2016 has been a rough year so far for BlackBerry, we know this. The Vienna hasn't been announced yet, the Priv will get Marshmallow a good six months PLUS after launch and even the BB10 phones aren't getting any update love on time, or perhaps even at all (as far as features, rather than security, I concerned).

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely understand that BlackBerry has to break even or make money on hardware to continue. That makes complete sense. What frustrates me is the lack of communication to the customer user base about what happens next.

As far as BB10 phones are concerned, I own everything with the exception of the Z30. They generally seem to be on their last legs. That's fine, I'm not complaining, I just don't know where to go next. The Priv is the obvious choice...but it's now six months old, the price is the same and I don't want to commit that amount of money to a phone I find out is the last one they make, discovering the updates will dry up a further six months down the line.

So, what I want to know is what happened to the Productivity Suite BlackBerry announced in March 2015? They said it was going to be available by the end of the year - no word on it ever again. As far as I am concerned, this is the only way BlackBerry devotees get those features we love in the event the hardware business is properly closed down. If iOS had the Hub via the Productivity Suite, I could happily switch tomorrow to an iPhone and still be supporting BlackBerry. I am sure many would agree to paying /$5 a month or whatever for the Hub on other devices.

It's frustrating that it doesn't exist for two reasons. Firstly, as ever, it's another deadline that BlackBerry haven't stuck to. That being said, missing deadlines is almost par for the course with BlackBerry, so let's park that. Secondly, BlackBerry communicate time after time that they are a software company that have a hardware division. If they are a software company first, prove it. The Productivity Suite on iOS and Android is a massive statement of intent and yet the whole thing seems to have been quietly dropped. To announce it, saying it CAN be done, and then nothing happening with it, it's just really poor.

I want to support BlackBerry any way I can. In the future, the Productivity Suite could be the way. If delivered, a monthly subscription for the features is probably the best way to do it. However it's just another kick in the teeth that something they promised to deliver isn't here. It just seems to leave a bitter taste in the mouth for those of us who are desperately clinging on for a reason not to switch away from the company's offerings.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 01:47 AM
    Likely they couldn't deliver so they abandoned the project. It's typical BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 02:28 AM
    I'm sure it has been dropped.

All reference to it has disappeared from BB's website and nobody from BB mentions it.

IIRC, the apps have been cracked and you could get the same apps as are on the Priv on any Android device.

I doubt it will ever appear on iOS or WinPhone.
    04-02-16 03:26 AM
    I already forgot that one.
    Yes those suites. Well only for the priv it turns out.....
    In my opinion bringing those suites on the market is a great idea.
    Those BlackBerry apps for the priv, do they require something special from a phone to run?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 03:39 AM
    i think he did mention how he would possible put the BB apps or license out their secure version of android (assuming that means dtek would also function) in an interview yesterday but he isnt there yet. So the suite might see the light of day in some shape or form
    04-02-16 05:43 AM