There's been a lot of chatter about tablets and smartphones replacing a full fledged computer for a couple years now. What does a phone need to replace YOUR laptop/computer?

I need a physical keyboard and a large screen. An ability to view at least two browser windows at once. A freakin convenience key!

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    11-03-14 02:19 PM
    No phone can completely replace my desktop or laptop - I need a proper numberpad.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    Q10Bold likes this.
    11-03-14 02:25 PM
    Ability to seamlessly and quickly print. That's the biggest reason I keep mine. I know there's ways but none easier than the laptop. No wifi? Quick USB connection and printing and done.

Posted via CB10
    cgallaer likes this.
    11-03-14 03:09 PM
    It should be able to run one of the last MS DOS versions. That would enable me to run a lot of software (not apps) that is still very useful. Hook up the phone to a big screen, a mouse, and a keyboard and I'm good to go. Oh and I probably need some printer drivers as well.

Cannot choose between glas or plastic keyboard
    11-03-14 03:09 PM
    Basically BlackBerry has been very effective at almost replacing a laptop for me, except when a lot of work must be done, situations would include:

Needing multiple browser windows open at once (ability to easily compare information side by side or need many reference materials open) the phone could have many pages open but it is cumbersome to switch back and forth many times.

Needing to create large documents from scratch: While I have used Docs to prepare smaller documents, or edit, it becomes to time consuming when writing over 500 words, especially when it comes to reviewing and editing. Not that it cannot be done, but quality of work suffers if trying to do solely on a phone, or it requires more time than I a laptop was used.

Using some browser based programs: some just don't do well on mobile browsers, this includes on an android tablet. Mobile browsing is just not there yet.

So for the most part, a fully comparable tablet (SurfacePro3) could perform most other laptop duties, however, I find tablets are still not quite as fast/easy as using a traditional laptop. This also raises the situation of use, I prefer to use a laptop on my lap (who'd have thought) I have not tried using this type of tablet this way but fear it would be less comfortable/stable. If it would be unstable I would just give up and move to a laptop or a desktop setup.

Hope this offers some insight into your question, I currently use my phone for most work and the laptop is reserved for "really getting down to work" if you will. In this sense I don't think a hybrid tablet or phone could ever really replace a laptop or desktop.

BB for Life
    11-03-14 03:17 PM
    My Passport does about 75% of my work. I still have some windows programs that I have to use for estimating and such but a lot of my file work is done on the Passport. I no longer have a laptop and have recently moved to a Surface Pro 3. The combination of the Surface and Passport has proven to be a great set up for me! They are excellent on the go as I do most all my work in my car and mobile. Couldn't be happier with the combination.

Passport on AT&T
    11-03-14 04:09 PM
    Honestly, my z10, then z30 and now passport has pretty much done in my home laptop. I use it only to rip cd's lol. Too much crap with windows.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 04:56 PM
    My desktop.

No device can replace my laptop unless I can install apps I need and use them with large screen and keyboard/mouse. If you figure out a way to use Momentics, Sublime text 3, Gimp, ... then we can talk about it
    11-03-14 06:03 PM
    BlackBerry would and should continue to develop Blend. Also, if they could incorporate a windows runtime like they did android, then the day could come where my passport could use existing laptops or even dummy consoles for larger work areas and peripherals. I honestly see this as BlackBerry 's end game. Blend has now allowed me to use email, calendar, etc solely on my device. I rarely open outlook on my work computer. I am hoping we can have the browser through Blend in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 07:23 PM
    I'd agree with the printing thing. If there was a printer-scanner that interfaced with this Passport then I could probably make due without my laptop. As it stands, that's the only time I use it. That, and torrents.

Daily Old Radio Shows! The only Channel that actually offers you a source for entertainment. C0012487D
    11-03-14 07:26 PM
    Honestly I don't want something to replace my laptop. I don't think there is any handheld or tablet that would get the job done. I want a good size screen and good graphics and no device or tablet is even close to that now. Anyone stating that a phone has replaced their laptop doesn't use their laptop to its fullest potential. If you are able to do that then great, but we are a ways off from it becoming a reality for people who use their laptops for things other than spreadsheets, presentations, and sending out emails.
    11-03-14 07:38 PM
    Honestly I don't want something to replace my laptop. I don't think there is any handheld or tablet that would get the job done. I want a good size screen and good graphics and no device or tablet is even close to that now. Anyone stating that a phone has replaced their laptop doesn't use their laptop to its fullest potential. If you are able to do that then great, but we are a ways off from it becoming a reality for people who use their laptops for things other than spreadsheets, presentations, and sending out emails.
    Yes once beyond the basics I have to agree. Inventor and such heavy programs as such are too much for most laptops and desktops are required. The heat generated due to massive calculations through the cpu must be delt with. So yes can a phone replace a computer, technically no, not at today's standards. However Lasardis and his nanotech research might someday change this outlook.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-14 07:55 PM
    Yes once beyond the basics I have to agree. Inventor and such heavy programs as such are too much for most laptops and desktops are required. The heat generated due to massive calculations through the cpu must be delt with. So yes can a phone replace a computer, technically no, not at today's standards. However Lasardis and his nanotech research might someday change this outlook.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed and If that happens I'm all in.
    11-03-14 07:56 PM