Curious if I were to lose access to a BES what would be my options. The two I came up with was keeping it in Outlook and using the BB Desktop manager to USB sync my BB. The second option, not sure how it works is using Gmail to wirelessly sync Contacts and Calendar.

Thought it would be good to get the community involved and see what actual BB users without a BES are doing, and how it works for them.

Thanks,
    09-27-11 07:57 AM
    I sync my MS Office calendar, contacts, tasks and notes with BB Desktop Manager (USB cable or Bluetooth) on my laptop. Takes a few minutes initially to set it up but yer good to go after that...
    09-27-11 08:11 AM
    Yep, Outlook for me using Desktop Manager.
    09-27-11 09:09 AM
    Agreed. MS Outlook using DM over bluetooth. Works like a charm.
    09-27-11 09:19 AM
    You can also sync Contacts and Calendar through BIS (check the boxes during your BIS email setup) or with Google Sync. We have dozens of post BES users all on Google Sync now with virtually no issues.
    09-27-11 09:44 AM
    Outlook and DM also here.
    09-27-11 09:51 AM
    You can also sync Contacts and Calendar through BIS (check the boxes during your BIS email setup) or with Google Sync. We have dozens of post BES users all on Google Sync now with virtually no issues.
    Which online services sync Calendar, and Contacts using BIS beside Gmail? Does Google sync work better syncing Calendar and Contacts than the BIS or do you use the Google sync along with checking the boxes for Calendar and Contacts on the BIS?

Thanks for the insight.
    09-27-11 11:14 AM
    Which online services sync Calendar, and Contacts using BIS beside Gmail? Does Google sync work better syncing Calendar and Contacts than the BIS or do you use the Google sync along with checking the boxes for Calendar and Contacts on the BIS?

Thanks for the insight.
    BIS syncs gmail contacts and calendar, yahoo and hotmail only contacts but you can do them all at the same time and you get separate contacts lists.
    09-27-11 11:22 AM

Thanks for the insight.
    Sorry, but I don't know what other, if any, services also use the BIS sync. You will get differing opinions on which works best, BIS sync or Google Sync, so I guess you should try both and decide for yourself. If you use one then do not use the other or else you will get duplicates and other less than fun issues. I just know that Google Sync works well here and eliminates the need to have Desktop Manager completely, at least for sync. Most users never even load DM and just want something painless that works simply.
    09-27-11 11:23 AM
    Sorry, but I don't know what other, if any, services also use the BIS sync. You will get differing opinions on which works best, BIS sync or Google Sync, so I guess you should try both and decide for yourself. If you use one then do not use the other or else you will get duplicates and other less than fun issues. I just know that Google Sync works well here and eliminates the need to have Desktop Manager completely, at least for sync. Most users never even load DM and just want something painless that works simply.
    Doesn't this only work if your email is a Gmail account?

That is something I don't ever want to have.

Regular ISP hosted pop3 account here. DM for syncing.
    09-27-11 12:07 PM
    Doesn't this only work if your email is a Gmail account?

That is something I don't ever want to have.

Regular ISP hosted pop3 account here. DM for syncing.
    Correct... Google Sync works only with Google Gmail.

I have a hard time understanding why people will want to be tied to DM and a PC in order to sync. It's a smart phone, use that to your advantage. Using BIS or Google sync you don't have to try and remember if you synced since the last time you made a change to your contacts or created a new appointment. It just happens. Just like Gmail... it works, it's free, it's available anywhere I am and on any platform I choose to use. Not a fanboy here, more of a find what works, set it and forget it guy.
    jonathon.94 likes this.
    09-27-11 12:29 PM
    Correct... Google Sync works only with Google Gmail.

I have a hard time understanding why people will want to be tied to DM and a PC in order to sync. It's a smart phone, use that to your advantage. Using BIS or Google sync you don't have to try and remember if you synced since the last time you made a change to your contacts or created a new appointment. It just happens. Just like Gmail... it works, it's free, it's available anywhere I am and on any platform I choose to use. Not a fanboy here, more of a find what works, set it and forget it guy.
    DM syncs and backs up everything you need to replace your BB if/when you replace it for whatever reason. I back up my BB (Bluetooth) every Sunday...habit. If it's lost or stolen I haven't lost a thing and can just dump it into a new one which then becomes a duplicate of what I've lost or replaced. Gmail has your calendar and contacts, but what else can it do for you? DM will replace even the quirkiest ringtones and personal settings just as they used to be.
    09-27-11 12:50 PM
    There is a Google Sync app for Outlook, which will sync contacts and calendar. This is what I used to keep my BB and Outlook on the same page. The two would stay synced up all day long without needing to connect to DM multiple times throughout the day. The downside is that tasks and notes don't sync.
    09-28-11 04:52 AM
    DM syncs and backs up everything you need to replace your BB if/when you replace it for whatever reason. I back up my BB (Bluetooth) every Sunday...habit. If it's lost or stolen I haven't lost a thing and can just dump it into a new one which then becomes a duplicate of what I've lost or replaced. Gmail has your calendar and contacts, but what else can it do for you? DM will replace even the quirkiest ringtones and personal settings just as they used to be.
    Desktop Manager is really the best option for backup of your Blackberry device, but that wasn't the OP's query at all. He was looking for sync options for Contacts and Calendar. BIS and Google Sync are probably your cleanest and easiest options for that. Desktop Manager can perform those same sync options but greatly reduces your portability, requiring you be at least within bluetooth range of an open and running PC with DM also open.

If you're going to talk about backup, don't forget to add Blackberry Protect into the mix. This gives you automatic OTA backup along with device location, wipe, messaging, etc.
    09-28-11 06:09 AM
    Anybody using AstraSync - BlackBerry ActiveSync Compatibility - Sync BlackBerry with Exchange ActiveSync Server
    To connect to an Exchange server using Active Sync? Seems like a solution while waiting for RIM to implement.
    09-30-11 10:22 AM
    I use Desktop Software to sync with Outlook Express.

Sent from my OSBB 9650 using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 10:59 AM
    Synchronize all you want: phone, computer, ...

I have been using Memotoo with Funambol Sync for the past few years and I love it! I run Linux at home, so I don't have the desktop manager/outlook installed. I had a lot of problems with Google Sync doubling up and deleting calendar entries willy-nilly which caused a lot of problems when I had client appointments -- plus, I keep all calendar entries for a minimum of a year before removing for my own records.

I tried a bunch of different options for online type things that I could access from the BB, and Memotoo is by far the best and it's inexpensive if you need to purchase the full version (if you have more than 50 contacts, or want more room)! It syncs your calendar, contacts, emails, photos, memos, to-do lists, and documents, but not your texts/BBM's or programs. They do backups for you, plus they also have an option for you to create your own downloadable backup files to have on hand. I've changed BB's 3 times since using it, and each time it has flawlessly transferred all of my data to the new one OTA.

Funambol Sync has a number of different options for how often you want it to sync, and what data you want synced. I have it syncing on the 9930 every half-hour without any negative impact on battery life.
    09-30-11 11:15 AM
    I couldn't get memtoo to work a few months ago, I'll have to give it another shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD