Ok question. If you buy one of these returned phones for 1/2 price does it count as an upgrade, extend your contract & prevent you from keeping your current upgrade date? Also even if it was returned for "issues" its very likely been completely wiped & restored. Plus you still get a 1 year warranty so if by random chance it isn't fixed you're still covered for another.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 09:48 PM
    Ok question. If you buy one of these returned phones for 1/2 price does it count as an upgrade, extend your contract & prevent you from keeping your current upgrade date? Also even if it was returned for "issues" its very likely been completely wiped & restored. Plus you still get a 1 year warranty so if by random chance it isn't fixed you're still covered for another.

it does not do anything to your contract. it does not extend or count as an upgrade.

07-10-10 09:54 PM
    1) Getting a new phone VS the same phone for half the price:
    Certainly get a used one. In your case you get even waranty. That is awesome. Remember, either new or used both phones could have issues, and your waranty pretty much fixes that. You would get a replacement if you got issues with either...

2) Buying now VS waiting for a new device
    There are always new/better devices, so you will never be entirely satisfied. I would get one when my contract is up, no matter of what new devices might be released. When they are released they are insanely expensive anyway and most people wait again for the price to drop. When it drops, new devices are out OR annoinced, so you are intrigued to wait again - death spiral...

I would GET a phone I TESTED and LIKED, when I need it, not wait for anything.
    07-11-10 12:37 AM
    1) Getting a new phone VS the same phone for half the price:
    Certainly get a used one. In your case you get even waranty. That is awesome. Remember, either new or used both phones could have issues, and your waranty pretty much fixes that. You would get a replacement if you got issues with either...

2) Buying now VS waiting for a new device
    There are always new/better devices, so you will never be entirely satisfied. I would get one when my contract is up, no matter of what new devices might be released. When they are released they are insanely expensive anyway and most people wait again for the price to drop. When it drops, new devices are out OR annoinced, so you are intrigued to wait again - death spiral...

I would GET a phone I TESTED and LIKED, when I need it, not wait for anything.
    well my contract is not up until November 2011 so even if new devices are coming out I can't get them. I completely agree that the price for a new one is ridiculous but I feel better knowing my phone just came out of the box and most likely doesn't have any issues. I would much rather save the money but I am too nervous that the CPO will have issues and who wants to go through the hassle of getting a new one?

07-11-10 12:37 PM
    So after all the fussing I go to Verizon and was told that I actually do not qualify for a CPO phone. Every VZW representative tells me something different. Apparently my only option is to buy at full retail price. Also, while I was there, I checked out the Bold and I actually like the keypad on the Bold better than the Curve. The Bold is 510 and the Curve is 360. So I left with no new phone and now I do not know what to do....

07-11-10 03:17 PM
    sorry for all the questions, but I like to do my research before I make a decision.

my contract isn't up until 11/11 but i am sick of my phone and really want the curve. to buy it outright is 360. verizon told me that i can get a certified pre-owned one for 140. they told me this means that someone returned it before the 30 days were up and just didn't want it. it will have no scratches or defects, and works like a brand new one. they just can't call it brand new because someone used it for a few weeks. it will also have the 1 year warranty so if it breaks or something happens i can have it replaced. I really want it, but I do not know which route to go.

do you guys think it is a good idea to purchase a certified pre-owned curve or would you not recommend it?

I would say buy new but beware of this little known fact: Don't use your phone for more than 30 minutes.

If you do so you can not return it and get all your money back. And there is no point flashing the OS or anything else because the network is a lot smarter than you. haha
    07-11-10 04:23 PM
    I would say buy new but beware of this little known fact: Don't use your phone for more than 30 minutes.

If you do so you can not return it and get all your money back. And there is no point flashing the OS or anything else because the network is a lot smarter than you. haha
    huh? your post confused me lol

07-11-10 04:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure this is a duplicate post.. And why bother? Just give up and I'll send you an old Nokia 5165.. You can play the classic snake game... In less than 8 bit graphics..

07-11-10 04:42 PM
    I'm pretty sure this is a duplicate post.. And why bother? Just give up and I'll send you an old Nokia 5165.. You can play the classic snake game... In less than 8 bit graphics..

I am aware that I created a duplicate post. I did so under the assumption that different users go in different parts of the forum. I am sorry for that but I like to get the opinions of other BB owners before I make an investment in one. It was unnecessary for you to be rude.

07-11-10 04:53 PM
    huh? your post confused me lol

My fault. I'll simplify.

I don't know what a lot of the companies may do in the USA, but I am pretty sure it is standard.

What is often not mentioned by the companies that after you have purchased the phone and would like to return the phone, you cannot have used that phone for more than 30 minutes.

That's how I got stuck with my last phone. It was never mentioned to me until I tried to return it within the month and was over the 30 minutes.

My point was that you can't just reset it as they have a database that traces it back to your phone.
    07-11-10 05:14 PM
    My fault. I'll simplify.

I don't know what a lot of the companies may do in the USA, but I am pretty sure it is standard.

What is often not mentioned by the companies that after you have purchased the phone and would like to return the phone, you cannot have used that phone for more than 30 minutes.

That's how I got stuck with my last phone. It was never mentioned to me until I tried to return it within the month and was over the 30 minutes.

My point was that you can't just reset it as they have a database that traces it back to your phone.
    ohh okay. thank you for clarifying

07-11-10 05:28 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD