I have not found a thread that answers this exact question.

I know what the "d" means above an sms message that I send. It means the message was delivered. But if the recipient's phone is turned OFF, does that D still show up? Or is that only when the phone is turned on?

I ask because I sent some messages to someone on my network, in response to a few desperate texts. He just lost his job, is considering suicide (don't worry, I've already alerted the proper people)... Just wanted to assess whether the "D" was an indicator of whether his phone is on or off.
    02-13-10 02:55 PM
    No, it means it has been delivered to the delivering network. SMS is not able to properly indicated delivered or read statuses.
    02-13-10 03:00 PM
    No, D will only show once it actually hits the receiver's phone. BTW, how are you running an 8830 on T-Mobile? Might want to change that profile please.
    02-13-10 03:00 PM
    No, D will only show once it actually hits the receiver's phone. BTW, how are you running an 8830 on T-Mobile? Might want to change that profile please.
    Switched to Verizon recently, never changed profile.

Thanks for the responses.
    02-13-10 03:01 PM
    No, it means it has been delivered to the delivering network. SMS is not able to properly indicated delivered or read statuses.
    Negative, on the same carrier (lets say Verizon, which is most likely the case with the OP), if the receiver's phone is off or doesn't receive the txt for any reason, the "d" will not show.
    02-13-10 03:02 PM
    Negative, on the same carrier (lets say Verizon, which is most likely the case with the OP), if the receiver's phone is off or doesn't receive the txt for any reason, the "d" will not show.

Yes, we are both on Verizon.

Thanks, that is tremendously helpful.
    02-13-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD