we put alot more effort into school then your generation and we can do that without hours of work with the help of technology.
    You didnt even read my statement saying how I am in school right now... I don't think you can honestly say that kids these days put in more effort than kids before us...they just don't. I tried to come on here and show people that not everyone is just looking for a argument. But with you around here not even reading the posts I can see how people are getting annoyed with this.
    07-21-08 11:22 AM
    ive been reading every post.
    07-21-08 11:25 AM
    Seriously Brandon, what would your dad say if he knew you were arguing with adults, AND saying that what you do in school is so much harder and valuable than what he did in school. Don't lie to me, I have kids your age and I know exactly what he would say. You have some growing up to do. I think it is time for you to either contribute as a member of this community or go fire up your XBox. Maybe that was a stereotype, just like the ones you're throwing around.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 11:30 AM
    I am 17 and still dont have a blackberry, I use a standard cell phone and I think everyone else should too unless you have the money to pay for it or have a job that is willing to pay for it.
    07-21-08 11:34 AM
    Seriously Brandon, what would your dad say if he knew you were arguing with adults, AND saying that what you do in school is so much harder and valuable than what he did in school. Don't lie to me, I have kids your age and I know exactly what he would say. You have some growing up to do. I think it is time for you to either contribute as a member of this community or go fire up your XBox. Maybe that was a stereotype, just like the ones you're throwing around.

i dont have an xbox.
    07-21-08 11:35 AM
    ive been reading every post.
    No, because if you read mine about exhibiting adult like qualities,
    and actually comprehended it, you would be done with this by now.

I am thankful for all kinds of things, but right now, nothing makes
    me more thankful than knowing you are not my child. I have a sense
    I'd have to quit my job just to have the time needed to whup your
    a ss and straighten you out.
    07-21-08 11:36 AM
    No, because if you read mine about exhibiting adult like qualities,
    and actually comprehended it, you would be done with this by now.

I am thankful for all kinds of things, but right now, nothing makes
    me more thankful than knowing you are not my child. I have a sense
    I'd have to quit my job just to have the time needed to whup your
    a ss and straighten you out. GROW THE F*%K UP.
    what are us kids supposed to do, just let you guys talk behind our backs or do something about it? i think the latter is the better option.
    07-21-08 11:38 AM
    Oh, this is a testy subject for me. Times have changed from when a lot of the adults here with BlackBerries were children. I got my first phone when I was ten. It was a TracFone, with just calling and a few prepaid minutes. When I was twelve, I got my first phone with a contract because so many kids at my school (in my grade) had one. A year later, I got a Razr (that I paid for). Then just this past June, I got my Pearl. I spent about three months saving up for it because my dad refused to pay for my new cell phone, just the bill. I ended up trading it in for a Curve, which I also paid for.
    The only reason I'm allowed to have a phone is because I am responsible. I got my first job the day it was legal for me, my forteenth birthday. I worked as a waitress at a small cafe in town for a few months until it was sold. Now I'm babysitting pretty much every day, and I help my dad write stories at the newspaper he owns. I also have straight As, no Bs on any report cards this year at all. I'm in sports, and I have a good attotude. These all contribute to me being allowed to have a Berry. I am fourteen now, fifteen I'm a month.
    I think it just depends on the level of maturity and responsibility in the child, rather than the age. I'm sorry, but nobody here can tell me I shouldn't have a Berry because of my age. Or anyone, for that matter. Age does not matter. My dad actually has my old TracFone because that's the only phone he knows how to use. If a kid is under ten, well, that may be too young, but I'm nobody to say what age is appropriate for someone to have a Berry.

You have a job--in spite of the fact that daddy owns a newspaper--you paid for your own blackberry......you are responsible and you get good grades. That all being the case, I don't think many people would argue that you don't "deserve" a bb--I think a lot of people have made it clear that if you can afford it, and you want it, then why not?

A BB is a tool, just like any other, and if you can afford one and can use one, you should have one. I think the problem that a lot of "adults" have is that children frequently want something merely because it is the style, and a lot of adults want their children to have something simply because other children have it and they don't want THEIR kid to feel "left out". I have a gf who got her child a phone for just that reason--all the OTHER girls have them. For ME, that seems ridiculous.
    07-21-08 11:48 AM
    Kids need to realize that the reputation of them are not the best because of frankly people like you...who don't know when to stop. Sometimes you just have to take whatever pride you have left and just drop the subject. You aren't going to win every argument and on a forum your chances are much less...esspecially when you are in the minority. Just save face and move on.
    07-21-08 11:52 AM
    You have a job--in spite of the fact that daddy owns a newspaper--you paid for your own blackberry......you are responsible and you get good grades. That all being the case, I don't think many people would argue that you don't "deserve" a bb--I think a lot of people have made it clear that if you can afford it, and you want it, then why not?

A BB is a tool, just like any other, and if you can afford one and can use one, you should have one. I think the problem that a lot of "adults" have is that children frequently want something merely because it is the style, and a lot of adults want their children to have something simply because other children have it and they don't want THEIR kid to feel "left out". I have a gf who got her child a phone for just that reason--all the OTHER girls have them. For ME, that seems ridiculous.
    i even agree that that is ridiculous.
    07-21-08 11:52 AM
    what are us kids supposed to do, just let you guys talk behind our backs or do something about it? i think the latter is the better option.
    This isn't high school. Unless you are physically facing away from your monitor, no one is talking behind your back.

Oh wait. You are 12. Nevermind.. You haven't even hit high school. Give this up, kid. You have far too much to say for your age. If you were my child... Well... let's just say you should be glad you aren't.
    07-21-08 11:53 AM
    No one is talking behind your back, Brandon. Evryone here would support you being a contributing member of CB. This thread is not contributing. The maturity everyone is talking about is the ability to tell the difference. My kids and I have debates, and I do not discourage them voicing their opinions. But I have the final vote because I'm the parent. They rely on me to make the right decisions because I have more experience. I am still curious about what your Father would say about what you're doing. You didn't answer the question.

07-21-08 11:54 AM
    You know, at this point I could not care less what you do. but as
    a suggestion: Grab some crayons, some construction paper,
    go sit down and simply STFU. Your "What I Did This Summer"
    essay is sure to be a veritable friggin barn burner.
    07-21-08 12:00 PM
    I have 3 Rolex watches 1 of them was my grandfathers and it still works. A fine watch isn't just to tell time its a machinery of art. Unless you know about finer things in life you will never understand.. Your probably one of those people who trash talk weathly people who drive exotic cars? Saying things like whats the point of buying a $200K car when a $10K car can take you from Point A to Point B.

Also some people visit this site to learn about thier BB and its applications, not to just hang out and waste all day trolling these boards.
    I am one of those that is here to get news update on the Bold and any other information about my current BB curve.
    No, my dear, my comparison about the Rolex was in NO way meant as a bash. Though I don't own one myself, and probably never will, I am WELL aware of the fact that Rolex's are 'more than a watch'--my point was that no matter how fine a timepiece they are, no matter that you can hand them down through the ages, they are still a watch, and that even though a BB, as an electronic device is, as someone pointed out, outmoded pretty much within a month after you buy it, it STILL contains my entire life, which a Rolex does/can NOT.

Sorry it got your panties in a wad......and sorry you felt the need to try to put me down simply because I had the audacity to NOT worship at the altar of Rolex. You know nothing about me, or how much money I may or may not have, but because I said something you didn't like you felt free to insult me......that says more about you than how many expensive watches you have.
    07-21-08 12:05 PM
    No, my dear, my comparison about the Rolex was in NO way meant as a bash. Though I don't own one myself, and probably never will, I am WELL aware of the fact that Rolex's are 'more than a watch'--my point was that no matter how fine a timepiece they are, no matter that you can hand them down through the ages, they are still a watch, and that even though a BB, as an electronic device is, as someone pointed out, outmoded pretty much within a month after you buy it, it STILL contains my entire life, which a Rolex does/can NOT.

