I currently have a Palm Pre Plus. Love the OS, but the keyboard has been driving me nuts....

The one thing glueing me to it at this point is the free Mobile Hotspot allowing me to use my phone as a Wireless Router allowing me to use my Laptop at client locations.

If this new phone can be utilized the same way, I am thinking I will be back to Blackberry.

Any rumors on this type of feature?
    04-14-10 05:12 PM
    Crap. I just bought a Pre Plus and now I REALLY dont know why.
    04-14-10 05:18 PM
    I doubt that the phone will have that functionality.. I would be delighted, but i would bet money against it.
    04-14-10 05:44 PM
    Slim odds. Every other Smartphone OS can do this is one form or another. Symbian, WinMo, Apple OS, WebOS.
    04-14-10 05:57 PM
    even IF it doesn't. U can just tether it with a hard wire.
    "the old fashion wAy"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-10 09:54 PM
    Yeah but It would just be a cool feature to have.

04-15-10 12:01 AM
    that was the one thing that made me attracted to the palm pre plus that and its design but other than that the phone doesn thave much to offer i dont think. too bad the bb bold 9650 wont have that :[
    04-15-10 12:07 AM
    Doesn't Tether (formerly Tetherberry) do this same thing?
    04-15-10 05:13 AM
    Doesn't Tether (formerly Tetherberry) do this same thing?
    Not if you have a Mac with Desktop Manager installed. Would rather have the capability to turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot.
    04-15-10 08:40 AM
    Not if you have a Mac with Desktop Manager installed. Would rather have the capability to turn the phone into a WiFi hotspot.
    huh, really? I had tetherberry and it always worked fine for me...
    04-15-10 10:52 AM
    even IF it doesn't. U can just tether it with a hard wire.
    "the old fashion wAy"

Or blue tooth (cheap dongles are available if your laptop doesn't have BT) but that is slower then hardwire.

Tethering (via USB or BT) is a deal breaker for me as that is what I use for my business at the office. No hardwire lines coming in - who needs them?
    04-15-10 10:54 AM
    I really wish RIM would add this feature. Then i could use my iPod Touch to stream music instead of draining my phones battery.
    04-15-10 12:43 PM
    There is a difference between tethering (wired or wireless), which allows one computer to access the Internet through the phone, and hotspot, in which the phone becomes a WiFi access point for multiple PCs. Even my Motorola StarTac, circa 2000, did tethering. I've searched and have not been able to find any way to use a BB as a Hotspot, though.
    04-15-10 12:49 PM
    Yeah I don't think it quill be able to do this. I do not know of any blackberry capable of this. Is there one cause I don't think so.

04-15-10 01:01 PM
    Thats a bummer....I like the Palm, don't get me wrong, but it's still a work in progress. It seems like every Smartphone OS EXCEPT BB can do it

I also use the Wifi Mobile Hotspot for the iPad so the bluetooth or USB wouldn't work so well. It took them forever to allow Wifi on their devices for Verizon.....I hope they eventually break into more WiFi capabilities.
    04-15-10 01:43 PM
    I wish it would have this feature, but I don't see it happening
    04-15-10 04:48 PM
    The only way I can create a mobile hotspot currently, is by using my MacBook as a router...I tether my 9630 to the Mac via BT usuallyn and from there I use the computer to share the BT connection with the AirPort, which creates a mini WiFi network, allowing my iPod or iPad to jump online...or in the case of last week (was on the train to NYC) I let two people sitting next to me connect their iPhones for web browsing while I got some light work done. Same can be done with a Windows PC...but it would be nice if someone, somewhere, would write some kind of program to allow the BB to work as a hotspot, without using a laptop as a router, or a cradlepoint router...I'm tempted to buy a MiFi, but I mean, realistically....my BB and laptop can already do what the MiFi does...although its not as fast when using the BB as a modem...but still.

04-15-10 11:27 PM
    huh, really? I had tetherberry and it always worked fine for me...
    Tetherberry has an issue where you can't have the Desktop Manager for Mac installed and use tether berry, because the desktop manager automatically grabs the connection immediately. All macs have Bluetooth so that isn't an issue.
    04-16-10 09:34 AM
    Get an EVO as a second line... it will be cheaper than a MiFi

The only way I can create a mobile hotspot currently, is by using my MacBook as a router...I tether my 9630 to the Mac via BT usuallyn and from there I use the computer to share the BT connection with the AirPort, which creates a mini WiFi network, allowing my iPod or iPad to jump online...or in the case of last week (was on the train to NYC) I let two people sitting next to me connect their iPhones for web browsing while I got some light work done. Same can be done with a Windows PC...but it would be nice if someone, somewhere, would write some kind of program to allow the BB to work as a hotspot, without using a laptop as a router, or a cradlepoint router...I'm tempted to buy a MiFi, but I mean, realistically....my BB and laptop can already do what the MiFi does...although its not as fast when using the BB as a modem...but still.

04-16-10 11:51 AM
    Ahhh I totally would if there was 4g in my area! I live in albany, ny but am in nyc all the time...not even nyc has 4g yet

I messed with the htc hd2 yesterday on tmob, and can only magine how sick the evo is gonna be!

Get an EVO as a second line... it will be cheaper than a MiFi
    04-16-10 01:04 PM
    The will also work on 3G, though... so even if you're not currently in a 4G coverage area, you'll still be able to use it over EV-DO until Wimax rolls out it your area.
    04-16-10 07:06 PM
    I know the EVO is a 3G/4G phone...but 4G is not yet in ny, and won't be for a while...I'm sticking with BB for the near future.

The will also work on 3G, though... so even if you're not currently in a 4G coverage area, you'll still be able to use it over EV-DO until Wimax rolls out it your area.
    04-16-10 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD