Sometimes my media application UI looks like this:

Why does it say "scanning" down at the bottom? This only happens once in awhile, but once it shows up, it stays like that. TIA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-10 01:54 PM
    I won't swear and could be wrong but I believe its scanning for new media(pics,songs,etc.)

I get that whenever I am hooked to my pc and turn on mass media for transfers.

Why it stays on is anyones guess,but I hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else knows better

PM1

05-09-10 02:02 PM
    Yes. Each time the device exits Mass Storage Mode, it must rescan the media on the Media Card into the library on the device.

Depending upon how much data you have on the card, it could take a little while to scan all the data.
    05-09-10 02:04 PM
    Thanks to both of you. That explains it!

05-09-10 02:43 PM
    Okay, bringing this up again, because I'm sick of seeing this function get "stuck" on my device. It's not the normal scanning. That takes 3-5 seconds for the blue bar to fill in. This gets stuck like the pic indefinitely (till a battery pull). Why's it happening?
    Last edited by T�nis; 06-11-11 at 01:49 PM.
    06-11-11 01:45 PM
    Okay, bringing this up again, because I'm sick of seeing this function get "stuck" on my device. It's not the normal scanning. That takes 3-5 seconds for the blue bar to fill in. This gets stuck like the pic indefinitely (till a battery pull). Why's it happening?
    You must have a lot of photos/video/music on the memory card. I remenber having this problem with my 8320 and by the looks of it you're on OS4.5 there.

06-11-11 03:37 PM
    Yes, I'm on 4.5. I do have a lot of photos, but no music or vids. The thing is, when I open my media folder and see it scan, it doesn't usually take long -- about 5 seconds, and it's done. Other times it doesn't scan at all, which is fine, and still other times it just sits there like this, doing nothing. I don't think it's scanning or doing anything else (except maybe killing my battery). I wonder if there's a way to force a scan in situations like this ...

Last edited by T�nis; 06-11-11 at 03:50 PM.
    06-11-11 03:43 PM
    Yes, I'm on 4.5. I do have a lot of photos, but no music or vids. The thing is, when I open my media folder and see it scan, it doesn't usually take long -- about 5 seconds, and it's done. Other times it doesn't scan at all, which is fine, and still other times it just sits there like this, doing nothing. I don't think it's scanning or doing anything else (except maybe killing my battery). I wonder if there's a way to force a scan in situations like this ...

I would back them up with the DM and then delete them and reformat the memory card. Start fresh.
    What size is the memory card by the way?

06-11-11 03:54 PM
    It's 2gigs. That's not a bad idea, and it might be the only way to solve the problem, but it would be a pita, because many of my pics are encrypted. I wouldn't be able to use mass storage mode. I'd have to use DM's ultra-slow Roxio Media Manager.

06-11-11 03:57 PM
    It's 2gigs. That's not a bad idea, and it might be the only way to solve the problem, but it would be a pita, because many of my pics are encrypted. I wouldn't be able to use mass storage mode. I'd have to use DM's ultra-slow Roxio Media Manager.

Lol, dude, time to update your DM, Roxio is long gone and the very latest DM supports encripted photos too, last update was a few days ago.

06-11-11 03:59 PM
    Lol, dude, time to update your DM, Roxio is long gone and the very latest DM supports encripted photos too, last update was a few days ago.

That is awesome. Thank you for this! I've been asking for a long time if DM6 has got encryption yet. Off to update now ...

06-11-11 04:01 PM
    Hi Tonis I had to add my 2 cents. It is the equivalent of indexing a folder so when you select it, it doesn't have to search for the file. I'm pretty certain if you disable content protection it will take a lot less time to scan. I have noticed that it scans after adding new files and after a reboot.

06-12-11 03:54 PM
    Hi Tonis I had to add my 2 cents. It is the equivalent of indexing a folder so when you select it, it doesn't have to search for the file. I'm pretty certain if you disable content protection it will take a lot less time to scan. I have noticed that it scans after adding new files and after a reboot.

Thanks, albee 1, for the explanation. It makes sense that it has something to do with indexing. And I noticed, too, that it often happens if I add or (more often) delete a photo. What's strange is I've seen it scan with the blue line filling in and being done in five seconds, and I've also seen it stay like the picture (no blue line or other noticeable activity) for days (until a battery pull). In any case, I reformatted my card and re-added my files using DM6. I'll see how it goes from now on. I'm very excited DM6 now supports the transfer of encrypted media card files.

06-12-11 04:04 PM
    You know you can go to Options/Memory, highlight Media Card, press Menu/Repair and it will ask if you would like to save found clusters. I have always said no. I think in its own way it is defragging the card. I have gained lost space this way.

06-12-11 06:13 PM
    You know you can go to Options/Memory, highlight Media Card, press Menu/Repair and it will ask if you would like to save found clusters. I have always said no. I think in its own way it is defragging the card. I have gained lost space this way.

Sounds like a good feature. I'll keep it in mind for when I get a new device ... My primitive os doesn't have option>memory.

Last edited by T�nis; 06-12-11 at 06:22 PM.
    06-12-11 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD