I dunno. I'm waiting around to find out either. I was asked last nite and this morning why I'm still buying Blackberrys because they are going out of busines and because the new BBs are right around the corner. Thats 2 questions from 2 different in less than 24 hrs.
    I dont think that that way. I like whats out RIGHT now. I bought it. I'm thinking hard about buying a 9900 JUST because. Is it as if something new comes out I cant buy it? Where in the rules does it say I cant have more than 1 BB? I'm already in trouble then.
    I have 6 mustangs stretched between 69'-2010'. I liked different things between all 6. Thought about getting a 2012 because of the modular 5.0. Yes I can only drive 1 at a time, but I drive my F250 98.5% of the time anyway.
    It would really suck over looking the great devices we have now to only not like what comes out next time. What do you do then? wait? waiting is not for me. unless I'm fishing or hunting.
    02-07-12 09:40 AM
    "I'm thinking hard about buying a 9900 JUST because" --

me too, JUST because I want it. But I do really love the white 9900.
    My friends too the other day was saying RIM is going out of business - but can you guess what kind of phone he has (iphone). I love my Blackberry Torch 9800 and cannot survive the day without it.
    02-07-12 03:17 PM
    I have a 9800 also. I didn't think it got any better than that. Well playing w/ the 9900 changed my mind. The 9900 doesn't start to get heavy when your useing the keyboard. Only draw back to the 9800 imho. Don't get me wrong I love my 9800 but the 9900 just blows it away. I haven't seen a white one yet. I'd like to have an olive green one. I'm thinking about taking my 9860 apart and painting it olive green.
    I think Rim could step sales up a notch or 2 if they offered different colors.
    02-07-12 05:22 PM
    iPhone users love to say BB won't be around...they're clueless like deer and headlights
    missing_K-W likes this.
    02-07-12 09:44 PM
    iPhone users love to say BB won't be around...they're clueless like deer and headlights
    ......and not very bright either, since they have the dummy button to bring them home if they get lost navigating the OS...what would they do with a buttonless PB?
    02-07-12 09:53 PM
    I dunno. I'm waiting around to find out either. I was asked last nite and this morning why I'm still buying Blackberrys because they are going out of busines and because the new BBs are right around the corner. Thats 2 questions from 2 different in less than 24 hrs.
    I dont think that that way. I like whats out RIGHT now. I bought it. I'm thinking hard about buying a 9900 JUST because. Is it as if something new comes out I cant buy it? Where in the rules does it say I cant have more than 1 BB? I'm already in trouble then.
    I have 6 mustangs stretched between 69'-2010'. I liked different things between all 6. Thought about getting a 2012 because of the modular 5.0. Yes I can only drive 1 at a time, but I drive my F250 98.5% of the time anyway.
    It would really suck over looking the great devices we have now to only not like what comes out next time. What do you do then? wait? waiting is not for me. unless I'm fishing or hunting.

Let me play Devil's Advocate.

You aren't the average smartphone user - you sound like you are fairly well off, and most people don't want to buy multiple versions of a phone even if they "can" when the alternatives look promising and as if they have some semblance of longevity to them.

If I go with an Android, I can attempt to root it and update it on my own for a reasonable length of time (provided that I root it correctly) or I can rely on updates from the manufacturer/carrier to come through and keep it to speed for awhile. I could pick up a Motorola Droid 1 and put it up to speed relatively quickly; I can't pull a rabbit out of my with, say, the Storm 2.

If I go with an iPhone I get updates from Apple which, as a company, used to be NOTORIOUS for never updating anything or updating things correctly, in addition to being miles behind the competition.

If I go with an old Blackberry, which is similar to the iPhone, it's similar to buying an Apple product in the 1990s. You don't know when an update is coming, and you have no recourse to update it yourself - it falls to Research and Motion to keep the phone functional.

The Blackberry Playbook is the best thing RIM has to stay in the game and once it's got 2.0 it's not over - Apple and Google want to throw RIM under the bus and it's going to fall on RIM to get a 3.0, a 4.0, a 5.0 to show that it is getting real about surpassing the competition. The Playbook to me is the most impressive tablet out there, but if it's neglected then RIM really does have a beaten path to walk ahead.
    LMG1963 likes this.
    02-07-12 09:58 PM
    Only problem with this thread is that you buy Ford lol, nah I kid, buy whatever you want......except for phones only buy Blackberry
    02-07-12 10:32 PM
    Let me play Devil's Advocate.

You aren't the average smartphone user - you sound like you are fairly well off, and most people don't want to buy multiple versions of a phone even if they "can" when the alternatives look promising and as if they have some semblance of longevity to them.

If I go with an Android, I can attempt to root it and update it on my own for a reasonable length of time (provided that I root it correctly) or I can rely on updates from the manufacturer/carrier to come through and keep it to speed for awhile. I could pick up a Motorola Droid 1 and put it up to speed relatively quickly; I can't pull a rabbit out of my with, say, the Storm 2.

If I go with an iPhone I get updates from Apple which, as a company, used to be NOTORIOUS for never updating anything or updating things correctly, in addition to being miles behind the competition.

If I go with an old Blackberry, which is similar to the iPhone, it's similar to buying an Apple product in the 1990s. You don't know when an update is coming, and you have no recourse to update it yourself - it falls to Research and Motion to keep the phone functional.

The Blackberry Playbook is the best thing RIM has to stay in the game and once it's got 2.0 it's not over - Apple and Google want to throw RIM under the bus and it's going to fall on RIM to get a 3.0, a 4.0, a 5.0 to show that it is getting real about surpassing the competition. The Playbook to me is the most impressive tablet out there, but if it's neglected then RIM really does have a beaten path to walk ahead.
    You realize your talking hind sight. I'm talking about not buying now what you like waiting for the unknown coming out at a later time.
    I reckon if waiting suits you.....
    BB10FTW lol, I hear ya. Best comment I've read in a couple weeks. It shows you clearly understand what I'm talking about.
    02-07-12 11:58 PM
    I'd say buying what you want now, rather than waiting for something later is more typical of folks with enough disposable income to pay full retail.

Many people cannot afford to pay full retail, so they wait for something they really want, rather than get stuck in the middle of a 2 or 3-year contract with a device they no longer are enamored by that has little resale value once the latest and greatest new device is available.

I passed on OS7 devices, since I did not want to be stuck with one for 2 years. If I were able to pay full retail for something else new once it's out, I would have gotten an OS7 device.
    02-08-12 12:13 AM
    I agree with you, I have a PlayBook, torch, iphone, ipad, a mac, a dell, a windows phone, a windows mobile phone, a nokia symbian phone, and a webos phone. I like playing with different handsets and getting a feel for the different products. If you want to try out a bold and can afford it, go for it!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-12 12:29 AM
    I'd say buying what you want now, rather than waiting for something later is more typical of folks with enough disposable income to pay full retail.

Many people cannot afford to pay full retail, so they wait for something they really want, rather than get stuck in the middle of a 2 or 3-year contract with a device they no longer are enamored by that has little resale value once the latest and greatest new device is available.

I passed on OS7 devices, since I did not want to be stuck with one for 2 years. If I were able to pay full retail for something else new once it's out, I would have gotten an OS7 device.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but i thought most carriers let you renew/extend your contract in the middle of your current one, and then get a new device at the contract price.
    02-08-12 01:26 AM

I understand what your saying. I dont see it that way. Its not like the new devices is going to come out in 10 months then be wiped from the earth 15 months from now.
    So if your alittle worried about the devices now then makes you think you wont be even more worried on the next ones? If your unsure or dont like whats out now then this idea doesnt apply.
    The fact that you bought a device at contract price doesnt leave you stuck with it. lets say you bought a 9900. you used it up until the new devices came out and want one of those. If you cant buy it straight out. Sell the 9900. if you can afford the contract price then you should beable to sell the 9900 to make up the difference. Alot of people buy used phones just to stay out of a contract and they understand they are going to pay more than contract price. To me it comes down to what you want.
    My only hang up on buying a 9900 is I'm afraid either it or my 9860 will just sit in a drawer. I dont want that. I'm still debating though lol
    02-08-12 09:39 AM
    I understand what your saying. I dont see it that way. Its not like the new devices is going to come out in 10 months then be wiped from the earth 15 months from now.
    So if your alittle worried about the devices now then makes you think you wont be even more worried on the next ones? If your unsure or dont like whats out now then this idea doesnt apply.
    The fact that you bought a device at contract price doesnt leave you stuck with it. lets say you bought a 9900. you used it up until the new devices came out and want one of those. If you cant buy it straight out. Sell the 9900. if you can afford the contract price then you should beable to sell the 9900 to make up the difference. Alot of people buy used phones just to stay out of a contract and they understand they are going to pay more than contract price. To me it comes down to what you want.
    My only hang up on buying a 9900 is I'm afraid either it or my 9860 will just sit in a drawer. I dont want that. I'm still debating though lol
    My main reason for not wanting a 9900 is that I do not feel that the availability of apps is sufficient. I would get a faster processor, more memory, and better browser than on the 9700; however, I still would not have many apps that are currently only available for iOS/Android.

I also feel that a used 9900 would not have much resale value once the BB10 devices are released, because the 9900 will be very antiquated compared to the BB10 devices (which will run those Android apps).

With the issues of the 9900s bricking, I am reluctant to buy a used device.
    02-08-12 09:50 AM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but i thought most carriers let you renew/extend your contract in the middle of your current one, and then get a new device at the contract price.
    Verizon won't. I tried when I bought my iPhone. I had to buy it off contract price.
    02-08-12 09:54 AM
    My main reason for not wanting a 9900 is that I do not feel that the availability of apps is sufficient. I would get a faster processor, more memory, and better browser than on the 9700; however, I still would not have many apps that are currently only available for iOS/Android.

I also feel that a used 9900 would not have much resale value once the BB10 devices are released, because the 9900 will be very antiquated compared to the BB10 devices (which will run those Android apps).

This is a different prospective. If you don't want the devices now that makes sense. What doesn't make sense to me is passing over what you like for something that might come out.
    Oh yea the 9900 will still have value. I still sell quite a few 8520s. 9700 and 9780 is the best sellers. I have a market for 9800s too. I might have to hold on to a 9800 for a week to sell it.
    The new phone aren't going to change that. Ip 3gs still sell. Might have to sit on em for a couple weeks but they sell.
    02-08-12 11:14 AM

They already don't have a good resale value. The bolds are a tough sell. I know I have tried.
    02-08-12 06:12 PM
    I pulled the trigger on my 9930 purchase because I missed out on purchasing the 9000 "back in the day." If the BB10 devices come out, I'll just wait until I'm eligible to upgrade. No biggie. Still love this device. And someone said the lack of apps kept them from the 9930. I don't feel like I'm missing out on "must have" apps. Weather Channel, Wells Fargo, and Facebook suit me just fine. But then again, I don't use my BB for work or anything like that.
    02-08-12 06:33 PM
    They already don't have a good resale value. The bolds are a tough sell. I know I have tried.
    I guess it depends on what you call good. Around here 9900s are going for $400-$450. They don't sit long either. Everybody I've called sold em within a couple hrs of posting them. How much you asking for your 9900?
    02-08-12 06:42 PM
    I guess it depends on what you call good. Around here 9900s are going for $400-$450. They don't sit long either. Everybody I've called sold em within a couple hrs of posting them. How much you asking for your 9900?
    I tried at $420. the best offer I got was $300. I would love to get at least $400.
    02-08-12 06:55 PM
    I tried at $420. the best offer I got was $300. I would love to get at least $400.
    Pm me some pictures.
    02-08-12 07:29 PM
    I pulled the trigger on my 9930 purchase because I missed out on purchasing the 9000 "back in the day." If the BB10 devices come out, I'll just wait until I'm eligible to upgrade. No biggie. Still love this device. And someone said the lack of apps kept them from the 9930. I don't feel like I'm missing out on "must have" apps. Weather Channel, Wells Fargo, and Facebook suit me just fine. But then again, I don't use my BB for work or anything like that.
    There's a few apps that I know of that don't work real well on os7. Other than that everything else works fine.
    I like os7 myself. I tell ya what there's not going to be anybody with another device out there at this time going to be more productive than I am with this phone. I'll give anybody a run for thei money. The seemless shift between apps and UI makes these os7 devices crisp and productive.
    02-08-12 07:40 PM
    ......and not very bright either, since they have the dummy button to bring them home if they get lost navigating the OS...what would they do with a buttonless PB?
    The same thing a Playbook owner does, nothing, cause there is nothing to do on a Playbook compared to an iPad.

And just when you're doing you worst Jimmy Cagney impression "Hey ma, I'm on top of the world, RIM just gave me 2.0", here comes Apple with iPad 3. All eyes will then turn to Apple once again and you will sit there with a year old no button device just getting on a semblance of parity with iPad 2.

And while you sit there in your warm afterglow of a buttonless Playbook, the world of tablets will have advance by one year.

Sound about right?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-08-12 at 08:25 PM.
    02-08-12 08:02 PM
    The same thing a Playbook owner does, nothing, cause there is nothing to do on a Playbook compared to an iPad.

And just when you're doing you worst Jimmy Cagney impression "Hey ma, I'm on top of the world, RIM just gave me 2.0", here comes Apple with iPad 3. All eyes will then turn to Apple once again and you will sit there with a year old no button device just getting on a semblance of parity with iPad 2.

And while you sit there in your warm afterglow of a buttonless Playbook, the world of tablets will have advance by one year.

Sound about right?
    That was very well thought out. So in all that thinking did it ever accur to you that just maybe I don't like ipads? I moght actually like playbooks.
    Do it don't matter if apple releases ipad 13 I don't want 1. That's a heck of a thing. I'd rather have something that does "nothing" than something that does it "all"..
    02-08-12 08:57 PM
    That was very well thought out.
    It would be really nice to same the same for your post, but sadly it can't.

So in all that thinking did it ever accur to you that just maybe I don't like ipads? I moght actually like playbooks.
    Do it don't matter if apple releases ipad 13 I don't want 1. ..
    You were not quoted, therefore to come back with what you prefer is irrelevant.

That's a heck of a thing. I'd rather have something that does "nothing" than something that does it "all"
    Makes perfect sense (for you). The rest of the tablet buying world, not so much. It seems they'd rather spend money and have a device with a button that takes them home than a buttonless device that takes them nowhere. Of course your mileage may vary. Do you drive a Hummer?
    Last edited by sinsin07; 02-09-12 at 04:21 AM.
    02-09-12 03:58 AM
    The future doesn't hold anything as nobody can predict it, or view it, or see into it.

Just expect what happens, keep on guessing. Things aren't always as people assume or guess. Either you're/they're wrong, or you're/they're right. Edit: No, RIM/blackberry is not going out of business, it won't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 02-09-12 at 04:41 AM.
    02-09-12 04:37 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD