This morning I noticed in the device versions there was an acknowldgment of the Android open source project. So my question is what on the blackberry is open source and have ties to Android?
    This isn't making any sense to me at all. The second my blackberry becomes open sourced I'm putting it in the drawer.
    02-22-12 06:54 AM
    I believe it may be fonts, but I can't remember where I read that.
    02-22-12 07:43 AM
    I wonder what font it is.
    02-22-12 06:44 PM
    This morning I noticed in the device versions there was an acknowldgment of the Android open source project. So my question is what on the blackberry is open source and have ties to Android?
    This isn't making any sense to me at all. The second my blackberry becomes open sourced I'm putting it in the drawer.
    Well I'm not sure what you are implying as far as a RIM/Google open source partnership is concerned? Or possibly that isn't what you are implying.

RIM is committed to supporting 100% Full open source development platform....Android is open source, so that is why Android Devs have their own SDK for the Android run time. RIM also encourages Devs to bring other open source development code to the platform. Whatever that may be.

Anything and everything open source as far as development is concerned. RIM is going to support this.
    Not sure if this helps
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-22-12 at 07:13 PM.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    02-22-12 07:10 PM
    its due do to some font copyrights i think.
    02-22-12 07:16 PM
    Well I'm not sure what you are implying as far as a RIM/Google open source partnership is concerned? Or possibly that isn't what you are implying.

RIM is committed to supporting 100% Full open source development platform....Android is open source, so that is why Android Devs have their own SDK for the Android run time. RIM also encourages Devs to bring other open source development code to the platform. Whatever that may be.

Anything and everything open source as far as development is concerned. RIM is going to support this.
    Not sure if this helps
    Huh? I'm don't understand what you mean. I know android is open source. That's why I won't have anything that I have personal info on running android.
    Supporting open source doesn't mean you use it.
    I understand the font copy write.
    02-22-12 08:30 PM
    Huh? I'm don't understand what you mean. I know android is open source. That's why I won't have anything that I have personal info on running android.
    I wasn't sure what you were implying.
    02-22-12 08:35 PM
    I wasn't sure what you were implying.
    Ah. I wasn't implying anything. Just wondering what. The connection was.
    02-22-12 08:48 PM
    Fyi: open source =/= security woes

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    02-23-12 09:27 AM
    Fyi: open source =/= security woes

I dong know what the = / = means. = / is confusion. So If your saying I'm confused about open source having security woes well then FYI. An open source OS gives software complete access to all the hardware. I've seen code written for android devices that would send contact list, browser history, and forward emails to a defined email address. A buddy of mine wrote the code. I tested it fo him on some devices I have. Couple this up with the fact that the android os makes up the largest section of smartphones it draws coders more than the lesser oses. I.E, its a misconception that li ux and osx is safer oses than windows to virus attacks. Its just the simple fact that windows makes up by a large margin a bigger slice and hence attracts the coders. A quick search will show a person that all oses has fell to some sort of virus in its time.
    And you'll find the most successive viruses to the os in the search.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 02-23-12 at 10:42 AM.
    02-23-12 10:15 AM
    I dong know what the = / = means. = / is confusion. So If your saying I'm confused about open source having security woes well then FYI. An open source OS gives software complete access to all the hardware. I've seen code written for android devices that would send contact list, browser history, and forward emails to a defined email address. A buddy of mine wrote the code. I tested it fo him on some devices I have. Couple this up with the fact that the android os makes up the largest section of smartphones it draws coders more than the lesser oses. I.E, its a misconception that li ux and osx is safer oses than windows to virus attacks. Its just the simple fact that windows makes up by a large margin a bigger slice and hence attracts the coders. A quick search will show a person that all oses has fell to some sort of virus in its time.
    He was using =/= in place of ≠, which symbolizes "not equal to" or "does not equal".

But yes, you are a bit confused on the open source concept. Open Source has no bearing on security. The example you provide above is not an Open Source issue... the issue is you as a user knowingly installed software that required permissions to access the data you wish to remain secure.

And the concept that Windows suffers more from virii and malware because it's targeted more because it's more prolific is utter bull. It's been proven time and time again. It's not a simple fact, it's only what Microsoft wants you to believe.
    02-23-12 11:07 AM
    This discussion is a little off topic, but your obviously highly misinformed. For starters, =/= means "does not equal". Now what you need to realize is that even if a operating system is open source, that does not make your information vulnerable lol. Specifically speaking, android requires USER authurization for specific permissions (I.e. contacts, call history, SMS, ect.) of applications before it is installed. What that means is if you find the permission request to be irrelevant to the operation of the application, then YOU shouldn't install it. So what that comes down to is end user error. Malicious software does not creep onto your device out nowhere because it is open source. The end user would have to make those errors, so it doesn't matter whether or not your friend can code an app to have access to personal info. That app can't be installed without user permission regardless.

02-23-12 11:16 AM
    Don't think "open sourced" = bad.

Isn't RIM's new browser based on an Open Source project?
    02-23-12 11:56 AM
    This discussion is a little off topic, but your obviously highly misinformed. For starters, =/= means "does not equal". Now what you need to realize is that even if a operating system is open source, that does not make your information vulnerable lol. Specifically speaking, android requires USER authurization for specific permissions (I.e. contacts, call history, SMS, ect.) of applications before it is installed. What that means is if you find the permission request to be irrelevant to the operation of the application, then YOU shouldn't install it. So what that comes down to is end user error. Malicious software does not creep onto your device out nowhere because it is open source. The end user would have to make those errors, so it doesn't matter whether or not your friend can code an app to have access to personal info. That app can't be installed without user permission regardless.

I'm sorry I'm not misinformed. I'm a tester. I have some good friends that writes a lot of code and I test for em. Plus I'm a think tank. I come.up with idea and I research for em. I've seen 1 hand what can be done.
    I'm not trying to change your mind. Here is an example. You can decompile a favorite app and add script or just bind an .exe to the app and upload it. Change the name to favorite app v2.3. People download stuff that's trusted and don't know any difference.
    02-23-12 03:57 PM
    Will you stay away from the browser on Playbook and BB10 because it's WebKit?
    02-23-12 04:08 PM
    Will you stay away from the browser on Playbook and BB10 because it's WebKit?
    Let me see. os6 and os7's browser is run on webkit.
    I don't think open source is bad at all. I do however think that an opensource os on a smartphone with sensitive data is a bad idea. I'm not trying to change any bodies mind or sway them away from anything. This is just the way I think and at the end of the day that's all that matters to me.
    As a app dev. You aught to know there is a difference in running open source software than running an open source os. 2 totally different things.
    02-23-12 04:32 PM
    As a app dev. You aught to know there is a difference in running open source software than running an open source os. 2 totally different things.
    From a security perspective, I don't think an open source OS is inherently less secure than a closed OS.

Just like logging into your bank with WebKit isn't inherently less secure than logging into your bank with IE.

Besides, most "closed" OSes have open source all through them, and are built with open source tools, using all the common open source libraries that we all use, etc.

On PB/BB10, they kernel itself was recently closed. But Qt is still open. As are a bunch of libraries they use. That's fairly common.
    02-23-12 04:45 PM
    From a security perspective, I don't think an open source OS is inherently less secure than a closed OS.

Just like logging into your bank with WebKit isn't inherently less secure than logging into your bank with IE.

Besides, most "closed" OSes have open source all through them, and are built with open source tools, using all the common open source libraries that we all use, etc.

On PB/BB10, they kernel itself was recently closed. But Qt is still open. As are a bunch of libraries they use. That's fairly common.
    An open source os means every app has unrestricted access to the system. Not so o a closed os. Open source software means that any body can change copy trade give away the source. Do with it what you want. That has nothing to do with the os. I use a lot of open source software. And yes an open source app can compremise a system.
    02-23-12 04:59 PM
    An open source os means every app has unrestricted access to the system. Not so o a closed os.
    What?! If I run an app on Ubuntu or Android, it has the permissions that are given to it by the runtime and the user. It's no different than on a proprietary OS.

You think every linux process runs as root?

Open source software means that any body can change copy trade give away the source.
    Depends on the open license.

Do with it what you want.
    Have you read an open source license? Almost all have restrictions of one form or another.

That has nothing to do with the os. I use a lot of open source software. And yes an open source app can compremise a system.
    So can a closed source app. You've never heard of a closed source virus on a closed source operating system?
    02-23-12 05:02 PM
    An open source os means every app has unrestricted access to the system.
    This statement alone demonstrates that you have no clue what open source is or means. Seriously dude... you're way off here. You couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Open source software means that any body can change copy trade give away the source.
    Wrong wrong wrong. Really dude. No disrespect intended... but dayum... wrong...
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-23-12 at 05:34 PM.
    02-23-12 05:16 PM
    I'm sorry I'm not misinformed. I'm a tester. I have some good friends that writes a lot of code and I test for em. Plus I'm a think tank. I come.up with idea and I research for em. I've seen 1 hand what can be done.
    I'm not trying to change your mind. Here is an example. You can decompile a favorite app and add script or just bind an .exe to the app and upload it. Change the name to favorite app v2.3. People download stuff that's trusted and don't know any difference.
    So from what im gathering from this and all your previous post is that you are afraid of an 'open source' because
    you think you will install malicious software because technically its possible (lol). K, Got it. But again, whats so relevant about you being a "tester"? Really we are all testing these things.

An open source os means every app has unrestricted access to the system. Not so o a closed os. Open source software means that any body can change copy trade give away the source. Do with it what you want. That has nothing to do with the os. I use a lot of open source software. And yes an open source app can compremise a system.
    Yeah, you don't know what your talking about...

02-23-12 06:15 PM
    This statement alone demonstrates that you have no clue what open source is or means. Seriously dude... you're way off here.

Wrong wrong wrong. Really dude. No disrespect intended... but dayum... wrong...
    Then correct me. Don't just say wrong.
    I've read lots of open source licenses. If I was at the house I woul post some up. I don't recall one ever say you can change, copy, distrupt, give away this software. Although I have read them to say you can copy, distrupt, upload, or give away if certain files which is usually the credits and read me files.
    When I said you can do whatever to an open source app. That's not wrong. Granted I didn't mean you "can" 100% of the open source app. Bu that its possible. Which anyway I don't think I havd seen an app that you couldn't do something with. You might have to have asked for premission or something but it was still possible. And tats a small % of the apps.
    02-23-12 06:19 PM
    So from what im gathering from this and all your previous post is that you are afraid of an 'open source' because
    you think you will install malicious software because technically its possible (lol). K, Got it. But again, whats so relevant about you being a "tester"? Really we are all testing these things.

Yeah, you don't know what your talking about...

Yea I know what I'm talking about. No I'm not scared I'm going to download malious software. I for myself don't trust an open source os. Again I'm not trying to get you feel the same way. This is for me and me alone.
    About m being a tester. What I mean I I run viruses on my android, windows xp, vista, win 7, linux boxes. I do things to my devices that wasn't their intent so to speak. So I'm seeing what the code can and does.
    02-23-12 06:33 PM
    In a nutshell... All Open Source is, is a distribution model. It bears no influence on the quality or security of the software. You can develop the most bullet proof operating system the world has ever seen, and still distribute it under an open source license if you so choose. Even BBOS could be distributed as open source should RIM decide to do so. They haven't, but that's a choice on their part. There's nothing in the development that would prevent it.

The only thing Open Source means, is that anybody that acquires the product is also provided the source code in addition to the compiled/binary/executable/end-user product. That's all Open Source means. Depending on the open source license, there can also be provisions (which is usually the case) to allow modification and distribution of any products derived from the original product, providing you pass credit/recognition and sometimes revenue to the original developer. Depends on the license.

Take the Android OS as an example... The source code is freely available to anybody, even without having to actually purchase the product (since the license doesn't require it). You can modify it to your heart's content, do whatever you wish with it, and have fun with it. But doing that on your particular copy does not affect the product on the millions of other Android devices out there. You can write apps all day long to run on Android, that can do anything you wish it to do, but it's not going to effect my device because I haven't given permission for anything you've written to operate on my device. Sure, you can make changes to the OS to make it unsecure... but that only affects your particular copy.

Open Source is a testament to the distribution method. Not the quality of the development.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 02-23-12 at 07:32 PM.
    02-23-12 07:29 PM
    In a nutshell... All Open Source is, is a distribution model. It bears no influence on the quality or security of the software. You can develop the most bullet proof operating system the world has ever seen, and still distribute it under an open source license if you so choose. Even BBOS could be distributed as open source should RIM decide to do so. They haven't, but that's a choice on their part. There's nothing in the development that would prevent it.

The only thing Open Source means, is that anybody that acquires the product is also provided the source code in addition to the compiled/binary/executable/end-user product. That's all Open Source means. Depending on the open source license, there can also be provisions (which is usually the case) to allow modification and distribution of any products derived from the original product, providing you pass credit/recognition and sometimes revenue to the original developer. Depends on the license.

Take the Android OS as an example... The source code is freely available to anybody, even without having to actually purchase the product (since the license doesn't require it). You can modify it to your heart's content, do whatever you wish with it, and have fun with it. But doing that on your particular copy does not affect the product on the millions of other Android devices out there. You can write apps all day long to run on Android, that can do anything you wish it to do, but it's not going to effect my device because I haven't given permission for anything you've written to operate on my device. Sure, you can make changes to the OS to make it unsecure... but that only affects your particular copy.

Open Source is a testament to the distribution method. Not the quality of the development.
    Open source is "open" to the public. Used to be termed "free". Open source code is set up generally so any body can add to it, or port it to other platforms.
    The android os allows apps to access the whole system and hardware.
    It allows the dev. To build software to take advantage of the devices hardware.
    I made my choice about what I would walk around with my information on. Android is not it. Rim has fell victum to a wholeb lot less security treats than android that I've found.
    No you don't run the app from root. You don't have to. You build the app from the ground up to use a process allowed at root. I really don't know how to express that. The zygote is gonna leave the app itself at app user premissons..
    Fair enough. I don't know what open source is. But I made my choice and I don't need ya to understand it. If you don't think android is a security risk then that's all that needs to think that in your case.
    02-23-12 09:44 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD