I just got one from my company, never had one before, and I'm sure these questions were asked before but some answers didn't seem that clear or contradicted to other posts so please be clear and specific!

I have the blackberry curve 8310

1) Can I add a personal email (Ie Gmail) w/o the company tracking it? How?

2) Can I surf the internet without my co. tracking my activity? What if I went on every site using "https" as opposed to "http"?

3) If I take pictures on w/ the camera phone, can my co see it??

4) Is there ANYTHING personal that can be used with a co. issued blackberry, and if so, what???

Also, this is non blackberry related, but any technies know the answer to this--on my computer PC at work, if i go online to check gmail using "https" will they be able to track my personal email??? I try not to use my work address for personal email at all so access to gmail during the day is important to me...i need to have SOME LIFE outside of work!! i read about this online but want to verify if anyone knows!!!!

many thanks!
    03-08-08 05:18 PM
    First of all, welcome to CrackBerry.

The company can track EVERYTHING I think. If you put it as simply as 'can they see what I take with my camera?' It sounds weird but 'can they access my SD card?' That's another story.

It's whether the admin can be bothered too look through your stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-08 05:59 PM
    yes they can track everything but will they is another question. My company does not track due to they encourage us to have BB's and we are paying for our own service. They don't want to tick us off so they leave us alone.
    03-08-08 06:24 PM
    What exactly is it that you don't want them to see?

03-08-08 07:58 PM
    I would say it depends on your company's policy.

03-08-08 08:25 PM
    Once again i'll state for the record. If you are connected you are capable of being tracked. The question is.....what do you have to hide? If you are really worried, then don't do it.
    03-08-08 08:40 PM
    nothing to hide at all, but if i can avoid it i'd rather avoid it! work at a hedge fund...so i just feel like they're more likely to be more strict about these things than most
    03-08-08 09:08 PM
    I know in my line of work (construction) I get calls from headhunters. I have them send me any electronic info to my personal email account and check it at home. Large companies don't typically read every email you get, but they do set filters for key words. I also know of some that will have headhunters call you just to see if you are happy with your current employer or not.

If I was in sales, in a competive market, I would stay away from BES, but that's just me.
    03-09-08 08:09 AM
    1) Company supplied data devices and all data within said device belong to the supplying company. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy with such a setup. That being said, you can always keep your IT dept loaded with a healthy supply of Krispy Kreme doughnuts in return for a blind eye. (Wink wink, nudge nudge) :-)

03-09-08 08:48 AM
    I kinda had the same question, my it dept. Is offering to set me up on the network so I can get my email on off hours, but wouldn't that change me to bes?
    For the OP, it's all about privacy and that is a good question.

03-09-08 09:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD