My son is thirteen. I would let him have a BB when he can pay for the data plan. I will also consider it when he starts washing his hands instead of wiping them on his pants!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

LOL!! about the considering when he starts washing his hands instead of wiping on his pants.
    02-26-08 11:34 PM
    My daugter got her cell phone when she was 12 which I feel is more than enough. She can upgrade to the BB maybe when she turns 16 and gets a job
    02-26-08 11:47 PM
    I think that when the child has his/her own job and can pay for the data plan, then they can have a BB, maybe around 17,18 yrs old
    02-26-08 11:54 PM
    I gave my 12-year-old grandson my Pearl when I got a curve. Right now he only has phone, music and lots of games, no messaging or internet. This started me thinking, when should I open him up to the wonderful world of Blackberry addiction. What age did/would/should you give your kids a full access Blackberry?
    LOL, what Chaz said....even if you got a new one, it's still a VERY expensive phone to give to a child.....my son got his first phone when he was 16....I bought it for him, but it was a very inexpensive phone.
    02-27-08 12:17 AM
    I agree as soon as my boys can pay the bill they can have what ever they want.

02-27-08 12:25 AM
    I don't have children yet, but if I did, #1 they would not have a BB as their 1st phone(they wouldn't know how to take care of it!)#2 they would have to have a job and show responsibility. So if their lucky MAYBE 17

02-27-08 12:25 AM
    As soon as he gets a job and buys one.
    amen, glad there is some grip on reality in this addiction
    02-27-08 06:33 AM
    My blackberry is my son!
    03-05-08 11:18 PM
    My daughters mom bought her a phone last year at 7 y.o. Let me tell you, seeing a kid with a Brat doll in one hand and a phone on a pink belt clip looks inherently wrong together! She could get her first little BB when she can pay her way in this crazy world and be responsible enough to take care of it. 16-18 I guess, who would she email anyway, me or her mom?

03-05-08 11:57 PM
    Without insurance........never
    03-06-08 12:23 AM
    18+ they really don't need one until they are in college at the earliest.

03-06-08 12:37 AM
    Never, let them buy their own. BB's are too expensive for children.
    03-06-08 12:45 AM
    I wouldnt give a child a Berry...They have to be able to pay for it on their own. They can stick with a sidekick or whatever until then.
    03-06-08 08:36 AM
    If I Can Afford It Then I Would Get Soon As He/she Hits Freshman Year In High School Cause Thats When I Wanted A Cell Phone And Thats When I Got One But Now Im A 17yr Old Junior In High School With A Blackberry Pearl 8100 And Loving It.
    Of Course You Want You Want Your Kids To Have The Same Joy As You! And No I Dont Have Any Kids.
    I Dont Want Any Either.
    BUT SINCE I HAVE A JOB I PAY FOR MAH OWN CELL BILL.
    A SK??? JAZZEJEF...
    WHY NOT BB THEY BOTH ARE EXPENSIVE AND COOL
    Last edited by enyahs_shayne09; 03-06-08 at 09:06 AM.
    03-06-08 09:03 AM
    I agree with kids not being able to get a BB until they are old enough to pay for one. And- this is going to show my age a little- maybe they should have to carry around one of those early 1990s bulky cell phones first so that they could appreciate the new-fangled technology we have these days.

My 3 year old gets to play with my wife's old pink Razr and I think that's good enough for now.
    03-06-08 09:29 AM
    My son is thirteen. I would let him have a BB when he can pay for the data plan. I will also consider it when he starts washing his hands instead of wiping them on his pants!

ROLFLMAO!!!!! LUV IT!
    03-06-08 09:33 AM
    My 14 yr old son has gone thru 3 phones in less than a year, No bb for him till he has a job and can replace it and pay the bill!!!
    MY 15 yr old daughter hasn't had the best record for phones either. At this point she's using a $20 Go Phone. LOL!
    That's what happens when you can't afford to buy new phones and your contract has 8 months left.
    She's begging for a BB. She's really gona need a job to pay for the data plan if that happens.
    03-06-08 09:40 AM
    Im 18 first year in college and I just got my BB around christmas time for a present i have to pay for the data side of the phone. I think it would be unnessecary for anyone younger then me to have one because until this year i would not be able to use it effectively because I was always messing around in highschool....anyways its really helped me organize my priorities so I would have to say im the youngest that should be holding/operating a BB
    I agree . . . I'm 23 and just got mine. Don't feel it's necessary. I got it because I'm just at that point in my career that it's very, very useful. If I weren't in the industry I'm in, I probably wouldn't even consider having it. What's the point really?
    I'm a advocate for children not having cell phones until they DRIVE. Why else would they have one? That's when I got my first cell phone and personally, I don't really care that I didn't have on prior to. But c'mon . . . a BB with full functionality before then???? No way. No freakin' way.
    03-06-08 09:46 AM
    Not sure about this one....but I leaning towards.........when they can pay for it!! Considering my wife had a fit when I got mine (becuase of the data-plan)...I'm guessing she'll need some convincing for my sons.

Since they are only 18 months old...I guess I have awhile to worry about it..
    03-06-08 10:29 AM
    My sister recently bought that Firefly or Butterfly phone for my nephew. It's the one that only allows the child to call certain numbers & has the image for Mom & Dad, & etc. Well, I went to have lunch @ my sister's & when I go to check my phone for messages & whatnot, I see his phone in place of mine. He'd taken my BB! He's only 7!

LOL, I'm not giving my future children a BB, til they need it!
    03-06-08 10:34 AM
    My kids have already taken over my HDTV to watch Wow Wow Wubzy, Scooby Doo (which I actually like), and Dora The Explorer on, constantly on my computer to play Noggin games, and grab my BB with their grubby, grimy little hands any chance they get.
    I guess that makes my answer...they'll have a blackberry of their own when they're old enough to steal mine.
    03-06-08 10:35 AM
    My 5 yr old daughter has an old reject BB 7290 of mine.

Ok, so the there is no Sim and i have disabled the phone function , but its a great tool for your spelling as she loves to practice typing words.

She knows how to compose and save also....Make that in addition to having capitals and full stops.

She also runs around the house saying - "Have you seen my Blackberry?" and "dont forget to charge it"
    03-06-08 11:30 AM
    Right out of the womb baby!! Get them hooked while they're young. I have a few Baby Einstein videos on a micro SD that I pop in on long trips.
    03-06-08 12:00 PM
    I got a cell phone at 16 when I started driving, my mother wanted me to have it in case of an emergency. I had a 50 minute a month plan, no text, blah blah...though, none of my friends had cell phones anyway.

I don't see needing a BB until you 1) are in college, or 2) have a real job. In either case, you have to be able to afford it on your own and not leach off of mom and dad. I have no kids though, just my $0.02.
    That's exactly what we did with my daughter. She whined about not getting one until she was 16, but she appreciates it more. I told her when she graduates will buy her a BlackBerry.
    03-06-08 01:12 PM
    not gonna have a kid anytime soon LOL but i would say when they're old enough to pay for their own phone bill
    03-06-08 01:26 PM
190 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD