Quality? Overusage? Better or worse models? What do you think and why? I still see older models in use and they seem sturdier? Will the newer models survive?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 11:10 PM
    I think if you take care of your phone it will hold up
    01-02-10 11:36 PM
    Depends. My 8330 curve is a very solid phone build wise. Storm 1 was shabby but my Storm 2 is built much better but I have seen countless posts on here with bad builds of the Storm 2. It seems like it's a crap shoot nowadays with quality and that's sad
    01-02-10 11:55 PM
    My 7230 looks brand new after years, that says a lot. A newer one couldn't go through the same lifecycle and come out the same.

01-03-10 12:40 AM
    My brother still uses the curve 8330. Its amazing how it still can do same things the bold 9700 can do but takes a lot more time to do it. (Processor, memory, 3g etc etc) He had to replace the trackball but its still gets the job done.

01-03-10 04:35 AM
    Back when the 7000 series was out BB were only releasing a couple models per year. Now theyu are releasing bi-monthly it seems....my 8900 is solid though...I work construction and kill this thing....holdin up better than the older devices

01-03-10 04:49 AM
    Older models are still in use. So there's your answer. My Real BOLD lasted 6 months, my second Real BOLD is on its 2nd month...the newer phones just can't take the abuse. I remember my first Nextel brick..could beat the snot out of it. I remember in the mid 90's seeing a woman with a Blackberry Nextel throw the phone at some guys head and he almost went down, his legs wobbled. I doubt a Tour could make his legs wobble lol.

01-03-10 06:04 AM
    I didn't find the Curve 8900 solid, which is why I bought a Bold instead.
    But out of the 4 Blackberry's I've used, my 8320 was the most reliable IMO.

01-03-10 06:39 AM
    My 8320 was more reliable than my 8900 was. I think the storm 2 is a better build quilty than my 8900 was.

01-03-10 06:45 AM
    yep i agree man
    01-03-10 08:10 AM
    I agree with that statement as well 99% of time. Only problem is sometimes my luck falls in the 1% range(stuff out of my control ,lemon phone , etc) . Oh well hopefully it will last for a while its my first BB so no other BB phone to compair with but 7 months owned and still going strong LoL
    Last edited by DavidNC; 01-03-10 at 08:18 AM.
    01-03-10 08:15 AM
    I think they will hold up... But you need a case. Life expectancy 2 yrs.

The older blackberries; 8700 and earlier. Particularly the 7XXX series were tanks. No cases required. If you scratched it... Just sand it out. No chrome bezel and flashy junk. The body was solid.

RIM quality isn't the same these days, unfortunately.

01-03-10 08:33 PM
    The 8707G is so solid it'll have the life expectency of Moses.

01-03-10 09:20 PM
    O think that you have to be cognizant of how you preserve your phone. If you show moderate concern for your device, I think that the average BlackBerry will last at least a couple of years aside from units that have defects. My 8330 was great. It held up well and when I finally replaced it and gave it to my wife, it was flawless. My first Bold was amazing. I never had any problems with the build quality. My current Bold hasn't come in the mail yet, so I will keep you posted. I will say this, my Iphone didn't hold up well at all. I had to replace it three times in three months. I was very disappointed in that. It was such a stellar device, but can be easily worn out. I will stick to the BlackBerry for now. I think that their build quality is top notch compared to other devices. I think that another relevant question is do they make smartphone technology that lasts two years? I think not. By the time a rumored device is released, the features and OS is already outdated in my opinion.

01-03-10 09:55 PM
    My case-less and skin-less 8703 has taken falls off my desk, flew out of my hand and skidded down the street and dropped down a flight of stairs, among other things. Other than a few knicks and dings, it still works. While my Tour looks nicer, I have a feeling it would've died a long time ago had it been subjected to what the 8703 has been through.
    01-03-10 09:59 PM
    just take care of your phone, and it should last just as well
    01-03-10 10:07 PM
    Some people r harder on phones than others but the lifespan depends on the user.
    01-03-10 10:39 PM
    I am always careful with my phones. I have a case or I use the rubber skin. I also have the invisble shield. I have had it since Sept and it looks brand new. My Tour is holding up just fine.
    01-03-10 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD