09-11-13 09:46 PM
    09-11-13 09:57 PM
    Yawn, retinal scanning is where it's at. Besides, having a biometric your buddies can hack after you've had too many wobbly pops doesn't a secure device make. Does Apple validate their supply chain for security I wonder?
    09-11-13 10:08 PM
    Didn't Android have it before Apple?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 11:37 PM
    I wonder how well it works. Optical biometric scanners can be tricked fairly easily, and the iPhone's scanner area is smaller than any adult finger.
    09-11-13 11:51 PM
    Yea it's security should be fine as long as the criminals don't have access to any candy...oh wait
    09-11-13 11:58 PM
    Didn't Android have it before Apple?

Posted via CB10
    Motorola�s Atrix 4G in 2011

Also BlackBerry did something with fingerprint scanners in 2004 & patented having the trackpad scan your finger in 2009
    09-11-13 11:59 PM
    Nothing is gonna come out of this.
    09-12-13 12:24 AM
    maybe this one: Touch ID is not about security alone, it�s all about CONVENIENCE - to be clearer: combining different technologies to achieve the best level of user friendliness, convenience and security ( in this case ) - and I hate tipping in passwords, the longer the more and will definitely love any possibility, to have the same ( or even higher ) level of protection in an easy way. If this Touch ID thing works, what have to be proven first, than definitely this is a game changer in meaning of user friendliness...
    09-12-13 06:40 AM
    BlackBerry is doing nothing but trying to survive.

Posted from my ZED10
    kbz1960, AlexXF, devin266 and 1 others like this.
    09-12-13 06:41 AM
    BlackBerry is doing nothing but trying to survive.

Posted from my ZED10
    I�m pretty sure that AuthenTec, the company behind the Touch ID Sensor technology allthough ask RIM for a bid about the sale of their company.
    09-12-13 06:44 AM
    If the z10 and q10 had this feature first I don't think things would be much different than they are now.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:48 AM
    Wait....i though security wasn't important?

A mobility company like Apple pushing security on their mobile is truly revolutionary. Why didn't we think of that?? LOL

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-12-13 06:50 AM
    Not sure if it is really secure:
    You find the fingerprints all over the phone's screen and back. And to take/copy a fingerprint from there is doable for a child.

I think this fingerprint thing is like writing your code on the phone's lock screen...

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 06:52 AM
    ^THIS

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 07:04 AM
    Yawn, retinal scanning is where it's at. Besides, having a biometric your buddies can hack after you've had too many wobbly pops doesn't a secure device make. Does Apple validate their supply chain for security I wonder?
    I want Blackberry come out and say it is easy to hack. We have something better.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    09-12-13 02:43 PM
    Not sure if it is really secure:
    You find the fingerprints all over the phone's screen and back. And to take/copy a fingerprint from there is doable for a child.
    You really haven't any idea what you are talking about. The capacitive sensor used on the iPhone measures the conductivity differences between the dermis and subdermal layers of the skin. When you find a photocopy, print lifted on tape or any of the other sci-fi nonsense in your imagination that can mimic THAT, get back to us.
    boeingrules, devin266 and Eric Ton like this.
    09-12-13 03:04 PM
    For sure ALL will try to compromise Touch ID when iPhone 5S will be available - try it with the stupid suggestions in this thread and publish your success on CB...
    09-12-13 03:09 PM
    You really haven't any idea what you are talking about. The capacitive sensor used on the iPhone measures the conductivity differences between the dermis and subdermal layers of the skin. When you find a photocopy, print lifted on tape or any of the other sci-fi nonsense in your imagination that can mimic THAT, get back to us.
    Yes. You can use gelatin (like used for sweets or so) for that. Done before and easy if you know how to do it.

Posted via CB10
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    09-12-13 03:12 PM
    I haven't read anything about how this fingerprint information will be stored on the phone. On my ThinkPad, I'm presuming that it uses the TPM in some way to secure that information, but on the iPhone, how are they going to secure it?

It is odd that BlackBerry never bothered putting this on their phones. I guess fingerprint identity verification never really became secure enough. It's one of my favorite features on my ThinkPad.

Regarding forging fingerprints, I'm sure technologies have improved, but Myth busters did an episode where they defeated an optical fingerprint scanner:
    09-12-13 03:17 PM
    It is odd that BlackBerry never bothered putting this on their phones. I guess fingerprint identity verification never really became secure enough. It's one of my favorite features on my ThinkPad.
    Password protected bios is better. Funny how over the years you see people come in wanted it cracked. AKA stolen..I remember one time it had property of coke and this shady kid no way worked for them. Said he got it from an auction from Coke, funny thing was it was a month old.

Right..........
    09-12-13 03:21 PM
    just think of needing to take your glove off in the cold weather to do a finger print.
    How about those who may have sweaty hands will it work without a wipe.
    And how about those of us who from time to time do manual work like brickwork, it wears the finger print off.
    No I'm not a burglar
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    09-12-13 03:21 PM
    Just wondering, with the removal of the trackpad where would you even put a fingerprint scanner :P
    09-12-13 03:24 PM
    LOL. So the consensus in this thread is:

• BlackBerry already patented the idea
    • it's easy to defeat anyway (since EVERYBODY carries gelatin)
    • it sucks, especially in the winter

Good stuff people. Keep 'em coming...
    09-12-13 03:30 PM
    just think of needing to take your glove off in the cold weather to do a finger print.
    How about those who may have sweaty hands will it work without a wipe.
    And how about those of us who from time to time do manual work like brickwork, it wears the finger print off.
    No I'm not a burglar
    what about ppl with no finger? or fake hand? so then don't use it if its not for you. let me know how you swipe your z10 with glove on. maybe z10 shoudl had just stick with all physical keyboard and no touchscreen. you know, its tough to use touchscreen in the winter with glove on. don't link me to some specialized glove from northface either that majority of ppl don't own.
    tack likes this.
    09-12-13 03:34 PM
107 123 ...