Well, I'm the opposite of some of these folks in here. Maybe it's because I come from a HI-TECH family.....

My 12 and 13 year old daughter both have blackberry's "curve 8330"...However the just got them this year with a FREE upgrade with VERIZON, so why not....They have had a cell phone since they were 9 and 10, and they were very responsible with their phones every year. I was willing to risk it. HOWEVER, they have boundaries....they now what they CAN and CAN NOT do on their phones. I have GREAT kids and there is nothing wrong with letting them live a little!
    08-07-09 09:53 AM
    I've often ask myself this question, too. I have 4 kids, with the oldest being 13. I got her first phone when she was 7 years old. I did that because she got lost on the bus one afternoon. Her phone was a firefly so I programmed all the numbers. Since she is 13 now, I'm wondering if I should get her a blackberry. She used to use my old sidekick 3 but now how a nokia music express phone.

Go for it! If she is responsible enough...why not!
    08-07-09 09:56 AM
    i got one at 13 !
    08-07-09 09:57 AM
    i just got my tour and im turning 20 i love it. I wish i would of got one earlier. I think as long as they can pay for the data plan and no be careless with the BB then they deserve it.
    08-07-09 10:48 AM
    Im sixteen (quite mature for my age) and I was given one for staying in college and getting a job (i also passed everything on my college course) and i love it was a bit miffed i couldn't put music on it untill i get a memory card, but a genious invention. and hey things are looking up i work in mcdonalds yay for free wi-fi
    06-11-10 01:30 PM
    Regular phone- 13 in case of emergencies

Smart phone- college, i loved having mine to check my college emails, so i did not have to log on to the computer every night to make sure i didnt miss an important school email. yes i would be on the computer anyways, but didnt want to HAVE to remeber.

I would not get it for them unless they payed for the data, and on a side note i love having the internet so when your in a heated argument about something i can google it to make sure i win
    06-11-10 03:44 PM
    a regular phone - 11 because of starting high school (for emergencys) the first phone would literally be an old cheap one
    a standard phone - 13 - when they actually have made friends to text/call and also start to learn the responsibilties of growing older
    an expensive phone (like a smartphone) - 17 - so they can pay for the contract theirselves and also have more responsibility!
    06-11-10 06:01 PM
    Wow I'm actually surprised by the responses. As spoiled as kids are these days I would've thought that more people would've said as soon as they want it.
    06-11-10 06:27 PM
    I would most likely get my child a cell phone when they started going out on their own. (high school or around there) And definitely when they start to drive. I absolutely hate the idea of them possibly getting stranded or in an accident some where with no way to contact anyone. Or for me to contact them.

Haha getting them a cell phone would probably be more for my benefit than theirs! However, if they want a smartphone then they get to pay for the data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 06:44 PM
    I got a pearl when I was 16
    06-11-10 07:10 PM
    I don't have kids yet, but I just can't imagine giving my kid a phone with ability to do the stuff a Blackberry can do. All you parents out there, you also should consider whether or not a picture phone is good for your kids - or at least the ability to MMS pictures. You don't want indecent pics floating around b/c your kid isn't mature enough to handle the technology yet.
    06-17-10 10:03 PM
    My first phone was a pay as you go one when I was 9 or 10, I was going away for two weeks to the seaside with my friends grandparents so I needed it to stay in contact with my mum. I've had lots of phones since!

I didn't get my first contract phone until I was 14-15? Then it was a tmobile 75 minutes + 75 texts, when it was gone I could top up (excellent plan for children who could potentially go over the bill).

I didn't get a blackberry until I was 17, I got a pearl and paid for it myself (although my mum was still paying the bill) the bill was transferred over to me when I turned 18 and I upgraded to a curve with a data plan and now I am 20 I have a Bold 9700.

I definatley take more care of it now I am paying myself before I wasn't bothered about running over the bill!

06-18-10 02:49 AM
    Btw I am from the UK and it is very different here, I know a 10 year old with a BB curve, her dad bought it for her! A lot of kids around where I live have BB's, its like you're not cool unless you have one.

My mum got a Bold last month and at 38 its her first smartphone!!

