The technology:
    Why the iPhone's fingerprint sensor is better than the ones on older laptops

"With the new sensors you don't have to move your finger, just press it against the reader. And like the sensor in the iPhone 5S, the sensors that will be in laptops and keyboards and other phones can detect the ridge and valley pattern of your fingerprint not from the layer of dead skin on the outside of your finger (which a fake finger can easily replicate), but from the living layer of skin under the surface of your finger, using an RF signal. That only works on a live finger; not one that's been severed from your body.
    This will protect you from thieves trying to chop off your finger when they mug you for your phone (assuming they're tech-literate thieves, of course), as well as from people with fake fingers using the fingerprint they lifted from your phone screen."
    09-13-13 10:29 PM
    Say that again when your finger is chopped off and someone has it in a garbage bag along with your iPhone in their pocket. (Update: Okay, this apparently won't work anymore but your average thief probably won't know this.)

But let's say you've fallen asleep around the wrong people and all they have to do is touch your finger to it since complex swiping is no longer required. So long security!

I only advocate finger scanning as an additional layer of security on top of a full password, or at least a PIN/"simple password" to use BlackBerry 10 lingo.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    09-13-13 11:02 PM
    snip...But let's say you've fallen asleep around the wrong people and all they have to do is touch your finger to it since complex swiping is no longer required.
    If you find yourself falling asleep around the wrong people, you have more to worry about than phone security.
    09-13-13 11:25 PM
    If you find yourself falling asleep around the wrong people, you have more to worry about than phone security.
    Yes, let's avoid the issue by insulting who brought it up.

No matter, I'll entertain this: generally you don't know it's the wrong people until they do something to you.

That's just one scenario though. It could just be bad luck and falling into the wrong situation like being too drunk at a bar.

I'm VERY passionate about security and privacy. I don't operate under the "who would" mindset. I operate under the "who could" mentality.

sir.dangerfield likes this.
    09-13-13 11:28 PM
    Yes, let's avoid the issue by insulting who brought it up.
    How was that an insult. You think falling asleep around the wrong people is safe? What make you think you'll even wake up?
    matter, I'll entertain this: generally you don't know it's the wrong people until they do something to you.
    This is true, and if the "wrong people" hold a gun to your head and demand your password, whatcha gonna do?
    That's just one scenario though. It could just be bad luck and falling into the wrong situation like being too drunk at a bar.
    If you're worried about "falling asleep around the wrong people" or being to drunk at a bar to know what is going on around you, you can't be all that serious about security.
    I'm VERY passionate about security and privacy. I don't operate under the "who would" mindset. I operate under the "who could" mentality.
    You should have a security guard with you at all times. The "who would" are the "who could.".
    notfanboy likes this.
    09-13-13 11:38 PM
    Using a fingerprint to unlock a phone is nothing as you leave your print on the screen. Either way, the device won't be as secure as a BlackBerry.

#BBEliteUK. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-14-13 01:13 AM
    Say that again when your finger is chopped off and someone has it in a garbage bag along with your iPhone in their pocket. (Update: Okay, this apparently won't work anymore but your average thief probably won't know this.)
    most thiefs I know HATE chainsawing fingers or hands - it slows down their work, they have to carry huge and loud tools (chainsaws), they have no proven education in massacre, they have to redress theirselfs after every job and their rate of getting the right finger or hand has shown as very poor.

Besides that, most studies on stealing fingers / hands because of having an iPhone 5S shows clearly, that the normal pickpocket thiefs even WAITS, until the fingers / hands of the owner are NOT NEAR the phone he want to steal.

;-)

Chris
    09-14-13 02:53 AM
    Using a fingerprint to unlock a phone is nothing as you leave your print on the screen. Either way, the device won't be as secure as a BlackBerry.
    If you find a way how to fool modern capacity fingerprint scanner - please tell us. Yes, it's possible, but not in 'home usage'. This at first.

At second - this technology is not for DoD, of course. This technology for SOHO and user privacy. About 50% of users does not using passwords because ... entering password everytime is annoying process! Apple fingerprint scanner allow this 50% use security with transparent mode. They will press home button to unlock as before, but they smartphones will be secure!

Second - you have 48 hrs time gap ONLY to fool fingerprint scanner, or until smartphone will be rebooted. Cost to fool this scanner is high and required CLEAN fingerprint. There is security recommendation - do not use main finger as unlock finger (this means do not use big finger, everything else).
    Berry_Pink, tack and Chris Marsch like this.
    09-14-13 03:42 AM
    the new htc one max (their phablet) is also coming out with a capacitive finger print scanner, what will everyone here whos worried about privacy do if this becomes standard on all new devices on all platforms?
    What is Blackberry doing? IPhone fingerprint scanner will start security revolution-htc-one-max-again.jpg
    Chris Marsch and Eric Ton like this.
    09-14-13 06:30 AM
    You really haven't any idea what you are talking about. The capacitive sensor used on the iPhone measures the conductivity differences between the dermis and subdermal layers of the skin. When you find a photocopy, print lifted on tape or any of the other sci-fi nonsense in your imagination that can mimic THAT, get back to us.
    It is still fairly easy to hack. Someone can do it with products they can find at home. That's why fingerprint scanners are never used for high security authentication.

The idea here is mostly for convenience. Convenience doesn't equal security! I hope apple doesn't market this the wrong way and give people a false sense of security

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 06:55 AM
    It is still fairly easy to hack. Someone can do it with products they can find at home. That's why fingerprint scanners are never used for high security authentication.
    Proof? Did you even read about the technology?
    09-14-13 09:09 AM
    Yes. You can use gelatin (like used for sweets or so) for that. Done before and easy if you know how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Fine then. Let's call the Myth Busters to settle this.

Post via CB Z10
    09-14-13 09:27 AM
    Fine then. Let's call the Myth Busters to settle this.

Post via CB Z10
    Yes, it's true, at 2002 someone in Japan fooled capacity scanner, but this is not easy process and required special technologies/skills. Today is 2013, not 2002. Scanner technology improved (scan deep increased). So, looks like, at home usage it may be impossible.

But you have to know - fingerprint scanner IS NOT 100% guarantee protection, this one of authorization method only. Please read this post above.

BTW, most of all locks can be easy opened without key, but you have the lock on your door, yes?

09-14-13 10:19 AM
    I'm understand - there will be exploits at first OS versions, but this exploits will be removed in newest releases.
    09-14-13 10:36 AM
    How was that an insult. You think falling asleep around the wrong people is safe? What make you think you'll even wake up?

This is true, and if the "wrong people" hold a gun to your head and demand your password, whatcha gonna do?
    If you're worried about "falling asleep around the wrong people" or being to drunk at a bar to know what is going on around you, you can't be all that serious about security.

You should have a security guard with you at all times. The "who would" are the "who could.".
    Okay, okay, I digress.

Btw, I don't even drink let alone go to bars or fall asleep or get drunk with the wrong people. I was just creating a seemingly worst case scenario to make a point.

09-14-13 10:44 AM
    Okay, okay, I digress.

Btw, I don't even drink let alone go to bars or fall asleep or get drunk with the wrong people. I was just creating a seemingly worst case scenario to make a point.

OK, Your point is understood, no disrespect intended.

Thanks.
    STV0726 likes this.
    09-14-13 11:31 AM
    the new htc one max (their phablet) is also coming out with a capacitive finger print scanner, what will everyone here whos worried about privacy do if this becomes standard on all new devices on all platforms?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC-One-max-again.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	201525
    Not want or use it, of course.
    BBPandy likes this.
    09-14-13 02:52 PM
    Proof? Did you even read about the technology?
    Dont need proof. It's a nice idea for a minimal of security and it's very convenient. However, the thing is that once someone has your fingerprints and hacked it once, that person has access to everything that you have that opens with your fingerprints. It's not like you can buy new fingers.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 04:06 PM
    Dont need proof. It's a nice idea for a minimal of security and it's very convenient. However, the thing is that once someone has your fingerprints and hacked it once, that person has access to everything that you have that opens with your fingerprints. It's not like you can buy new fingers.
    Wouldn't this rely on making two assumptions:
    1) That all the prints on each finger are identical, and
    2) That an individual uses the same finger for all devices that require a fingerprint for identification.

While the second is probably true in most cases it is not a given. As to the first, the prints on each finger are similar BUT have subtle differences, which is why when one is fingerprinted a full set is taken.
    09-14-13 04:19 PM
    Won't work. In fact, at least in case of the iPhone 5S sensor, it wouldn't even work if you cut off the owner's finger. It recognizes skin resistance and heartbeat and needs to in order to work. So whatever is held against it has to be 'alive'.

Posted via CB10
    Any link for this? I have not heard anything about it detecting "heartbeat" infact I doubt that is true at all

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-14-13 04:26 PM
    Some of you put the weakest, most desperate arguments to call this a bad thing. It cracks me up.

Someone would have to know which finger you use to unlock your phone. 10% chance of choosing right! Now someone will say they will cut off all of your fingers.

I make it a policy not to get trashed and pass out around people I don't know or trust. You have some life lessons to learn if you still do that often.

Come on people, this is a good thing. I cannot believe BB people are sitting on a forum trying to make negative comments about security. That used to be the BB safe harbor on why BB phones were superior. Sad. It is OK to call something on another platform good. Trust me, people will respect you more for having some objectivity and being mature.

Not every feature gets used by all people. Not every feature is valuable to all people. That does not mean you have to call it a bad feature.
    MERCDROID and AlexXF like this.
    09-14-13 05:25 PM
    No problem. You just make claims.
    09-14-13 05:31 PM
    apple relies heavily on marketing

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 05:35 PM
    Look guys, the facts are this:

1) Its a futuristic gimmick, whoever makes it as it's real world applications will be, in fact, pretty pants.
    2) As has been repeated here again and again, it's optional. That means that loads of people will upgrade on the strength of a gimmick they never actually use, either because they don't like it or it doesn't work as they expect it to
    3) For Joe Public there is absolutely no other reason to upgrade their iPhone, as, other than the 64 bit (that's going to be used to force them later, by the way), there's no reason whatsoever other than 'having the next iPhone' to do it.

I think Apple are swiftly approaching critical mass as far as the market is concerned. Matthias's iPhone 5 parody is just one of many indicators of how the market is going.

Very quickly Apple will have to do a BlackBerry and come up with a proper reason to buy the phone, as will Android and Windows shortly. Someone needs to come up with a new KILLER feature as at the minute everyone is there or there abouts to be honest...

Feel it, Swipe it, Love it. BlackBerry Z10...
    09-14-13 05:40 PM
    I was against the marginal upgrades of the 5S at first but then I started thinking. It's all about support for the brand you love as well. If BlackBerry came out with a Q20 I would prob get it or if HTC came out with a One 2 I would get it probably because their awesome phones with even better upgrades and I love the phones.

Sent From Q10/HTC One
    09-14-13 07:12 PM
107 12345