Hi,

When selecting this phone I was really excited to have WiFi...now it just occurred to me...what exactly is the benefit? I have rarely been anywhere where I could not get internet service on the Verizon network. Am I missing something? Also...does it run the battery down to keep the WiFi on? Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 12:50 PM
    I leave mine off as I seldom need it, like you say the verizon network is pretty fast anyway. However, sometimes I have been in isolated areas of no signal,rarely, rural hotels and such where they have wireless wifi and I find it useful then. I've heard many leave it enabled with no ill battery effects. There will be times when you are glad to have it.

Also: when downloading files that may be a bit large wifi can come in handy for faster D/L.
    09-02-10 12:58 PM
    WIFI is faster if you have a good router for internet use. You can talk on the phone and use the internet as well with WIFI on.
    09-02-10 01:09 PM
    WIFI is faster if you have a good router for internet use. You can talk on the phone and use the internet as well with WIFI on.
    Your calls don't go through WiFi though with Verizon and the 9650. That would be UMA, available from T-Mobile on the 9700.

WiFi does make browsing faster though.
    09-02-10 01:15 PM
    Think he just means it enables simulatenous voice + data on cdma.
    09-02-10 01:17 PM
    Your calls don't go through WiFi though with Verizon and the 9650. That would be UMA, available from T-Mobile on the 9700.

WiFi does make browsing faster though.
    They didn't say you could. They said you can talk on the voice (mobile network) and browse the web (wifi) at the same time.

edit: +1 browsing is faster
    09-02-10 01:17 PM
    Wi-Fi makes browsing faster, and is a life saver for when you're in buildings with crappy cell reception (like my house and some buildings in college) plus browsing the web with it (even with the mobile connection on) saves battery life as well since the wi-fi radio uses less battery power than the EVDO one.

Talking and surfing is also nice

And for International Roaming, Wi-Fi gives you a very cheap alternative to international data roaming. (you can browse the web, receive e-mail etc at any wi-fi hotspot)
    09-02-10 01:18 PM
    It's faster and occasionally you will have wifi access and no 3G service. Better to load apps or upgrade things as it is quicker and more reliable. Service at my house is spotty so Wifi is a life saver for me to check e-mail w/o dragging out the netbook. I suppose if you had a data plan with limits it would also be a big help to download over wifi.
    09-02-10 01:19 PM
    Just clarifying for those who didn't know.. The way it was worded it sounded like he was saying you can do both browse the web and make calls with WiFi.
    09-02-10 01:20 PM
    Just clarifying for those who didn't know.. The way it was worded it sounded like he was saying you can do both browse the web and make calls with WiFi.
    I made it very clear in my first post what I meant. With WIFI turned on, you can make a call using your carrier and browse the web at the same time.

09-02-10 02:18 PM
    I keep my wifi on at all times. When it connects i use it.

It works a lot faster then network. Tons of apps run way better on wifi then CDMA. Even with full signal.
    09-02-10 03:14 PM
    +1 I don't get the point of turning it off. I leave GPS on too, the only I don't leave on is BT, as that one does drain the battery.
    09-02-10 03:17 PM
    +1 I don't get the point of turning it off
    For some reason the grayed out symbol annoys me. SmartWiFi has solved that problem though.
    09-02-10 03:18 PM
    For some reason the grayed out symbol annoys me. SmartWiFi has solved that problem though.
    I recall reading smartwifi causing other issues. Camera reboot, I think.
    09-02-10 03:20 PM
    I have mine set as WiFi preferred. That way if there is WiFi it will connect and run both the internet and calls via WiFi. Yes over WiFi the battery consumption is greater, however the download speeds are incredible. Also a very handy tool if you live somewhere where the reception is limited, my home network is bascially the way all my calls from home work.
    09-02-10 03:24 PM
    Yes but you are on T-Mobile. Confusing to the other users..........
    09-02-10 03:26 PM
    I am soooooo missing my wifi today as something is wrong with my home internet.

09-02-10 03:33 PM
    Ive been using Smartwifi for a long while now without any problems
    09-02-10 03:40 PM
    Ive been using Smartwifi for a long while now without any problems
    I have no problems either.

09-02-10 03:45 PM
    Hmm...that might explain my camera reboot issue. Happens very rarely, so it's not worth uninstalling the app over it.
    09-02-10 04:22 PM

It works a lot faster then network. Tons of apps run way better on wifi then CDMA. Even with full signal.
    My 9650 gets awesome battery life on Wi-Fi, it's takes more battery to pull data over 3G, than Wi-Fi. I suggest to everyone with a Wi-Fi capable BlackBerry to use it...
    09-02-10 04:41 PM
    Wow!!! So glad that I asked!! I had no idea that the unit would run faster over WiFi.

Question...when I try to enable WiFi in my own home, it picks up my home locked router and then tells me that I have to enter a PIN number that it gives me...should I do this? Will this affect the other computers in my house as this is not the Regular password#? To use the internet using WiFi do I simply log into a Wifi network but still go in through the BB browser or another browser? Is there any way to know that it is using the WiFi network as opposed to the 3G network?

Also...great info re: international roaming rates.

Thanks all.
    09-02-10 07:26 PM
    I made it very clear in my first post what I meant. With WIFI turned on, you can make a call using your carrier and browse the web at the same time.

This may be a stupid question but I am assuming that this means that you can talk on speakerphone and use the net...right? Thanks.
    09-02-10 07:29 PM
    This may be a stupid question but I am assuming that this means that you can talk on speakerphone and use the net...right? Thanks.
    Yes, I do all the time.

I had to do the push button set-up. There is a button on my router.

09-02-10 09:13 PM
    If you're in a place with kinda crappy cell reception but great wifi signal (my apartment -1 bar) your battery lasts longer on wifi. That or I'm crazy.
    09-02-10 09:18 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD