Wow!!! So glad that I asked!! I had no idea that the unit would run faster over WiFi.

Question...when I try to enable WiFi in my own home, it picks up my home locked router and then tells me that I have to enter a PIN number that it gives me...should I do this? Will this affect the other computers in my house as this is not the Regular password#? To use the internet using WiFi do I simply log into a Wifi network but still go in through the BB browser or another browser? Is there any way to know that it is using the WiFi network as opposed to the 3G network?

Also...great info re: international roaming rates.

Thanks all.
    Yes enter your router key (WEP whatever) and let it connect, but what you are describing is almost like a WIN homegroup pin or something, you want to go right thru the router. Upper right corner of the BB will show 3G bars and wifi if it is there and the router name will be in the center of the top bar. Checking Status will also tell you where you are.
    09-02-10 09:50 PM
    Yes enter your router key (WEP whatever) and let it connect, but what you are describing is almost like a WIN homegroup pin or something, you want to go right thru the router. Upper right corner of the BB will show 3G bars and wifi if it is there and the router name will be in the center of the top bar. Checking Status will also tell you where you are.
    Even when using the WEP it is still going to have you put in a device generated pin in the router's settings. I could never get it to save. The only way I got mine to work was what I mentioned earlier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 11:12 PM
    VZW offers unlimited data at this point. However, for folks who do not have unlimited data plans, Wi-Fi is beneficial since it does not consume data on their carrier's plan.
    09-02-10 11:17 PM
    I know I have unlimited data. But, I prefer wifi when available.

09-02-10 11:22 PM
    I have the vzw nationwide +Mexico plan. No data in Mexico...just phone calls.

I am currently in Mexico and can use wifi at the hotel to get email, browse, and bbm.

09-03-10 06:40 AM
    Even when using the WEP it is still going to have you put in a device generated pin in the router's settings. I could never get it to save. The only way I got mine to work was what I mentioned earlier.

Got ya. I did not use that set-up on either my work or home router so was clueless about how it worked. The auto set-up was too tricky and actually harder on one of the routers so I did it manually. All I did was home to BB ID the network enter my WEP key and that was it. Has anyone used that new CISCO Valet router, supposedly the easiest to set up....
    09-03-10 07:20 AM
    You CAN Verizon/Sprint people make calls and surf the web with Wifi on! Just to clear the air (-:

09-03-10 09:28 PM
    You CAN Verizon/Sprint people make calls and surf the web with Wifi on! Just to clear the air (-:

Oh? And how do you make calls with WiFi on a 9650?
    09-03-10 09:35 PM
    Oh? And how do you make calls with WiFi on a 9650?
    Easy, the phone uses the wi fi connection for data while your on a call. I do it all the time. I'm talking about web and talk at the same time.

09-04-10 02:55 AM
    I have mine set as WiFi preferred. That way if there is WiFi it will connect and run both the internet and calls via WiFi. Yes over WiFi the battery consumption is greater, however the download speeds are incredible. Also a very handy tool if you live somewhere where the reception is limited, my home network is bascially the way all my calls from home work.
    How do you set the device to WiFi preferred?

09-04-10 08:43 AM
    Thank you...but I'm so confused. The BB is telling me to enter a # into my router but there is no place to enter a # into my actual router. Are they telling me to enter a number somewhere into the settings for WiFi on my home computer? I just do not see anywhere to place numbers on my router. I guess I'm asking...where do I enter that #? Thanks.
    09-04-10 08:58 AM

Question...when I try to enable WiFi in my own home, it picks up my home locked router and then tells me that I have to enter a PIN number that it gives me...should I do this?
    Thanks all.
    I had to log into the router by typing the IP address into my browser (see your router manual). I have a D-Link router so I went to the Wireless Settings tab, scrolled to "Add Wireless Device WITH WPS (WI-FI PROTECTED SETUP) Wizard", clicked the link and followed the instructions to enter the pin. My Bold connected without me having to enter the router password. I hope this helps....Oh and it didn't affect the other devices on my network.
    09-04-10 07:45 PM
    I had to log into the router by typing the IP address into my browser (see your router manual). I have a D-Link router so I went to the Wireless Settings tab, scrolled to "Add Wireless Device WITH WPS (WI-FI PROTECTED SETUP) Wizard", clicked the link and followed the instructions to enter the pin. My Bold connected without me having to enter the router password. I hope this helps....Oh and it didn't affect the other devices on my network.
    Thank you Soror I will try this....
    09-05-10 12:16 AM
    Let me know if you need more help Soror *hugs*
    09-05-10 11:27 AM
    Hi,

Just wanted to follow-up and tell you what finally worked for me. I'm not as computer savy as most of you. I was never able to figure out how to add the code in my computer for the router to make my BB give me wireless from my home router. However, I saw that when I went to Set-Up Wi-Fi Connection...there was another option called "Push Button Setup." I was then taken to the next screen that said that if I had a Wireless Protected Set-Up (WPS) router to simply press the WPS button. Well..lo and behold I looked at my Belkin router and there was a button that said "WPS". I pushed it, my BB started searching and within a few minutes I had connected my home router to my BB!! Yeah!!! I now have wireless in my home on my BB. Can't believe that it was THAT simple!!

BTW...I have also discovered the joys of wireless...

Thank you all for your help.
    Last edited by classc1; 09-12-10 at 04:59 PM.
    09-12-10 04:56 PM
    Convenience is the main benefit of WiFi. By using WiFi technology it easy and effective to let people physically go wherever they need to go. Phone will work just as well in India as it does in Indiana and calls will cost the same amount.
    09-13-10 03:54 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD