matter. It connected anyway.
    06-24-10 08:36 PM
    I have wondered this before too, and for all the same reasons you listed. I've tried Hotspot a couple of times and I can never tell the difference like you say. I leave it on Internet Browser all the time now.

I know when you don't have a data plan on your BB you can use the Hotspot Browser to get some internet functions. Or if you have a limited data plan too, but I think you wouldn't be charged for data when connected to Wifi, I could be wrong though...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-10 08:45 PM
    The HotSpot browser is a 100% on-the-device browser that connects directly to the web via a Wi-Fi access point. The HotSpot browser does not require a data plan, except in extreme cases of carrier locking.

All other browsers use your data plan to reach a browser-specific gateway out on the web which does varying degrees of digestion and downsizing of web pages. The WAP, Internet, Bolt, and Opera browsers all operate this way. If you are on Wi-Fi, your BIS will be routed through the access point; if you aren't, it will be routed through your carrier.

See also http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/why-...et-wifi-85060/.
    Last edited by hubermania; 06-25-10 at 01:26 AM.
    06-25-10 01:23 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. So the last question is this - if wifi isn't available, why does everything still run and look the same over the mobile network?

So regarding the default browser setting, hotspot or internet, any thoughts on that? I would think Internet, so when you're not on wifi, it does hit the browser gateway...
    06-25-10 08:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD