I am getting a replacement BB for my 8900.

Note that my scroll ball won't go down.

I want to wipe my BB before I send it back because there are some bookmarks that are sensitive (I use to check to money earned online)

What is my best option since I can not scroll down so it is pretty impossible to do this anything from my device.
    05-12-10 08:04 PM
    Download BBSAK on your PC and use it to wipe your device.
    05-12-10 08:08 PM
    BBSAK works.
    and then maybe do a restore but exclude the bookmarks and all other sensitive areas.
    05-12-10 08:19 PM
    Reminds me of the time, about 20 years ago, when I was on a date. I was driving an old, restored Benz (1959) and it worked great. I had planned to wash the car before my date, but time got away from me. So, I picked her up and asked if she minded if I pulled in to a car wash for a few minutes. She was fine with that, so in we went. It was one of those converted grarages: pull in, let the sprayers and stuff swoop around you, then back out and off you go. No biggie, right?

Well, we sat there as the sprayers and heavy felt strips swooshed around and around and around and around and.....you get the idea. Finally, I looked to her and said "this is taking a LONG time...!" She agreed and we waited several more minutes. When there appeared to be no end to this, I honked my horn to catch the attendant's attention. He heard me, came over and started hitting switches and buttons and then shouted above the din "IT WON'T TURN OFF, BACK OUT!!" No problem, right? WRONG. I started the car and put it in reverse, only to discover I HAD no reverse!!! Ha!! I explained the problem to my date and we both laughed at the insanity of the whole thing. Finally, with no other choice, I put the car in neutral and, waiting for just the right moment and hopped out, dodging brushes and sprayers until I got outside. I was soaked, with soap and foam running down all over my nice, dress clothes. I had to shoot back in with a rope that had a hook on it and the attendant and I pulled the car back out.

When you need things the most, is when they fail! Good luck with this. I would think simply plugging in to your computer and using DM, you could just reinstall the OS which would delete all your bookmarks.
    05-12-10 08:20 PM
    Menu - options - security options - general options - menu - wipe handheld. Make sure you do a backup before this. Doing this will put the device into a 'factory shipped' state'....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 03:40 AM
    BBSAK is probably the best option, but will leave the device at the Error 507 screen unless you install an OS. Getting to security wipe might be a problem with no scrolling. If you have a password set you could always type it in wrong 10 times and that will do the same as a security wipe.
    05-13-10 03:52 AM
    I am getting a replacement BB for my 8900.

Note that my scroll ball won't go down.

I want to wipe my BB before I send it back because there are some bookmarks that are sensitive (I use to check to money earned online)

What is my best option since I can not scroll down so it is pretty impossible to do this anything from my device.
    I called my provider, witch was Verizon, And they waled me through it. So call your provider and they should be able to help you.
    05-13-10 04:09 AM
    Walked. They walked me through it. I am sorry for the miss spelling.
    05-13-10 04:11 AM
    You can do it right from the phone..options>security options>security wipe. It's as easy as that. However, you should perform a backup 1st using desktop manager.

05-13-10 06:47 AM
    You can do it right from the phone..options>security options>security wipe. It's as easy as that. However, you should perform a backup 1st using desktop manager.

I'm not familiar with the 8900, is there a keyboard only way of scrolling though menus the OP can use since the trackball is dead?
    05-13-10 11:49 AM
    I'm not familiar with the 8900, is there a keyboard only way of scrolling though menus the OP can use since the trackball is dead?
    From what I know there isn't so this option is useless to me because I can not get to that settings menu.

I guess I will have to call and see what the Blackberry department says is my best option.
    05-13-10 12:10 PM
    Settings --> Security Options --> General Settings --> press the Blackberry Button to open menu--> Wipe Handheld

Just use the Enter key where you would have clicked the trackball.
    05-13-10 12:44 PM
    From what I know there isn't so this option is useless to me because I can not get to that settings menu.

I guess I will have to call and see what the Blackberry department says is my best option.
    You can try typing the first letter of the menu options on the keyboard. I don't know if it's device or os related, but I can type 's' twice to get to Security Options. (The first 's' brings me to Screen/Keyboard.)

05-13-10 12:47 PM
    That was the very first thing I thought of, but doesn't that require he "scroll down" (as it does on my Storm 2)?

Menu - options - security options - general options - menu - wipe handheld. Make sure you do a backup before this. Doing this will put the device into a 'factory shipped' state'....

05-13-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD