Personally, I think the issue with RIM today is image, perception and trust:

1. Delivering on promises. Fail! No trust.
    2. Delivering in a timely manner. Fail! No trust.
    3. Delivering competitive devices -- Fast BB7 devices have really helped here, but BBX cannot fail! Will result in a loss of trust, poor delivery perception, bad image.
    4. Communicating early and quickly when there is a problem. Better with recent outage but still much later than it should have been! Made up with free apps
    5. Selling off PlayBooks at $300 off is good, but can be damaging to the product's image. Optically, it looks bad: dumping. Benefits: it gets in the hands of more users. I hope RIM will broadcast how many new users have PlayBooks as that helps attract new developers.

Seriously, the PlayBook at $199 is far superior to the Kindle Fire and anything else under $500. Trouble is... false PERCEPTION:

* Works only with BlackBerry.
    * Perceived as "a dead platform" because of a perceived lack of support -- still no native PIM!
    * Competitor's devices came in much cheaper, while RIM had this artificial price close to the iPad, when the PlayBook wasn't perceived to be "close to the iPad" by many. Price of the PlayBook is the entry point into that ecosystem, but the PlayBook had far less apps (much smaller ecosystem) and little support from RIM (from an outsider's perspective).

RIM has had a serious image loss over the last year, especially. BlackBerry 7 is helping, but other stumbles (PlayBook PIM features missing, BB7 devices very late!), mis-steps (native PIM, Android, PlayBook 2.0 in October), blunders (data outage & communication), have exacerbated the issues resulting in a lack of trust and very negative perception.

How can RIM fix that? It would be interesting to read your comments.

Before you post "the resignation of Mike & Jim", please be aware that these two folks care more about the company, and they are more interested in the success of that company than anyone else on the planet!
    11-25-11 11:37 AM
    Put out devices that are complete and that work. Delivery on things you say. Pay bloggers etc. to promote more then competitors pay to bash. Get devs writing apps that a lot want.
    11-25-11 11:46 AM
    The reality is that RIM is just not good at marketing. There are so many awesome things about BlackBerry (especially with the OS7 devices) that consumers are not aware of, that the big gainers are the other two major mobile platforms.

I suggest that if people want to support BB they simply show their new OS7 devices to people. I have had six people purchase new BB phones after I showed them my Bold 9930. I know three more that are considering it.

What would happen if BB lovers just showed their phones to other people? Well, my experience tells me we would be looking super good. I think BB is going to have a great 2012. I made a few videos on this and I'm no marketing guy.

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...kberry-672191/

People say RIM is not doing anything but I just keep seeing upgrades of all kinds almost daily. Be it the BB Traffic with voice navigation, BBM Music (which I love), BB Movies, on the way with major studios signed up already (100k movies), Playbook upgrades coming, Apps pouring in, better faster tools for developers, etc, etc.

Every company has ups and downs, even mighty apple almost went out of business around 2000. I think this tough year has gotten RIM to refocus and they are going to come out stronger and better for it.

Go RIM!
    11-25-11 11:57 AM
    They have to generate excitement over cool new phones as well as a fully functional smooth OS.
    Couple that will a plethora of supported apps that people will want to buy, and you've got yourself an following.

RIM failed to capture the audience to date, so hopefully next years BBX phones will do that. If not, there will be nothing RIM can do to get back into the NA market.
    11-25-11 12:05 PM
    Im my mind.

Good looks
    Specs that's are the same or better then the competition
    A good ecosystem
    PR
    MARKETING lol. Blackberry doesn't do nearly enough marketing to get ppl in the know about there devices. Most consumers are stupid and if they don't see it before they go to buy they wont likely know anything about it.
    11-25-11 12:18 PM
    Unfortunately, the concept RIM had of using the internet without requiring apps came too late. Apple and Google really brain-locked people into an 'App' mentality, so they have to step up and make it easier to feed into that.

Get the software flowing, feed the app-minded, and make it better than the competition.

If they wanna tempt people with free lap dances, they'll need to address that later, and NOT use the current heads of the company!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Laura Knotek and howarmat like this.
    11-25-11 12:18 PM
    Marketing to let people know the features and benefits of BB. I've learned a ton more from the crackberry website about blackberry then from BlackBerry ads or marketing material. TV ads with that info in it would help also. Capture the younger crowd and you'll get the parents also.

11-25-11 12:41 PM
    Everyone got pretty excited when BIS went down. They could always try that again ;-)

11-25-11 12:55 PM
    Put out phones (more preciscely, OSes) that don't cause the phone to brick at random. It is a major PITA to reload an OS and have to do battery pulls all the time just to make the phone useable again. I just want something that works (which is why I'm leaving BlackBerry when my contract is up in January).

11-25-11 03:46 PM
    Every company has ups and downs, even mighty apple almost went out of business around 2000.
    Only if, by "2000," you actually mean "1997."

I think BB is going to have a great 2012.
    And if they don't, this time next year you'll be telling us how they're going to have a great 2013. And so on.

All RIM really needs are products that appeal to the market generally, and not just to people who have prior experience with the brand. Enterprise growth (which was how many people were introduced to the platform) isn't what it used to be, and RIM is now having to survive in a world where many people now carry their own personally-chosen smartphones, and for the most part those people are not choosing BlackBerry devices (based on sales data).
    11-25-11 04:35 PM
    I agree marketing, image, brand awareness are the major problems. Their products suit me, no complaints. Lap dancing? It's a start.
    Joe257 and howarmat like this.
    11-25-11 04:48 PM
    Love it, guerllamo7, many believe in the BlackBerry and RIM's efforts in furthering its development. Yes, some mistakes have been made, and yes, RIM could have benefited from some more unfair and predatory tactics but I think they do make awesome products. There was a dry spell a few years ago with BB4 and 5, but they've bounced back.

I agree, 2012 will be a great year!
    11-25-11 06:16 PM
    ok this is what needs to be done. first is understand who you are marketing your product to. RIM started off with the mentality off making phones for the business man. keep that mentality... but also realize their is another market that doesnt care about security and such. so break your phones into two categories. business and casual. i would expect business phones to be like 9900/30 with bbx and front facing camera. the casual phone will be 9810/50/60/ type with front facing camera bigger screen better resolution. that all it takes but marketing this will be the most important. RIM is dying and only because of public preception. bbx will be make or break for rim in NA... i believe in qnx/bbx as a platform/os but marketing(getting the phones in the publics hands) will be key. they have to excuse my language market the **** out of these phones. i expect(and better) see RIM all over the place when these phones launch. these phone should be the biggest cell phone launch/promotion/marketing in communication history. its going to take drastic measure for rim to pull this off and get back on top.
    Joe257 likes this.
    11-25-11 07:04 PM
    All rim needs is a charismatic leader,steve jobs was that to apple.jobs sold millions of eyefones just by headlining the release of the products.mike and jim aren't seen as"cool",but jobs was and teens and adults felt the cool factor when buying the aye-phone.

11-25-11 07:40 PM
    Im my mind.

Good looks
    Specs that's are the same or better then the competition
    A good ecosystem
    PR
    MARKETING lol. Blackberry doesn't do nearly enough marketing to get ppl in the know about there devices. Most consumers are stupid and if they don't see it before they go to buy they wont likely know anything about it.
    Yes, MARKETING! I like what they did at WES 2010 with the BlackBerry 6 sneak peak video. Yeah the song was a bit old, but it worked, and I felt it was the best marketing they've done ever! They just aren't doing the job. The only folks who care about RIM products are reading and posting on this blog!!!! They're reading the good stuff, but most people out there just don't have the time.

The PlayBook got zero marketing! It even took folks a while to realize what the PlayBook was when it went on sale. That's how poor a job the marketing folks are doing! CrackBerry is RIM's biggest champion.

Only recently, they've upped the website with great videos and lots of info on their products so that consumers can make informed decisions. I wish they would also make it interactive too... perhaps in time when the unnecessary negativity will subside.
    11-25-11 07:45 PM
    Sorry to hear that you're seeking greener pastures. That is unfortunate. Will you go Android or iPhone? What are you looking for in a phone? What would entice you to buy?

I've heard a few people speak about their 9900 being bricked. I can't say that I've had any such problem with my 9860, so I can't speak about the 9900 specifically. No one I know personally has had a bricking problem with their 9900/30s or any other BB7 device, so it is hard to determine what the cause it.
    11-25-11 07:53 PM
    A Jobs only comes along in a generation. There aren't many of them. Mike & Jim do a fairly respectable job but you don't hire CEOs by their charisma. Many can talk, but few can walk the talk. I'd rather take someone that can walk even if they can't talk. Let the marketing folks do the talking! Trouble is, the marketing department is on hiatus in Tahiti! They did the BlackBerry 6 sneak peak video and that was enough for them.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-25-11 07:57 PM
    JMHO. RIM needs to "finally" except that what was working before, isn't working now. Also helps to not give the impression to customers the equivalent of an arrogant FU-except it or leave attitude. Ex. There should have been and "all points" push in advertisement for the 7.0 devices. Yeah, I know....."stop-gap" devices until the new devices are out. Ok, still sippin' the kool-aid. But, having some wealthy fat-cat tell us that "we will be pleasantly surprised" (lol, shocked and awed) when the new BBX devices are released really doesn't mean ish when a lot of members are on the fence about RIM and the future of Blackberries as a concern and not just a rant. "If you're perceived as being in the crapper, most are waiting to see if you are willing to do what it takes to get out or continue(as usual), and go further down the drain." Still love Blackberries. But, let's keep it real. Also, posted from my 9810.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 11-25-11 at 08:51 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-25-11 08:43 PM
    I think that RIM needs to decide who they are actually making phones for. Who is their market? Do they want to remain basically a business phone, do they want to go head-to-head with Apple and Android, do they want to retain or alienate their present fan base? I read as much as I can in these forums because I love BB, and I want to learn as much as I can, but I'm honestly not sure where RIM is heading. All I know , and I've said it in other threads, is that I really love my BB 9930 because OS7 just makes sense to me. I think they need to keep doing what they do best.....making great phones.....but actually do some advertising to make everyone aware of how great the phones are! I am excited about new BBX phones in the future, but until they are fully ready to be released, get aggressive and make people aware of how great the newest phones are NOW! Just my opinion, but it's difficult for the general public to be excited about a product when it doesn't appear that the company making the product is excited.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    11-25-11 10:10 PM
    I was thinking about this last night. How much money would Rim save if they were to pull out of USA completely? They rock in other markets just not USA.

11-25-11 10:47 PM
    agree with Your point on number 3, 4, 5.... keyword now for me maybe RIM always give low capacity for Their new BB smartphones...come on 1230mAh really not enough with multitouch, dual core, BB OS7 & not mentioning screen brightness, sound, resolution, etc.

itworldcom.com/what-can-rim-do-to-survive

11-29-11 09:40 AM
    Until Blackberry realizes that Apple and Android's success is more than just "marketing", "people wanting to be cool" or "playing Angry Birds", it's ability to compete will increasingly diminish.

The smartphone market in the US at least has changed from a phone, to a mobile computer market. Blackberry needs to deliver mobile computers if it wants to compete. It is going in this direction with BBX. All that is left is to actually deliver BBX and have it at least be competitive with iOS and Android. The BBM, and PIM capability advantages will drive people to choose Blackberry over iOS/Android.

However, if BBX is not competitive with iOS/Android, RIM had might as well give up on growing marketshare in North American.
    11-29-11 01:25 PM
    yes^^
    also marketing of course like everyone else said Blackberry doesnt focus on this at all.
    I have Harcore iphone friends that have been WoW!! by the demo I showed them
    of my playbook. They had no idea it was that good cause they have not seen a single
    playbook commercial.
    Also the APPS I don't really care for them, but my friends
    swear by them.
    TAKE APPS AWAY FROM AN iPHONE and see what happens to iphone sales.
    its all about apps in North America
    11-29-11 01:35 PM
    Unfortunately, the concept RIM had of using the internet without requiring apps came too late.
    RIM never had this concept. Enabling flash on a tablet does not mean that they have this grand idea to reinvent the tablet marketplace.

After all, the os7 phones and Playbook both have an App World, which directly contradicts what you think.
    11-29-11 02:35 PM
    EMP all the competitors headquarters.
    11-29-11 03:47 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD