Microsoft- Windows mobile 7
    New revamped OS, new High-end devices
    Netflix streaming announced today!!!

Apple
    Ipad pre-orders estimated over 100,000 (not confirmed)!!!
    Iphone 4G (Love or hate them, you know they will have a new one this summer and sell tons)
    App Store

Google/Android
    Tons of announced/leaked High end devices (Nexus 1/Desire, Incredible, Supersonic, HTC legend...probably many more to come)

Palm
    3D Gaming

RIM
    Tour 2 (probably with mostly tour 1 specs), BB slider(ugly i.m.o), Storm 3, Magnum..
    Email and Security

Am I crazy or is there something wrong with this picture?

I know RIM is great for enterprise and they currently lead the smartphone market, but do they actually think that their consumers will replace their current bb with another bb when their contract is up or versus one of the options above? I personally will be switching to the next 1Ghz android phone that sprint gets or windows mobile 7

Where are the cool open GL games?

Wifi and Trackpad are nice but will not cut it as innovative cool features in 2010

I love my blackberry and I never thought I would get anything else but like most of us, I also like cool tech. I just hope RIM doesn't wait till they are so far behind before they realize that consumers want cool phones and they want them NOW!!.

Let me know what you think?
    03-15-10 09:20 PM
    You oversimplified the RIM section pretty immensely, on purpose to make a point no doubt...

Webkit browser isn't even mentioned?

Palm has 3d gaming and that somehow puts them in a good spot for 2010? Palm is 100x more screwed than RIM is right now... Sorry, 3d gaming isn't gonna save Palm.
    03-15-10 09:32 PM
    You oversimplified the RIM section pretty immensely, on purpose to make a point no doubt...

Webkit browser isn't even mentioned?

Palm has 3d gaming and that somehow puts them in a good spot for 2010? Palm is 100x more screwed than RIM is right now... Sorry, 3d gaming isn't gonna save Palm.

Agreed. I just mentioned Palm cos that is at least somethin exciting about the platform

You do help my point by mentioning webkit. If webkit is what we have to be excited about and look forward to, then it will be a very underwhelming year.
    03-15-10 09:40 PM
    I agree.

RIM is not releasing any phones that seem like the "got to have it" type of phone.

I have Sprint too, and switching to the darkside, HTC Supersonic, is way too tempting(my 8330m is a dinosaur compared to it).

The cell phone world is now a full fledged multi-media experience. So RIM's focus on professional type services will not recieve the same hype as these new "pocket computers".
    03-15-10 09:41 PM
    Agreed. I just mentioned Palm cos that is at least somethin exciting about the platform

You do help my point by mentioning webkit. If webkit is what we have to be excited about and look forward to, then it will be a very underwhelming year.
    That's just the thing though, I have not heard or seen any solid details on future OS releases for this year. New devices often lead to new OS iterations.

Lack of solid information leads to rampant speculation that the BB platform is dead, etc, regardless of gains in marketshare...

If someone like VZ was the pushing force behind the slider, expect it to sell and sell big, regardless of however many people on this forum say it's ugly, etc.
    03-15-10 09:44 PM
    Webkit browser is in store which is great!

Rim must be doing somethign right with the amount of money they are still profiting per quarter. Plus the number one phone in the world still is the Blackberry Curve a long with many other RIM phones in the top 10
    03-15-10 09:52 PM
    $29 subsidized smartphone that packs in a ton of features is an accomplishment in marketshare and profitability that most on this board won't recognize or care about...
    03-15-10 09:54 PM
    I see what the OP is saying, and sometimes i feel the same. But i also feel that BB is where its at because of what it is, so they dont want to change too much. But yea if you look at webkit, trackpad and some extra phones having wifi, doest seem like much compared to the others. I dont consider any other phones a real professional device though, BB doesnt always seem very "techy" but its the fastest device to get, write or look at an email, its just..easy.

I dont know, i feel like i have caught the techy bug too sometimes, but i dont think i could get rid of my BB.
    03-15-10 09:54 PM
    I don't think that BB is dead. I just agree with the sentiments on the latest podcast that they will have to come up with something completely new to follow up the 9700 which I think is a great phone. Increasing memory and camera mp is fine but the OS has to change (my opinion). They should have a skinned OS for regular consumers that is more UI pretty and maybe an option to unlock other non relevant options for the hardcore fans that want to tinker. I don't understand or use half the settings but RIM feels its important that they are there and visible.
    03-15-10 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD