06-21-10 03:02 PM
190 ... 23456 ...
tools
    My 7 year old is fascinated with my Curve, as well as the Ipod, XM Radio and all my other gadgets. Seems like he just likes expensive toys, he is a technophile just like his old man. However, he's not getting a BB until he can pay for it himself as well as the plan that goes with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 09:01 PM
    12 sounds like a great age.. start texting with those girls
    Your son will NOT text, call or email my daughter EVER! LMAO
    05-14-08 09:16 PM
    i have no kids
    05-14-08 09:18 PM
    I also forgot- I do many sports and clubs at school, and I'm almost NEVER at home- so it really helps with letting my parents know where I am. Just a txt or call away!

A responsible young adult. GREAT JOB Hutch!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by cutdacheck2003; 05-15-08 at 07:47 AM.
    05-14-08 09:21 PM
    As soon as he gets a job and buys one.
    Any age once there are parental locks on them.
    05-14-08 09:24 PM
    Cell phones are one thing, and I don't see a problem with a 13 or 14 year old having a regular RAZR or other LG/Motorola/Samsung phone, but a BlackBerry? NO KID in middle or high school needs a BlackBerry, and I think anyone arguing that is kidding themselves. College is the absolute earliest anyone should have a BlackBerry/iPhone/Palm etc. No 13-17 year old gets enough e-mails (nor makes enough money) to warrant such a purchase. I also agree that the kid should have to pay for it themselves.
    05-14-08 09:36 PM
    I'm loving all the responses! Thought you would be interested to know my grandson brought back the Pearl and took his cell phone back. It wasn't as much fun as he thought it would be since it was bigger and heavier than his smalll flip phone. As for kids having cell phones, I bought my grandson his because his parents are divorced and when he went to see his dad (who didn't have a phone) this was his only way of communicating with us and our only way of checking on him. It was quite interesting to see all the calls my grandson made during the night trying to find his dad when he was suppose to be with his dad! Another use for the cell phone!!
    05-15-08 12:09 AM
    With the introduction of BlackBerry Unite and all of the features that will be useful for families, I would not be against getting my 13 year old one so that I can control internet usage, phone usage, and keep up on her schedule for school while she's with her mom.

P.S. She already has a cell phone (Rumor) and has been very responsible with it.

05-15-08 12:26 AM
    I guess it depends on who's in charge. If your kids are in charge, as soon as they punk you into getting them one. If you're in charge they'll know better than to even ask until they can pay for it themselves. It's simple. I can't believe this question even came up.
    05-15-08 01:21 AM
    I think age is less important than whether the child has a legitimate need and is responsible enough to take care of it.

I would not have an issue with giving a child a Blackberry, but it probably would not have all the bells and whistles turned on right from the start. Depending on the circumstances I would probably start with no data plan and a prepaid voice plan. Let the kid learn how to manage the minutes before ever moving up to plan where going over means nasty bills instead of service just being cut off because the pot-o-minutes ran dry. Maybe add an unlimited data plan later if there was a good reason. Otherwise let the kid use it as a PDA and sync it with Outlook.
    05-15-08 11:22 AM
    I will never give any BB to my kids!!!
    05-15-08 11:28 AM
    Enrich2u,

Are you worried that we will be contributing to the delinquency of a minor by doing so and welcoming them into our addiction?

05-15-08 11:33 AM
    My kids will get a bb as soon as they are old enough to work for it and really appreciate the device.
    05-15-08 01:29 PM
    Im 18 first year in college and I just got my BB around christmas time for a present i have to pay for the data side of the phone. I think it would be unnessecary for anyone younger then me to have one because until this year i would not be able to use it effectively because I was always messing around in highschool....anyways its really helped me organize my priorities so I would have to say im the youngest that should be holding/operating a BB
    I'm sixteen and have one
    05-15-08 08:29 PM
    hi everyone I am new to the forum and the community here, but i figured i throw my input out there. I am a high school student and i just bought my first Black Berry 8830 yesterday.

The reason i decided to upgrade to a data plan was because I am in a professional jazz band who records, we sell CD's and we are always booking gigs at restaurants, weddings and other events. I happen to be the one in charge of booking.

Before I upgraded to my new blackberry 8830 I was operating for about a year on the juke. once business really started to pick up I decided that it was time to upgrade. I think the most important thing that my juke was lacking was A: a good keypad to text on. B: no email C:a larger display. It doesn't take a MIT Computer science major to figure out that the economy is bad here in the U.S and everywhere. With that being said I paid for my black berry 8830 with my own money and let me parents sit that one out, in addition i help generate my portion of the bill some times more.

The only reason i decided to go out and purchase a phone with a data plan is because my school is about an hour and a half away from my house, so after school, when I am free to make my business calls and such, I don't have to wait an hour and a half to email to potential clients. On top of my jazz band I also build custom computers for people and I do tech repair and support which i advertise.

After seeing how our finances depleted after my brother started college, I decided that I was going to work as hard as I could to keep myself financially strong.

I think that the age of someone does play a key role in whether or not they should get a black berry, but more importantly you have to know the person. when i look at my friends at school, and they tell me that they are going to get black berries i just shake my head and ask if they really need one.

some one in another thread posted this and it was very good. unfortunately the thread was locked for obvious reasons, but I enjoyed reading it and it made me stop and think for a little while if I should really be into lucrative money making at my age or if i should just return the black berry throw my macbookpro into the street and live the life of a kid before i have to go off to college.

here it is I believe someone by the name of Black Berry Guy posted it.

"Black Berry Guy"
    Branden and other kids:

Consider yourselves lucky that you have a Blackberry. What a lot of the guys and gals around here are trying to say is that we cannot see why it is an absolute must that you have a smartphone. Regardless of what you say, at your age you do not need it to organize your life, you do not need it to do research (that's what desktops and laptops are for), and you do not need it to keep constantly in touch with everyone (a regular phone can do that). That fact that you may be mature for your age doesn't change any of this.

No matter how much you think you know, there are certain things that only experience will give you. At 12 years old, I'm sorry to say, you are not at that point yet.

Enjoy being your age. Don't try to grow up too fast. I'm 30 years old now with a wife and kid, and I look back fondly at my school years as some of the best times I've had in my life. Time is one thing you'll never be able to get back. You know one of the reasons why they call it a Crackberry? Talk to anybody who works or owns their own business where a Blackberry is part of the job - they feel almost enslaved to it because they are always connected, always in touch with everyone. You have plenty of time ahead of you for that later.

If you are truly as mature as you say, you won't feel the need to bump this thread and try to argue with everyone until you're blue in the face. If you know you are mature, then let it go, there's no need to announce it to the world.

One day you'll realize where we're coming from. I'll leave it at that and won't be saying anything further on this thread.

Deserves to be left open ended.
    07-22-09 09:01 PM
    I am not sure. It depends on the kid. Oh, and, necroposts are great.
    07-22-09 10:39 PM
    I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's being mature and responsible. Owning a BB has so many responsibilities that go along with it such as updating the OS, backing it up, running quickpulls, etc. My 16 year old sister is on my plan and I got her a blackberry. It doesn't intimidate her and she knows how to use it. I taught her how to maintain it, and I make sure to check up on her and update anything when the time being. Although I do work in the wireless industry, and may have influenced my decision a little.. I might as well be a walking advertisement
    07-22-09 11:04 PM
    about 13 or so
    07-22-09 11:10 PM
    what in the world does a child need a blackberry for?

Thats all i gots to say
    07-22-09 11:11 PM
    I was 15 when I got my first cellphone, but a smartphone is more expensive, I'd wait a tad longer than 15 to get them a smartphone.
    07-23-09 06:36 PM
    my mom didnt get me a phone NOR a smartphone.my son can pay for it himself.pre-paid maybe
    07-23-09 07:05 PM
    Oh he*l no. Either they can buy it or have a p.o.s. Motorola for when they get out of soccer early. Kids are brats they won't appreciate it or take care of it unless they are paying for it out of pocket 100%

07-23-09 07:09 PM
    Oh he*l no. Either they can buy it or have a p.o.s. Motorola for when they get out of soccer early. Kids are brats they won't appreciate it or take care of it unless they are paying for it out of pocket 100%

word.

i'm ALMOST 18, and in the past 2 years ive had 2 curves, 1 storm and now a javelin.

blackberries were very useful during highschool and i hope they will be while in college.

i got my first curve as a bday present, then i sold it and got the storm which i hated, then i sold that one aswell and got a curve back, and since my dad pays PLENTY of money on cellphone, he is part of a rewards club of our carrier and he had enough points to get to himself and for me a javelin. My mom has a flip .

well we're a berry family, once you go bb, you never go back
    07-23-09 08:04 PM
    Some studies have showed that the first 5 years of our life are pretty defining, so one should plan accordingly....LOL
    07-23-09 08:09 PM
    Well I'm only 16, so I'd say 16! haha
    07-23-09 08:21 PM
190 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD