When i want to setup an e-mail account on Logicmail, it asks me if i want to setup an IMAP or POP account. What is the difference between these two accounts. Which one of these should i choose? Plz help me out!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 12:45 PM
    In simple terms, an IMAP account is one where the e-mail sits on the server and never leaves the server. You access your e-mail through an IMAP client.

With a POP server, email is downloaded from the server to your client (such as Outlook, Outlook Express...). The e-mail can be deleted from the server, ro left on there.

It all depends on how your e-mail server is set up.
    06-28-10 02:43 PM
    In simple terms, an IMAP account is one where the e-mail sits on the server and never leaves the server. You access your e-mail through an IMAP client.

With a POP server, email is downloaded from the server to your client (such as Outlook, Outlook Express...). The e-mail can be deleted from the server, ro left on there.

It all depends on how your e-mail server is set up.
    I am just an ordinary person using a hotmail account and want to know which account I should make. Can you plz suggest an account which you think is simple and easy to use. Keep in mind I am no business man or anything! Lol.

06-28-10 03:32 PM
    I'd suggest IMAP.

POP is useful for certain things and was helpful when people had dial-up because it would download your e-mails to your computer and didn't require them to be re-downloaded. With faster web speeds, I'd suggest IMAP. The problem with POP is if you download it off the server and go to another computer, those e-mails won't be available to you.
    06-28-10 03:50 PM
    I'd suggest IMAP.

POP is useful for certain things and was helpful when people had dial-up because it would download your e-mails to your computer and didn't require them to be re-downloaded. With faster web speeds, I'd suggest IMAP. The problem with POP is if you download it off the server and go to another computer, those e-mails won't be available to you.
    So if i open an e-mail from my blackberry using an IMAP account, will i still be able to open that e-mail from my computer? Will it change any of my settings for the account? Am I still allowed to perform all of the functions that I can do on my computer on my blackberry?

06-29-10 07:46 AM
    So if i open an e-mail from my blackberry using an IMAP account, will i still be able to open that e-mail from my computer? Will it change any of my settings for the account? Am I still allowed to perform all of the functions that I can do on my computer on my blackberry?

Yes, if you open an e-mail from your BB using an IMAP acount, you will be albe to open it from your computer. Take Gmail for instance, I can read my e-mails on my BB, and I can log on using my PC and read the same e-mails. Another benefit to IMAP is that messages that I open on my BB show as being opened on my Gmail inbox. It does not change any account settings.

As far as being allowed to perform all the same functions, it depends on what you are trying to do. You can an do all the standard reply, forward, reply to all, etc. You can view attachments, compose e-mail, that sort of thing. Where things get kind of sketchy is if you use folders and such to organize your e-mails, as I don't believe there is much support for that sort of thing, but I could be wrong as I use Gmail, and thru the app you can add labels, stars, that sort of thing.

I suggest IMAP...
    06-29-10 08:00 AM
    Yes, if you open an e-mail from your BB using an IMAP acount, you will be albe to open it from your computer. Take Gmail for instance, I can read my e-mails on my BB, and I can log on using my PC and read the same e-mails. Another benefit to IMAP is that messages that I open on my BB show as being opened on my Gmail inbox. It does not change any account settings.

As far as being allowed to perform all the same functions, it depends on what you are trying to do. You can an do all the standard reply, forward, reply to all, etc. You can view attachments, compose e-mail, that sort of thing. Where things get kind of sketchy is if you use folders and such to organize your e-mails, as I don't believe there is much support for that sort of thing, but I could be wrong as I use Gmail, and thru the app you can add labels, stars, that sort of thing.

I suggest IMAP...
    Thanks for the help!

06-29-10 10:03 AM
    IMAP has more features. That's the difference.

06-29-10 11:49 AM
    To ensure what happens with your messages on your phone is to your preference, go to your Messaging App and then select Options. Go to Email Reconciliation and select the e-mail address you want to select from Message Services.

For my phone, I selected
    Delete On: Handheld
    Wireless Reconcile: On
    On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins

With those settings, if I delete from my phone it does not permanently delete on the server. You can have it selected so that it deletes from mailbox and handheld...or have it prompt you to decide everytime you e-mail. I'd suggest giving the mailbox priority for conflicts. You can always go on a web browser and get the e-mails back.
    06-30-10 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD