I'm new to Blackberry ana confused. Someone post or message me and tell me the diffference between a storm and torch.......HELP!!
    01-23-11 04:38 PM
    First: click screen vs non-click. The storm series requires you to press on the screen as opposed to simply tapping it.

Second: Torch uses a 624MHz processor, while the storm series uses the Qualcomm 528MHz processor - but the Storm 2 has a GPU, the Torch doesn't.

Third: all Touch on the storm, while the Torch has a slideout keyboard, in addition to Touch.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 04:41 PM
    The Torch is what a touchscreen blackberry should be.

The storm is what no touchscreen phone should ever be.

However, I tend to prefer the Storm's general form factor over the Torch. Too bad about the clicky screen and low memory/storage...
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-23-11 at 07:40 PM.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 07:32 PM
    Also, the storm has no support for os6

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 07:36 PM
    The Torch is what a touchscreen blackberry should be.

The storm is what no touchscreen phone should ever be.

However, I tend to prefer the Storm's general form factor over the Torch. Too bad about the clicky screen...
    Incorrect. Neither are what a Touchscreen phone should be.
    01-23-11 07:40 PM
    What's wrong with the Torch's touch screen? Its capacitive and responsive like all touch screens (ie iPhone 4) :s

sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 07:44 PM
    What's wrong with the Torch's touch screen? Its capacitive and responsive like all touch screens (ie iPhone 4) :s

The experiences I've had with it are lag and difficulty typing compared to other touch screen phones. I would prefer typing on a bigger screen without the slide out keyboard. They tried to make the physical keyboard like the 9700 but it just doesn't have the same feel. A Storm without that surepress would be my dream BlackBerry.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 07:51 PM
    Other words Storm sucks,and Gpu is not importance right....so Torch is a upgrade to make up for the mistakes Blackberry made or left out in Storm and Storm 2 thanks for the comments,I'm learning from it....
    01-23-11 07:58 PM
    Don't forget, in the US, the Storm is a Verizon exclusive while the Torch is an AT&T exclusive.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 07:58 PM
    I think they are both good phones. Some folks love surepress on the storm, typing is better on the storm 2. The torch is a touchscreen phone for people who love the blackberry keyboard. The torch is newer phone with the latest OS for BB phones. It looks like they have new versions of both phones coming out this year.

sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 08:27 PM
    The only thing the Torch needs is higher resolution and maybe a 3.5" touchscreen, and it's fine. The formfactor is generally good enough. When I said what a touchscreen BB should be, I was referring mostly to form factor and base hardware configuration. The Torch can be a great phone if just a few components were upgraded. The storm needs to be scrapped and started from scratch. That's why the upcoming "Storm" is a brand new phone, while the Torch is a refresh. Apparently RIM agrees with me, and not you...?

The only things really lacking in the Torch:

Screen Resolution
    App Memory
    Internal Storage
    Processor and Memory Clock Speed
    OS Updates

BlackBerry OS is JavaME based, and JavaME is not known to be a model of performance and efficiency, anyways. However, everything I listed is getting beefed up quite a bit in the leaked Torch Refresh, and the upcoming "Storm" had it been released a couple months ago would be able to go toe to toe with any iOS/WP7/Android device. It will probably sell better than the Torch 2 since the form factor will no doubt attract the attention of people who use other platforms.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-23-11 at 09:20 PM.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 09:15 PM
    The only thing the Torch needs is higher resolution and maybe a 3.5" touchscreen, and it's fine. The formfactor is generally good enough. The only thing really lacking is:

Screen Resolution
    App Memory
    Internal Storage
    Processor and Memory Clock Speed (This can potentially eliminate much of the lag)

BlackBerry OS is JavaME based, and JavaME is not known to be a model of performance and efficiency, anyways.
    The only other thing that I can think of is somehow changing the physical keyboard. It's just not comfortable to type on in my opinion.
    01-23-11 09:18 PM
    The only thing the Torch needs is higher resolution and maybe a 3.5" touchscreen, and it's fine. The formfactor is generally good enough. When I said what a touchscreen BB should be, I was referring mostly to form factor and base hardware configuration. The Torch can be a great phone if just a few components were upgraded. The storm needs to be scrapped and started from scratch. That's why the upcoming "Storm" is a brand new phone, while the Torch is a refresh. Apparently RIM agrees with me, and not you...?

The only things really lacking in the Torch:

Screen Resolution
    App Memory
    Internal Storage
    Processor and Memory Clock Speed
    OS Updates

BlackBerry OS is JavaME based, and JavaME is not known to be a model of performance and efficiency, anyways. However, everything I listed is getting beefed up quite a bit in the leaked Torch Refresh, and the upcoming "Storm" had it been released a couple months ago would be able to go toe to toe with any iOS/WP7/Android device. It will probably sell better than the Torch 2 since the form factor will no doubt attract the attention of people who use other platforms.
    Wait, you're bringing facts into this discussion. That is brave my friend.
    sonofsam likes this.
    01-23-11 09:27 PM
    I don't think the Torch needs anything hardware wise. Its great just the way it is. Now it would be nice if there was a bigger blackberry. It wouldntnhave to be a touch screen but would be nice. A physical keyboard is a must. I guess yall forget not everybody likes big phones. The Toech falls right in the middle.
    I never got to play w/ a storm. I've alway thought they looked sharp on tv.

sonofsam likes this.
    01-24-11 01:37 AM
    The Storm is a lousy phone...I had the original Storm and then the Storm 2
    With the Storm line of phones you have to do a battery pull every day or maybe every 2 days if your are really lucky otherwise it starts to hang, lag and become unstable, memory leaks galore, poor battery life and that click screen was terrible. At first I thought the click screen was pretty cool but after using the Torch and the Captivate touchscreen keyboard I now can't stand using that click screen. The Torch seems to have the same screen as the Storm but it also has a slide out physical keyboard for those that don't like touch screens. In my experience with both devices the Torch smokes the Storm
    01-24-11 03:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD