I keep reading the word "provision" in various places regarding email primarily, but also other Blackberry (and possibly other) wireless functions.

I've googled the word several ways and can't find anything except phrases where the word is used, but nothing that defines what it *means*. Example - on my shipping docs when I got my Storm is a line that says "Blackberry Corp Provision" at the end of the list of plan features - gee, great - what the heck IS it?

???
    03-27-09 03:36 PM
    Hi Silverface!

I have never seen that however I have a curve. I bet if you put this same question in the storm forum more people might know.

Where Im from "provisions" are something the Amish folk go to town for a couple times a week.
    03-27-09 04:02 PM
    This is from an on line dictionary;

provision (pr-vzhn) The act of supplying or providing for.

I found this with a quick Google search.

The BlackBerry Provisioning System is used to assign BlackBerry services to BlackBerry smartphones and activate BlackBerry services for BlackBerry smartphones.

This is how you end up with the service books, data plan, web access etc... through the provisioning from who ever you have for service, Sprint VZW etc...

That's my understanding of it.
    03-27-09 04:07 PM

Where Im from "provisions" are something the Amish folk go to town for a couple times a week.
    that's funny...
    03-27-09 04:08 PM
    Provisioning, as it relates to telecom (from Newton's Telecom Dictionary, 16th. ed.) is "The act of supplying telecommunications services to a user, including all associated transmission, wiring, and equipment...."

As it relates to cell service your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier - the unique hardware identifier for YOUR cellphone) must be associated by a provider with their network including their billing system, and all services "turned on."

This is basically the "initiation" of your phone into a live network. This is what some providers charge an "activation fee" for.

Hope that's helpful.
    03-27-09 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD