Hey,
    I own the Keyone Black, Priv and the Touch Bold 9900 (with BIS).
    Is it possible to connect the Keyone to the Blackberry Internet Services?
    What benefits does the BIS offer to me as a normal user - non enterprise? as far as I know, the BIS isn't encrypted while the BES does.

How it goes when in roaming? if i remember right, a friend with an old BB said to me that she can roam anywhere and she wont pay a thing because she is connected to the BIS and is offer her free internet worldwide, is it due to the carrier contract or the BIS advantages?
    Thanks
    05-10-18 01:53 PM
    BIS hasn't been used since BBOS and is no longer relevant. You can read this old article for a break down. - https://crackberry.com/blackberry-10...ats-difference

As for..

How it goes when in roaming? if i remember right, a friend with an old BB said to me that she can roam anywhere and she wont pay a thing because she is connected to the BIS and is offer her free internet worldwide, is it due to the carrier contract or the BIS advantages?
    Thanks
    That's not entirely true as it would have depended on carrier and such but the larger point they were trying to make is that they paid less for roaming at the time because the data used was less because BIS compressed files so heavily. eg: A 10MB file could be compressed down to 3MB as an example.
    05-10-18 01:55 PM
    BIS hasn't been used since BBOS and is no longer relevant. You can read this old article for a break down. - https://crackberry.com/blackberry-10...ats-difference

As for..

That's not entirely true as it would have depended on carrier and such but the larger point they were trying to make is that they paid less for roaming at the time because the data used was less because BIS compressed files so heavily. eg: A 10MB file could be compressed down to 3MB as an example.
    so will it work with BB android? ill be happy to save my data not only while roaming.
    where can i find my keyone pin number (not the BBM pin)?
    05-10-18 02:11 PM
    so will it work with BB android? ill be happy to save my data not only while roaming.
    where can i find my keyone pin number (not the BBM pin)?
    As I said, no longer relevant. BIS hasn't been used since BBOS. Data is just... data on BlackBerry Android.
    05-10-18 02:13 PM
    sorry i jumped to the end of your comment, Thanks!
    05-10-18 02:18 PM
    BIS was a direct line from the old BBOS phone through the carrier to the BlackBerry Network Operations Centers (NOC), then out to the world. It was designed around the 2G and then 3G networks. Some claimed the BIS wouldn't work on LTE, but since BlackBerry was done with BBOS phones and moved to BB10 around the time LTE became widespread, we don't really know.

Also, that long compressed trip to Waterloo (or other NOCs set up in other countries around the world) before getting out into the web caused for some really slow browsing and nearly impossible video streaming.

BIS was also directly tied to the BlackBerry BBOS phone. Only BlackBerry phones could use the protocol. Back in the day people did use the BIS enabled SIM in other phones such as an android phone, but it would only access the regular mobile data of the carrier, and skip the BIS line.

So, no, BIS will never work an any other non-BBOS phone... that is, any BlackBerry phone running BBOS 7.1 or older.
    05-10-18 02:40 PM
    At one time tricking out Android phones to operate on a BIS plan was not uncommon in Nigeria or South Africa.
    http://www.nairaland.com/951396/how-...s-plan-android
    05-10-18 04:19 PM
    BIS was a direct line from the old BBOS phone through the carrier to the BlackBerry Network Operations Centers (NOC), then out to the world. It was designed around the 2G and then 3G networks. Some claimed the BIS wouldn't work on LTE, but since BlackBerry was done with BBOS phones and moved to BB10 around the time LTE became widespread, we don't really know.

Also, that long compressed trip to Waterloo (or other NOCs set up in other countries around the world) before getting out into the web caused for some really slow browsing and nearly impossible video streaming.

BIS was also directly tied to the BlackBerry BBOS phone. Only BlackBerry phones could use the protocol. Back in the day people did use the BIS enabled SIM in other phones such as an android phone, but it would only access the regular mobile data of the carrier, and skip the BIS line.

So, no, BIS will never work an any other non-BBOS phone... that is, any BlackBerry phone running BBOS 7.1 or older.
    I thought it was more that with 3g and then LTE you no longer needed BIS because larger data blocks weren't as big of a problem, and you no longer needed the compression. On 2g and prior data was slow unless you had a BB with BIS. When the networks improved BIS became irrelevant. .
    05-10-18 06:29 PM
    I thought it was more that with 3g and then LTE you no longer needed BIS because larger data blocks weren't as big of a problem, and you no longer needed the compression. On 2g and prior data was slow unless you had a BB with BIS. When the networks improved BIS became irrelevant. .
    Quite likely that was the case. On my old Pearl 8100, it certainly seemed pretty fast on EDGE (2G), but data just wasn't as media heavy as it is now, and either way, video was virtually impossible. Mainly because it's trying to compress an already compressed format. I remember there were some BBOS browser apps that tried to compensate for video, but it never worked for me. The Torch 9800 I had next was better with 3G, but it also had wi-fi which took the load off the mobile data.
    05-10-18 06:51 PM
    Quite likely that was the case. On my old Pearl 8100, it certainly seemed pretty fast on EDGE (2G), but data just wasn't as media heavy as it is now, and either way, video was virtually impossible. Mainly because it's trying to compress an already compressed format. I remember there were some BBOS browser apps that tried to compensate for video, but it never worked for me. The Torch 9800 I had next was better with 3G, but it also had wi-fi which took the load off the mobile data.
    Back when BIS was designed, 2G data networks were the standard, and web pages were rarely optimized for the desktop, much less for mobile. Lots of the data being moved around was uncompressed - and using BIS to compress it before moving through those tiny 2G data pipes made tons of sense.

But BIS couldn't really keep up with 3G speeds, and increasingly, more and more of the data being transferred over mobile data connections was already compressed - and using newer and more efficient compression schemes - such that BIS's compression could hurt more than it could help, and it slowed the flow of the data as it tried. The situation only got worse with 4G/LTE and the ever-larger increase of video viewing, music streaming, and so on. All of that data is already compressed as much as it can be, and compared to the size of the data pipe, the gains made compressing a handful of emails is nothing.

Effectively, mobile data networks, and users' mobile usage habits, completely evolved past the need or usefulness of BIS. BIS was a solution to 1999's problems - and a great one - but it's no longer 1999.

The fact that BB charged the carriers big bucks also motivated carriers to obsolete BIS (largely by upgrading their network technology, which they were doing already) so they could stop paying BB those Service Access Fees (SAFs), which is where BB made almost all of its money. BB never really made any significant profits selling phones - selling phones merely enabled BB to charge for the SAFs, until the carriers didn't need BIS anymore.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-11-18 02:26 PM
    And yet here it is 2018 and you can still find BIS Plans available, and many cases they don't even charge you more for them now.

But then I don't think any expected users to want to use a BBOS devices this long. 2019 is probable a good time for it's end.
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-11-18 03:31 PM
    BIS only still exists because there are still a few big/important/well-connected companies who haven't fully migrated off of BBOS yet. The carriers don't care about individuals, really, but a company who can stop paying on 20,000 phone plans at once will get their attention.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-12-18 01:47 AM