06-18-10 02:51 AM
    He's not my child, but I'm putting my 13 y/o brother on my Everything Data plan and getting him a BB curve...with the go-ahead from our mom (i'm 27, but still want to make sure its ok with her!). My mom couldn't afford to pay Verizon the extra money for unlimited texting, so I offered the extra line on my plan to help her out. He loves my curve so much, I decided I'll get him one and we can stay in touch easier with BBM. He does know that I'll be watching him like a hawk, and if he messes up, the phone comes back!

With my unlimited texting and data, he can't eff me over and my bill won't skyrocket. But when he gets his first job (and if he's still on my plan), you can bet I'll be making him donate to the bill! For now, I'm just being a nice big sister.
    06-18-10 07:21 AM
    My mom got me one when I was 14. I payed for the phone though, if that makes a difference. I think I only got it because our Sprint plan is a business plan, so it's cheaper than normal plans. And she needs the data plan for her Curve, so she pretty much said "If we already have the unlimited data share plan, you may as well get a phone that can take advantage of it!"
    06-18-10 09:22 AM
    He's not my child, but I'm putting my 13 y/o brother on my Everything Data plan and getting him a BB curve...with the go-ahead from our mom (i'm 27, but still want to make sure its ok with her!). My mom couldn't afford to pay Verizon the extra money for unlimited texting, so I offered the extra line on my plan to help her out. He loves my curve so much, I decided I'll get him one and we can stay in touch easier with BBM. He does know that I'll be watching him like a hawk, and if he messes up, the phone comes back!

With my unlimited texting and data, he can't eff me over and my bill won't skyrocket. But when he gets his first job (and if he's still on my plan), you can bet I'll be making him donate to the bill! For now, I'm just being a nice big sister.
    You are awesome! We need more people like you in the world. I congratulate you on your caring spirit. My hat is off to you.

06-18-10 10:42 AM
    My oldest daughter has a new curve and she's 14. I gave her my palm centro when she was 13 because I switched to a BB and she had to stay after school a lot for choir and other things (she was a freshman in hs btw). The only reason she has a BB now is because I upgraded my hubby's palm to a Curve when they were B1G1F. We have the unlimited family plan so all her usage doesn't hurt us in the end. She does mow the yard to contribute for the line though.
    06-18-10 11:39 AM
    got my first bb when i was 14 =]
    06-18-10 11:42 AM
    I dunno why but I would wanna spoil my child if they were old enough to look like they could handle one. But obviously they would have to earn it.
    06-18-10 11:54 AM
    think it would depend on the age of the child and their maturity level to see if they could handle a high end phone like a curve or tour vs a old flip phone or rumor.
    06-18-10 12:46 PM
    WOW i took a longgggggggg hiatus from this site and this thread is STILL going on two years later LMAO
    06-18-10 01:28 PM
    WOW i took a longgggggggg hiatus from this site and this thread is STILL going on two years later LMAO
    It is interesting to read all the various responses. As an update to my post which started this great discussion, my grandson who is now 14 soon tired of the Pearl and chose to get a cell phone. He did eventually get texting, however, I utilized the AT&T feature that allows me to set what hours he can use it as well as other limitations.
    06-18-10 10:49 PM
    There isn't in my opinion ANY reason for a child to have a smartphone and certainly
    not one with a data plan.

When they can pay for it themselves they can have one. Until then, they have to
    settle for the basic phone I give them.
    06-19-10 12:42 PM
    Wow that great that AT&T has that feature. I have Sprint and don't believe that feature exists. My son is 16 and he has a BB. He just got it very recently and that was because I just upgraded by adding my husband and son on my plan with my carrier and the bb's were only $20 and no charge for my son's line. So, cheaper than any other phone really. I do think that he should help to pay for the use even if he doesn't have a job yet.
    Sprint basically gives you a boatload of minutes plus unlimited data/sms/mms so you should be fine. That said, yes he probably should.
    06-19-10 01:12 PM
    I would say high school. That is one of the benefits of a family plan on sprint (everything data), because it has almost unlimited everything and its the same price for a new line, dumb phone or smart phone. But high school is when I got one, but then again I am very tech centered

06-19-10 02:08 PM
190 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD