So I am definitely looking forward to what we will see with BB10. My playbook is awesome as it is and I'd be completely satisfied with it right now if I knew there wasn't more to come. To me it seems like RIM has barely scratched the surface what what they are going to bring. I watch TAT UI videos, look at all the acquisitions RIM has made, the fact that they just released the native sdk at BBJam to all developpers, the beginning of their BBJam tour and the power of QNX and I know they are just getting started. They also seem to be having much more ingenious ideas than any of the other companies right now. To me theres nothing to get excited about with the other companies.

Android. I though ICS was supposed to be a big deal but I've read its only on 2% of devices and I really don't know why its any special. The only thing I see for android is phones with the best specs but that becomes a pointless battle if its not bringing any extra functionality. Is there any big upgrade I don't know about?

Apple. iPhone 5. After seeing the 4S and how minor of an upgrade it was after such a long period of time I would hope apple has something to bring with their new phone but all the rumours just don't seem exciting as they were before. Apple fans will say 'just wait for the iPhone 5, its going to be great!' but they never have anything to back that up.

Windows phone. I'm actually somewhat looking forward to this since I've never tried a windows 7 phone, but I'm also wondering whats taking so long. It seems like its been forever and I've heard about things like mango and Microsft paying developers but the only thing that seems interesting to me is the combined metro and desktop UI but I think thats already availble in beta for desktops/laptops.

I definitely have a strong bias towards looking forward to what RIM has to offer but I base than on looking at what all the companies have to offer. Any thoughts on what people think are some things to look forward to with any of these companies? Maybe more on the other companies since I'm already convinced on RIM.
    05-26-12 10:11 PM
    ICS is a huge upgrade imo, as far as the next iphone I can't wait...I'm also waiting on BB10...A lot of the top talent in the world works for google and apple...I'm expecting big things from them...
    05-26-12 10:42 PM
    It's hard to say. Obviously, out of all the platforms, BB10 is what I'm most interested in and looking forward to. I hear some rumors that Android 5.0 Jellybean will be released around autumn this year. I thought ICS brought some good functionality to Android and made it more of a complete OS (rather than the beta feel Android has). There are so many rumors surrounding the next iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple does redesign the iPhone and add a larger screen, maybe remove the home button, etc. As for iOS 6, I wasn't blown away or even that impressed by iOS 5 and, to me, iOS updates look very incremental and minor (though I really don't know much to comment here). I am looking forward to WP8, though I'm more interested in Windows 8 for the desktop. It will be cool to see a unified tablet/phone/desktop experience, and I love the style Microsoft is pursuing with Windows 8.

In terms of excitement for me, it would be:
    1. BlackBerry 10 - pretty obvious
    2. Windows 8 - looks very good and something I'd use on the desktop
    3. Android 5.0 - always pushes the edge with what you can do with a phone. Android usually adds some cool features
    4. iOS 6 - honestly don't know what to expect, but I do expect universal praise, regardless.
    05-26-12 11:09 PM
    It's definitely going to be interesting. Maybe I don't frequent the other platfroms sites enough but it just seems RIM has so much more in the works. It could also be the other companies are just being really quiet, which hopefully is the case, and not just a lack of interesting advancements in the works behind closed doors.
    05-27-12 12:40 AM
    Who cares
    05-27-12 03:57 AM
    A lack of responses could be an answer in itself.
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    05-27-12 04:23 AM
    Provably new apps
    05-27-12 09:28 AM
    iOS and Android have already arrived. MS and RIM are playing the start-from-scratch game. Because of this, iOS and Android OS upgrades look more incremental on the surface since it's the UI changes that seem incremental. Windows Phone and BB10 are completely new experiences.

This fall will be very interesting. If MS and RIM succeed in releasing an OS that is inline with expectations, then both will be considered as having caught up to iOS and Android. This will even the playing field and, for a while, produce a four-OS option for consumers which is always a good thing.

The release of new OSs in the fall is the only thing that is remotely rooted in reality. The functionality that these new OSs will deliver are pretty much all speculation at this point.

The only given for consumers right now is that if you have upgrade eligibility for the fall and your current phone does the job for you, you should not succumb to temptation right now (as nice as those new HTC One series phones look). Hold off until the fall and the landscape should look very different.

Personally, I'm waiting for BB10, but fans of each of the four environments all have great things to look forward to. It's the competition and the unknown that are driving all four to really put their best foot forward this fall. We should all be awed by new technology and features that will be arriving in the next few months. Without the competition, I don't think that would be the case.
    05-27-12 01:51 PM
    Here is a feature list of ICS: Android - Introducing Ice Cream Sandwich

You're right about it being on a select few devices though. My particular device was to be upgraded in late April....then early May....and since then there hasn't been a new rumor date lol. I'm fine with GB for now though. It's what I'm used to, and that coupled with HTC Sense is a winning combination for me.

No one knows what Android's next OS iteration (most likely called Jelly Bean) will bring, but there are already speculations: Android 5.0 Jelly Bean news: Release date, features and more | CNET UK
    05-27-12 02:55 PM
    So I am definitely looking forward to what we will see with BB10. My playbook is awesome as it is and I'd be completely satisfied with it right now if I knew there wasn't more to come. To me it seems like RIM has barely scratched the surface what what they are going to bring. I watch TAT UI videos, look at all the acquisitions RIM has made, the fact that they just released the native sdk at BBJam to all developpers, the beginning of their BBJam tour and the power of QNX and I know they are just getting started. They also seem to be having much more ingenious ideas than any of the other companies right now. To me theres nothing to get excited about with the other companies.

Android. I though ICS was supposed to be a big deal but I've read its only on 2% of devices and I really don't know why its any special. The only thing I see for android is phones with the best specs but that becomes a pointless battle if its not bringing any extra functionality. Is there any big upgrade I don't know about?

Apple. iPhone 5. After seeing the 4S and how minor of an upgrade it was after such a long period of time I would hope apple has something to bring with their new phone but all the rumours just don't seem exciting as they were before. Apple fans will say 'just wait for the iPhone 5, its going to be great!' but they never have anything to back that up.

Windows phone. I'm actually somewhat looking forward to this since I've never tried a windows 7 phone, but I'm also wondering whats taking so long. It seems like its been forever and I've heard about things like mango and Microsft paying developers but the only thing that seems interesting to me is the combined metro and desktop UI but I think thats already availble in beta for desktops/laptops.

I definitely have a strong bias towards looking forward to what RIM has to offer but I base than on looking at what all the companies have to offer. Any thoughts on what people think are some things to look forward to with any of these companies? Maybe more on the other companies since I'm already convinced on RIM.
    Nothing to get excited about the other companies? This sounds like RIM 2007 when the iPhone came out. The irony is that RIM is the one that hasn't had anything exciting. I agree BB 10 looks promising, but to say that Apple and Google don't have anything interesting coming up (or that's already come up)... not very fair or realistic.
    05-28-12 02:04 PM
    Who cares
    Exactly my thoughts
    05-28-12 04:31 PM
    If the iPhone 5 doesn't have a new OS I won't be impressed.
    Android...eh I'm not really an android fan anymore. Phone wise that is, the tablets are cool.
    As for BB10...I wasn't excited at first because the first phones will be all touch & I was
    kinda getting tired of full touch (being that I have an iPhone) but lately I've been loving
    having a full touch lol.

Idk, we'll just have to wait & see what they all have in store for us.
    05-28-12 04:41 PM
    Of course nobody is making as big a leap as RIM. Nobody else is saddled with such a garbage OS to begin with.

Android devices are getting ICS, and we'll start hearing more about Jellybean soon.

Apple is incredibly secretive regarding its future plans, so no surprise we don't know much about that. Rumors point to, at least, a larger screen, though. I do find it funny when anyone says that Apple "has" to do any particular thing with its devices, as if there's any large segment of iPhone users waiting to jump ship, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.
    05-28-12 06:26 PM
    I think the next iphone will be something revolutionary just like the 4 was from the 3gs. I am sure then google will have something up its sleeve to try and combat ios6 and the new iphone. Those two seem to continue to battle head to head to try and push out a better product.
    05-28-12 07:41 PM
    What was revolutionary about the 4?
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-28-12 07:54 PM
    What was revolutionary about the 4?
    it was a rectangle and had a steal ring around it and used glass, and had a bunch of people who aren't apple make a bunch of things for it to be a useable tool
    lnichols likes this.
    05-28-12 07:57 PM
    it was a rectangle and had a steal ring around it and used glass, and had a bunch of people who aren't apple make a bunch of things for it to be a useable tool
    That's what I thought.
    05-28-12 07:59 PM
    You forgot to add that it was developed by a successful American company.
    05-28-12 08:10 PM
    Android devices are getting ICS, and we'll start hearing more about Jellybean soon.
    It depends on which devices. It sounds like more and more won't be getting it, not even a bunch of Google's own Motorola phones...

PHONE MAKER Motorola has irked its users by telling them that it will not be updating all of its smartphones to the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system.

In a blog post at the end of last week the firm explained to users why they are not getting the updates that they want. "Wondering about software updates for your device? You're not alone," it said.

"You may be wondering why all devices aren't being upgraded to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Here's the deal. We work very closely with Google and cell phone carriers for every software update. And, obviously we want the new release to improve our devices. If we determine that can't be done-well then, we're not able to upgrade that particular device. Happy upgrading!"

Users are not happy, and are complaining that their phones, which are less than a year old in some cases, are being denied a refresh while others are getting it with no problems.

"My Droid 3 isn't even a year old, and Motorola has decided not to upgrade it. Phones with slower processors, less RAM, and manufacturers with fewer resources have been upgraded to ICS. This is an infuriating call by Motorola, as it was made with one factor in mind: money," said one poster in the comments.

"Google are going to have a seriously difficult time trying to rebuild any trust in the Motorola brand," added another.

Although some devices will get the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update, many will not. Motorola updated its upgrade information pages to coincide with its blog and it shows that a good cluster of its hardware releases will stay on Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
    Motorola cools on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich updates - The Inquirer

HTC Android 4.0 plans revealed, no update for low-end phones | CNET UK

Burned Again: Sony Says Flagship Playstation Phone, Xperia Play, Won’t Be Getting ICS. | Gadgetsteria
    05-28-12 08:28 PM
    The iPhone 4 had a new design, introduced the Retina display and a vastly superior camera along with a form of multitasking and various other significant OS tweaks. As is typical for Apple, it's difficult to describe the evolution of the device in discrete terms; the experience of using the device utterly destroyed everything else at the time.
    05-29-12 01:23 PM
    You forgot to add that it was developed by a successful American company.
    Correction: It was an unsuccessful design, with serious technnical flaws concealed by a successful marketing campaign.
    05-29-12 01:30 PM
    The iPhone 4 had a new design, introduced the Retina display and a vastly superior camera along with a form of multitasking and various other significant OS tweaks. As is typical for Apple, it's difficult to describe the evolution of the device in discrete terms; the experience of using the device utterly destroyed everything else at the time.
    You sure about that?
    05-29-12 01:35 PM
    While I agree with your rundown of what the iPhone 4 added, I don't agree that the experience of using the device destroyed everything else. I know it's just one example, but my friend got the iPhone 4 shortly after its release. This isn't signal related, but every once in awhile sound will completely cut out from her phone while on a call. I've had a few calls with here where this has happened. She can hear me, but I can't hear here. So I'll speak, and she'll text back her reply until the sound comes back. It's pretty comical, but not very efficient.
    05-29-12 01:54 PM
    You sure about that?
    Yes; positive. Its closest competitor at the time was the EVO 4G, which had an inferior display and camera, and Froyo + Sense, while not at all bad, was nowhere near as polished as iOS. The app situation wasn't even close.
    05-29-12 02:50 PM
    Correction: It was an unsuccessful design, with serious technnical flaws concealed by a successful marketing campaign.
    Nice response

Though the response was idiotic to begin with, the question was how was it revolutionary, and being designed by a successful American company doesn't make something revolutionary in the slightest, MILLIONS of things are made by successful American company's
    05-29-12 04:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD