06-18-10 07:21 PM
33 12
tools
    Maybe I am missing something but what is the big deal about a front facing camera? the only reason i can see to having a front facing camera would be for taking photos of my self or the possibility of skype calls or something of the sort.. And if that is the only main reasons is there a big enough demand just for that. I mean we have been taking pictures of ourselves with out looking through the camera hole/screen for years.
    06-17-10 03:24 AM
    It's all about video chat/teleconferencing.
    06-17-10 03:31 AM
    I'd have no use for it. I think kids like that kind of thing though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-10 03:31 AM
    Sexting teens, definitely. It's a part of the so called "video-chat" craze that has actually been around for quite some time and has never really taken off or reached the mainstream. That's the only reason for it, really... As for self-portraits, like I mentioned in another thread, stick a mirror on the battery door if it's that important, or get a Pearl which has a little mirror on the back. Hey, why not? The quality would be better than using the mini-camera on the front.
    06-17-10 03:37 AM
    That all i could think of it as well was for the video conferencing. Good feature but how many of us really need to leave blackberry to the iphone just for that. I know a lot of corporate executives that keep their phone on mute during a teleconference anyway.. I am sure they don't want everyone seeing them roll their eyes during the meeting.. lol.

I would rather have my full day plus of battery than a 6 hr android/iphone. Although I have to say the other phones are very solid I just can't carry a charger around all day.

I see a lot of post about the blackberry being behind times. I just see it all as personal preference.
    06-17-10 03:38 AM
    Maybe I am missing something but what is the big deal about a front facing camera? the only reason i can see to having a front facing camera would be ...
    The phone networks are promoting dual camera devices for three very important purposes

1. To prevent liars phoning home from the other office... erm... strip club.
    2. To discourage taking or making calls from embarrassing locations like the bathroom, or still horizontal in your bed at 10am when the boss phones to finnd out where you are.

And finally, the most important reason...
    3. To promote the use of even more data, pushing the unsuspecting user closer to highly profitable penalty rates on the new capped data plans.
    06-17-10 06:19 AM
    I'd have no use for it. It would be good for those that are in long distance relationships, or have loved ones they don't see often.
    Cool feature, but not for me at the time.

06-17-10 06:45 AM
    I use video chat (via Skype, Yahoo Messenger...) quite often.

When my daughter was stationed in Iraq, it was a great way for us to not only keep in touch, it gave her a little bit more of being back with family.

I video chat with out-of-town clients so that the meetings are more personal. I can show off product and see if they are interested in my services (hard to tell just by voice).

I get to watch my neice and nephew growing up from across the country.

Granted, I do this all from my laptop, and would probably continue to do so, but having a way to video chat anywhere (I would never know when my daughter in Iraq would be able to call) would be a nice feature.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-17-10 08:23 AM
    Video chat would own me so hard right now, so HARD!
    06-17-10 08:39 AM
    I have no need or want for it. I don't need people seeing that I'm disinterested in their babble.
    06-17-10 09:04 AM
    I would never in a million years use anything like that, but whats not to understand? Its called $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

All part of the "wow factor".
    06-17-10 09:42 AM
    It's a nice plus, but certainly not a critical feature for me.
    06-17-10 09:56 AM
    I guess it may be nice to have for video chat, but i would use my laptop for that anyways.
    06-17-10 10:10 AM
    I could care less about a front facing camera. I'd never use it. I mean, I barely even use half of my phones features on a daily basis.
    06-17-10 10:13 AM
    The only way you'll be able to use that feature would be if you have a headset on constantly or you're in a private place. I doubt anybody would take a videocall when walking down the street or cooking, driving, or any other activity. Some mobile phones had this feature for a long time now, 3 mobile uk have introduced this a few years ago. Never took off. Turns out people like their privacy who would've thought it

06-17-10 11:01 AM
    Both parties would need to be connected to a WiFi network in order for it to work. How often will that happen?

06-17-10 11:03 AM
    Nice feature, but I wouldn't switch my phone just for that reason.
    06-17-10 11:40 AM
    The phone networks are promoting dual camera devices for three very important purposes

1. To prevent liars phoning home from the other office... erm... strip club.
    2. To discourage taking or making calls from embarrassing locations like the bathroom, or still horizontal in your bed at 10am when the boss phones to finnd out where you are.

And finally, the most important reason...
    3. To promote the use of even more data, pushing the unsuspecting user closer to highly profitable penalty rates on the new capped data plans.
    How much you want to bet points 1 and 2 would not discourage me in the slightest?
    06-17-10 12:37 PM
    The only way you'll be able to use that feature would be if you have a headset on constantly or you're in a private place. I doubt anybody would take a videocall when walking down the street or cooking, driving, or any other activity. Some mobile phones had this feature for a long time now, 3 mobile uk have introduced this a few years ago. Never took off. Turns out people like their privacy who would've thought it

Exactly! Or the kids will like it and I can see the whole webcam showing off your private parts and cyber sex going on.
    06-17-10 04:46 PM
    Just because you don't need a feature doesn't make it "stupid" or "useless" does it, NO. If you don't need it you shouldn't care.

Just like some with a non smartphone saying BB's are stupid and pointless.

I don't get some of you on here, its almost like your jealous but instead show it through putting things down.

06-17-10 10:15 PM
  21. T
    I use video chat on my laptop extensively every day. I would love to see it as a feature for BlackBerry, but I wouldn't switch to another brand device just to obtain that feature.
    06-17-10 10:31 PM
    I think the front facing cam for video chat would be great! Its not a desire of mine but if RIM threw one on a berry I'd use it

06-18-10 01:01 AM
    I think it's a pretty good idea, why not? If you dont like it, dont use it, but it would be nice to have that option.
    06-18-10 12:53 PM
    I'm not sure how this is gonna work on the iphone but as far as I can remember from 3 mobile you'd have to buy separate minutes for this service, it was in no way free and I doubt it's gonna be free now. Could be wrong. What exactly is apple offering? Is it going to work for free trough data?

06-18-10 01:19 PM
    I could care less about a front facing camera. I'd never use it. I mean, I barely even use half of my phones features on a daily basis.
    Ditto for me.
    06-18-10 04:24 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD