Speculation : I wonder what affect this will have on BB, if any, if it comes to pass.

Internal Documents: Samsung Wants To Abandon Android - Business Insider

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 01:02 AM
    This document is effectively obsolete - Samsung just recently signed a 10-year agreement with Google to fully support Android and even to reduce the amount of TouchWiz customizations and to stop trying to replace Google's apps with S-apps. Samsung would LIKE not to be reliant on Android, but the fact is that they are, and they know it. They were hoping to replace it with Tizen, but that just hasn't worked out, so they've fully committed to Android.

The documents in question were written in 2011 - a lot has changed since then.
    04-12-14 01:51 AM
    This document is effectively obsolete - Samsung just recently signed a 10-year agreement with Google to fully support Android and even to reduce the amount of TouchWiz customizations and to stop trying to replace Google's apps with S-apps. Samsung would LIKE not to be reliant on Android, but the fact is that they are, and they know it. They were hoping to replace it with Tizen, but that just hasn't worked out, so they've fully committed to Android.

The documents in question were written in 2011 - a lot has changed since then.
    Yes, yes... very commited..

They just released a wearable tech product with Tizen on it, when they are supposed to be "fully commited" to Android.

Fully commited, indeed.
    04-12-14 01:55 AM
    04-12-14 01:55 AM
    Right. They've nearly abandoned the development of Tizen for phones and tablets, and have relegated it only to "wearables" and other devices (stoves and refrigerators and such), because after years of working on it, it simply wasn't competitive with Android and other modern OSs.
    04-12-14 01:57 AM
    Right. They've nearly abandoned the development of Tizen for phones and tablets, and have relegated it only to "wearables" and other devices (stoves and refrigerators and such), because after years of working on it, it simply wasn't competitive with Android and other modern OSs.
    Yes you must be correct since you have the information that they just "nearly abandoned" Tizen so that Samsung is "fully commited" to Android. Yes, it must be true.
    04-12-14 01:59 AM
    the document come from year 2011 or 2012....android marketshare not as big as today,

if samsung want to abandon android they are facing a lot of difficulities..they still need to support their own OS, creating their own ecosystem. yes..samsung have a lot of money but look how microsoft do today...they have to offer wp8 for free, offering other smartphone maker some money and now their largest partner Nokia also start making their own android phone...
    04-12-14 02:11 AM
    Interesting read and speculation but I think these are just a set of creative quotes used by Apple lawyers to frame their overall argument.

I don't think we are breaking new ground by saying their is an uneasy relationship between Samsung and Google. Why? First, your dealing with two big titans who are linked at the hip from a business perspective. While they need each other, one is always trying to destabilize the other to create a competitive advantage during contract negotiations. This is sort of normal business activity.
    However, if you get past this, I think there is a deeper issue. The Android platform has always had its challenges and these limitations maybe impairing Samsung's ability to penetrate new markets. At the moment, the biggest of these is security. Like it or not, most countries do not trust Google given their long history of complicity with the NSA. I think Samsung's multi billion dollar obsession with the failed Knox system is an expression of that anxiety.

This may leave an opening for BlackBerry. It is a question of how serious Samsung is in regards to secure platform communications. It might help them grow market share but they would have enter into another licensing agreement. Anything is possible but who really knows.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-14 02:50 AM