I'm confused as to what these 2 do. I tried to increase them (32 MB & 2 MB respectively) and I find no improvement in device performance regarding multimedia. Large pictures still take time to load and pan, and thumbnail generation for new pictures is still painful.

The most astounding aspect is that when I try to allocate less memory (down to 5MB) my BlackBerry disallows it on the grounds that. "There is not enough free space", while it allows more allocation (up from 15 MB to 32 MB).

Just what are they?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 01:33 AM
    For what I know, Device Memory Limit is the size of temporary memory allocated to the user, like a 'buffer area'. There was one situation where I tried to download a 5MB video file from the net with the a device memory limit of 5MB - and it wouldn't allow me due to insufficient memory space (they referenced 4.3MB was only available, which was the same amount I had on my phone on 5MB setting). Extending this limit to 12MB would probably allow me to download it.

I'll try the 12MB setting later and report back if it works.
    08-13-11 03:05 AM
    I think it also uses the allocated memory to scan faster or slower depending on the settings. If you add new files and immediately try to access them it will show you a status bar that states "scanning" for all media files.
    Much the same as Pc's index files for quicker retrieval.

08-13-11 06:08 PM
    Pls help me, after installed AppWorld, my phone always show a pop up message :
    YOUR DEVICE MEMORY IS EXCEEDING THE GIVEN LIMIT. YOU CAN MOVE DATA TO SDCARD TO GET OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE.

This is very bothering since it shown every second, after i've changed to increase media options to 32MB seems it works for a while but then the mssg came up again!

Really need your help what should i do??
    09-08-11 03:27 AM
    It's just device memory partitioned for ringtones, etc.

Move all media to the sd card, save the space.

@anna_d4f Reload the OS. Use these instructions, but make sure you've made a backup with desktop manager AND that the device software is installed. How to Wipe / Load OS Using BBSAK - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

09-08-11 03:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD