I have seen so much SPAM recently. What is the deal? I don't remember this much in the past. It is frustrating.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-10 10:26 PM
    I agree. Too bad there can't be a Mod past through before posting.
    06-10-10 10:55 PM
    I've noticed that as well. They usually hit the forum up pretty bad overnight.
    06-10-10 11:00 PM
    The spammer come from Eastern Europe & Asia so middle of the night is day for them. We got Bla1ze, AG & Branta around usually thou and the rest of us when we wake up. Mod pass thru will NEVER work CB is just too busy of a board for that, BUT we are working on the SPAM issue and we have implemented something recently and more stuff is coming.

What we need from you guys (and you guys ARE pretty good already) is too keep reporting it when you see it) and DON'T respond in their threads, or quote them when they respond in other threads.
    06-10-10 11:07 PM
    Thanks pk. I will continue to report it.

06-10-10 11:10 PM
    The spammer come from Eastern Europe & Asia so middle of the night is day for them. We got Bla1ze, AG & Branta around usually thou and the rest of us when we wake up. Mod pass thru will NEVER work CB is just too busy of a board for that, BUT we are working on the SPAM issue and we have implemented something recently and more stuff is coming.

What we need from you guys (and you guys ARE pretty good already) is too keep reporting it when you see it) and DON'T respond in their threads, or quote them when they respond in other threads.
    Is there a way to ban anything with "frogydata" in the thread title?
    06-10-10 11:17 PM
    What about a hello forum? I've seen a few on other sites, you have one forum where you can post until you are at 5 or 10 messages then the rest of the forum is open for you to post.

It would contain it all to one spot at least.
    06-11-10 12:04 AM
    What about a hello forum? I've seen a few on other sites, you have one forum where you can post until you are at 5 or 10 messages then the rest of the forum is open for you to post.

It would contain it all to one spot at least.

Been there and tried that, all it did was tick legit users off and basically make them not want to post. And well, for the most part the spam we see is contained. Just so happens "BlackBerry Discussion" is where it's mostly contained to.

It's all automated, with revolving addresses etc..etc..and being realistic, as the forums get larger...they become a larger target for spammers because the more traffic, the more likely people are to click on the links.

We're testing different methods to help the situation out. In the meantime, of course we apologize for it and we do the best we can to get it cleaned up when we see it and certainly appreciate all of you guys for reporting it. Just hang with us, till we can find an alternate means of stopping it. The solution is not as easy as some may think.
    06-11-10 12:13 AM
    thanks mods for all you do .
    06-11-10 12:17 AM
    It had now moved into the 9650 forum - not as new threads, but as replies to legit threads.

What about having to put in a verification code to post - until you get X amount of posts. Most newbies would understand since it is helping stop spam.

06-11-10 06:09 AM
    The spam is so annoying. I think that the current setup works well. I'm remembering when I first got a BlackBerry. I was new to forums and BlackBerrys. The current setup is welcoming to people just getting started. I remember being unable to transfer a ringtone from my old phone to my new BlackBerry; I searched and found answers and was immediately hooked on CB. Someone above suggested making new members post through a mod for the first five or ten posts - maybe that's feasible? Or allowing members to report more than one post in a shorter time frame than 60 seconds? These are ideas I've seen but perhaps there are technological roadblocks to implementing them. Anyway, it makes me appreciate the mods more.

06-11-10 07:11 AM
    The simple answer is as pk and Bla1ze suggest. If there is more than one post from the same spammer just report one, because we nuke all their posts anyway.

Reducing the reporting interval sounds good but there's a huge problem - the spammers can auto-flood the system and knock it offline with hundreds of reports every minute. We can live with a slight delay between reports.
    06-11-10 07:38 AM
    I don't know why anyone really cares about those spamming morons. Just dont read the threads they make and skip over any replies.

The fact that we get more here now just shows how this place is growing (which isn't a bad thing).
    06-11-10 08:00 AM
    I don't know why anyone really cares about those spamming morons. Just dont read the threads they make and skip over any replies.

The fact that we get more here now just shows how this place is growing (which isn't a bad thing).
    That isn't always possible. Some spams are obvious just by title alone, but
    if there is a thread with the title "Hi, new guy here" most people would open
    it to welcome the member only to find out it's just spam.

I do agree with not replying though. Simply report it and we are all over it.
    06-11-10 08:56 AM
    That isn't always possible. Some spams are obvious just by title alone, but
    if there is a thread with the title "Hi, new guy here" most people would open
    it to welcome the member only to find out it's just spam.

I do agree with not replying though. Simply report it and we are all over it.
    Good point. I usually put my pointer over the thread title and check out the preview first. So unless they start off with a "genuine sounding sentence or two" I know to avoid it. However if you're on your BB, I guess that wouldn't work.
    06-11-10 09:07 AM
    I gotta hand it to the mods, they're on top of this. I have't seen spam in a forum for more than 10 minutes.
    06-11-10 09:40 AM
    It's been here, I've delete, several!
    06-11-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD