I am just wondering what Blackberry is going to do for the Curve users? They have sold a lot of budget handsets via curve. Has anyone heard if they are making BB10 phones that are at this price point?
    02-26-13 04:55 PM
    Good idea but probably won't happen until the new OS gets established. Maybe next year or so.
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    02-26-13 05:05 PM
    Yup yup, part of the six devices being released this year.
    willie44 likes this.
    02-26-13 05:05 PM
    Z & Q are mid- to high range devices, A, is high end, and the others are speculations, like a low end curves & possibly a slider
    02-26-13 05:07 PM
    There is talk of licensing the OS to other OEM's for entry level devices. So there may not be any 9310-20 type BB10 devices but they could release a mid tier 9350-60 type BB10 curve.

Nothing is yet set in stone though.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-26-13 05:47 PM
    I honestly don't think BlackBerry should release any devices lower end than the Z10 or Q10 this year because they could be back in the same place as they were with BB7. Release the awesome quad core Aristo which will then "succeed" the Z10, and then the Z10 will be a mid range phone. Maybe release some similar phones to the Z10 spec wise with different screen sizes. But releasing anything less than Z10 specs later in 2013 wouldn't look good in the consumers' eyes no matter how well the phones perform. To many, they just look at the specs.
    02-26-13 06:33 PM
    How about trackpad users?
    02-26-13 06:39 PM
    If they do lower end BB10 themselves they have already said it will not be this year so look for 2nd quarter 2014 at the earliest.....
    02-26-13 06:46 PM
    There will be NO trackpads with BB10. That would defeat the purpose of the swiping gestures that BB10 is built around.
    02-26-13 06:47 PM
    I honestly don't think BlackBerry should release any devices lower end than the Z10 or Q10 this year because they could be back in the same place as they were with BB7. Release the awesome quad core Aristo which will then "succeed" the Z10, and then the Z10 will be a mid range phone. Maybe release some similar phones to the Z10 spec wise with different screen sizes. But releasing anything less than Z10 specs later in 2013 wouldn't look good in the consumers' eyes no matter how well the phones perform. To many, they just look at the specs.
    No more screen size variations. The central idea behind the BlackBerry 10 form-factor of the screen was to eliminate developers having to release multiple versions of applications based on the screen size of the smartphone. All BlackBerry needs in the BlackBerry 10 line-up is Z10 (all touch), Q10 (touch screen with physical keyboard), S10 (touch screen with slider keyboard), and C10 (touch screen with physical keyboard Curve replacement). I named the S (slider) and C (Curve replacement) to go with Q (first physical QWERTY keyboard in BB10 family) and Z (ZULU/Zero - the starting point in the BlackBerry resurgence). Only four smartphones in the BlackBerry 10 family plus two tablets in the BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 family - WiFi and LTE versions).
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-26-13 06:54 PM
    I think Blackbery real wants to license BB10 for the lower end devices and tablets, which leaves them only making the high end BB10 devices.
    02-26-13 07:03 PM
    lots of good speculative feedback, thank you. I guess only time will tell.
    02-26-13 07:12 PM
    No more screen size variations. The central idea behind the BlackBerry 10 form-factor of the screen was to eliminate developers having to release multiple versions of applications based on the screen size of the smartphone. All BlackBerry needs in the BlackBerry 10 line-up is Z10 (all touch), Q10 (touch screen with physical keyboard), S10 (touch screen with slider keyboard), and C10 (touch screen with physical keyboard Curve replacement). I named the S (slider) and C (Curve replacement) to go with Q (first physical QWERTY keyboard in BB10 family) and Z (ZULU/Zero - the starting point in the BlackBerry resurgence). Only four smartphones in the BlackBerry 10 family plus two tablets in the BlackBerry Tablet OS 2 family - WiFi and LTE versions).
    Except the quad core Aristo will have a larger screen than the Z10.
    02-26-13 08:02 PM
    just going to wait, and watch. Z10 buzz is going on at this time. Maybe they'll throw us qwerty freaks a bone.
    neteng1000 likes this.
    02-26-13 08:41 PM
    Except the quad core Aristo will have a larger screen than the Z10.
    Nobody needs a quad core smartphone. What are they going to run that requires 4 cores - a bloody missile command and battle simulator system in your hand? I can picture WOPR held in someone's hand as they laugh manically whilst stroking their feline.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    02-26-13 09:09 PM
    Nobody needs a quad core smartphone. What are they going to run that requires 4 cores - a bloody missile command and battle simulator system in your hand? I can picture WOPR held in someone's hand as they laugh manically whilst stroking their feline.
    Most people don't need one. You're right. But they sell and BlackBerry would need to keep up with the competition (HTC One, GSIV, maybe iPhone 5s) if they want to stay relevant.
    Last edited by ajst222; 02-27-13 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typo
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-27-13 07:50 AM
    Can't find it at the moment, but I read some time ago from someone up in BB management that there won't be any low-end BB10 phones this year. People who prefer their Curves -- and to an extent even the 9900 series -- and other 'budget' models will have to stay with those models and legacy BBOS at least for the time being. Those are not the users BB is targeting right now with BB10 anyway.
    02-27-13 07:59 AM
    Most people don't need one. You're right. But they sell and BlackBerry would need to keep up with the competition (HTC One, GSIV, maybe iPhone 5) if they want to stay relevant.
    Sorry, but I can't agree with this. In order to stay relevant, BB just needs to keep existing BB users and attract a modest percentage of iOS and Android users into the fold. There is talk of a super-high-end phone (the Aristo), which they will likely lauch simply to raise the image of the brand and to not cede that market, which they were unable to do with the old BBOS but can do with BB10. That will be a flagship device to show off what the platform is capable of, which is a nice marketing ploy that will certainly help to boost brand image, but no more necessary to secure the future success of the company than the Galaxy Note is to Samsung.
    02-27-13 08:12 AM
    Actually, judging from the standards of the 1980's, WOPR probably only had 128K of RAM so already the Z10 has it beat by a long shot.
    02-27-13 08:24 AM
    And trackball users! And for that matter, scroll wheel users!
    Jiggy1971 and brmiller1976 like this.
    02-27-13 08:36 AM
    The Z10 is about the minimum to run BB10, so don't be expecting a Curve grade/price BB10 device until they can sell the Z10 at that price. They may look to license BB10 out to someone who can make a cheaper phone for emerging markets, but BB10 will likely remain on the high end of pricing for a couple years.
    02-27-13 08:47 AM
    On the BB10 Curve:

BlackBerry: no budget BB10 phones in 2013 | News | TechRadar

On the Aristo ( Can we call it the A10 )

BlackBerry 10 "Aristo" specs leak online: 4.65-inch touchscreen, quad-core, LTE, 2GB RAM | MobileSyrup.com

Bigger screen but same resolution as the Z10 would allow the same Apps ... I think but do not know. Need this device for the Nov Dec buying period.

For the very large markets in Indonesia and Africa they are relying on BB7 devices but can't they come up with a cheap BUT GOOD BB7 touch device that matches the original iPhone or other Androids that are currently running in the same market ? Lastly, can they sell the BB9900 at a lower price point and make a profit ? It is a nice phone . It just needs a new camera and 1500 battery.
    02-27-13 09:15 AM
    The Z10 is about the minimum to run BB10, so don't be expecting a Curve grade/price BB10 device until they can sell the Z10 at that price. They may look to license BB10 out to someone who can make a cheaper phone for emerging markets, but BB10 will likely remain on the high end of pricing for a couple years.
    You have to think of phones in terms of "dog years" ... a couple of years is a long time in the mobile phone industry.
    ajst222 likes this.
    02-27-13 09:17 AM
    Sorry, but I can't agree with this. In order to stay relevant, BB just needs to keep existing BB users and attract a modest percentage of iOS and Android users into the fold. There is talk of a super-high-end phone (the Aristo), which they will likely lauch simply to raise the image of the brand and to not cede that market, which they were unable to do with the old BBOS but can do with BB10. That will be a flagship device to show off what the platform is capable of, which is a nice marketing ploy that will certainly help to boost brand image, but no more necessary to secure the future success of the company than the Galaxy Note is to Samsung.
    The only wasy BlackBerry would stay relevant is if they keep up with the competition. If they keep producing dual core phones when everyone else is making quad core, then we will have a whole BB7 situation all over again. Yes, BlackBerry needs to keep their current userbase, but phones with competitive specs will attract people from other platforms.
    02-27-13 09:35 AM
    if they can bring the bring down the price of the Z10 when the A10 comes out, i might buy one. i have a curve 9360 and would love to stick with blackberry, but the nexus 4 is amazing for the price. id even pay 500 out the door for a Z10 if they brought it down that much.

one can only hope...
    02-27-13 11:19 AM
54 123