I've read about BlackBerry problems and solutions related to 'carriers' like, say, at&t, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc. I've heard about the 'data plan' system used with carriers, so they sell the phone and provide services for that too

Mine however, is a bit complicated: I got it from a vendor named XL Indonesia, but strangely it says right on the box 'at&t', the logo is even printed on my Bold. I got at&t's ringtone and theme and I installed an OS I downloaded for at&t from RIM's website. Lastly my vendor I'd is 102

However, I'm using 3 Indonesia's service right now, and my blackberry email account uses 3 Indonesia as its carrier part (tri.blackberry.com)

As such, I'd like to ask: "What exactly is a 'carrier'"?
    Is it simply the vendor? The service provider? Or it has to be both of them to be called a 'carrier'?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 11:07 PM
    The carrier is your service provider (T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, ect)
    08-20-10 11:17 PM
    In your case the carrier is 3 Indonesia, they "carry" your voice/data over their network. The company that makes the phone is RIM, what logo they stamp on it is really irrelevant, they're the same phones. People just normally buy their phone from their carrier in North America.
    08-20-10 11:17 PM
    the carrier (service provider or just provider) is a cellular service company that is providing the cellular voice/data services.

the vendor is the same thing as the carrier. the Vendor ID shows which carrier the phone was originally assigned to or meant for at the time of manufacture. Vendor ID 102 is AT&T (US). a full list of cellular Vendor ID's can be located on the internet.
    08-20-10 11:29 PM
    Ah, thanks! Glad I asked, I've been wondering about this for the past few days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 12:02 AM
    If you have a GSM provider/carrier, it is possible to unlock the phone so it will be able to use SIM cards from any other GSM provider/carrier in the world.

This is an advantage to customers, since it is cheaper to purchase a prepaid SIM card in a country one is visiting than to pay international rates through one's provider/carrier.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-21-10 12:50 AM