Sorry it got your panties in a wad......and sorry you felt the need to try to put me down simply because I had the audacity to NOT worship at the altar of Rolex. You know nothing about me, or how much money I may or may not have, but because I said something you didn't like you felt free to insult me......that says more about you than how many expensive watches you have.
    this thread is about ids with blackberrys not rolex watches.
    07-21-08 01:17 PM
    I don't think you know 100% what is going on so I don't think I'll listen to you on that one
    07-21-08 01:38 PM
    For those arguing junior should have the BB and unfettered access to the net I suggest �ou search "myspace kid freak out" on YouTube. I would post the link but I can't get it to come up right now.

07-21-08 03:33 PM
    Adults in this thread, let's go back to being adults huh. I've been following this thread along with my 2 BB empowered teens and it seems that most of the hostility and a fair amount of the immaturity is coming from our side. A couple of people have wondered what these young posters' parents would think about what they've said here. Aside from some grammatical errs(which we're all guilty of from time to time) and teenspeak(I admit I am probably better versed in it, courtesy of my own kids) they have been pretty easy to understand, if sometimes inartful in their use of language. As a parent I don't see anything contentwise that they should be ashamed of. On the other hand, some of the adults have sunk way below a polite level of discourse. Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Adults, would you proudly show your parents all of your posts in this thread? Would they be proud? Just above my kids and I read a post in which a supposed adult gave a verbal beatdown of a 12 year old, replete with profanity. Let's look to ourselves before we insist that these teens and preteens show maturity beyond their age. -- Z.
    07-21-08 03:49 PM
    i dont have an xbox.
    Yeah you probably have an xbox 360, WI and a PS3. Not the origional xbox haha.
    07-21-08 04:05 PM
    For those arguing junior should have the BB and unfettered access to the net I suggest �ou search "myspace kid freak out" on YouTube. I would post the link but I can't get it to come up right now.

LMAO................
    07-21-08 04:13 PM
    Please lock this thread before it becomes even more stupid.

What started out as a grandmother over-ruling a parents wishes and what advice we could give the OP has been perverted by a bored 12 year old who should be outside in the sun enjoying his summer break and not chained to his computer, posting "I absolutely agree" without actually reading what he's agreeing with. Sadly he is 12, or so I've heard, and he will not get what any of us are saying until he is in the real world and fending for himself. He doesn't even understand that he did not get his own cell phone and isn't paying for it himself, because at 12 (or so I've heard) he is not legally able to sign a contract to purchase his own phone, and his parents pay him his allowance which he then gives right back to them to pay his cell bill. End result, his parents are 100% responsible for 'his' cellphone. It's simple math and a simple concept, but at 12 he doesn't comprehend.

And I did learn something valuable. Apparently laptops are incredibly heavy and unwieldy and so simply are inconvenient to use to write reports on, due to their habit of crushing the users legs under their weight. Who knew?
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07-21-08 at 04:19 PM.
    07-21-08 04:16 PM
    As long as they live under my roof, they will have what I want them to. Once they are out and earn their money they can have whatever they want. BB for kids? How about something more constructive?
    I don't even think that some of the posters should be posting! That includes me,haha

07-21-08 04:26 PM
    I agree, lock this stupid thread! If these kids want to socialize, let them take it to the OT forums! This thread died a loooonnggg time ago!
    07-21-08 04:31 PM
    Reeneebob -- I'm more inclined to think he understands but sees it from a different perspective. To illustrate, my kids also get an allowance for doing the usual chores around the house. On top of that we pay them for extra jobs and projects that they take on. Yes, I am paying these allowances, but they are definitely earning it. That's also the way they see it with our encouragement. They are learning the concepts of working for a paycheck, budgeting, saving, etc. Dad may be paying their 'salary", but it's a 'salary' nonetheless and they should learn to understand this concept. I think you may be too peeved at the young ones in this thread to see this point, but I do think young B(or someone, many pages ago) did make it. -- Z.

P.S. -- About the laptop issue. Believe it or not some of us still do without them but have a BB. My two teen have great desktop Macs and their BBs are all the mobile firepower they need. -- Z.
    07-21-08 05:00 PM
    What age is too young?
    In reality, it's hard to say - it's a unique argument for each and every parent/family.

I am a divorced and re-married mom. My girls have had cell phones since the age of 10 and 12, respectively. There were reasons for both ages and differences in both girls. it depends on the child, the life situation of the family and the reasons change.

Currently, my 17 year old has a bb while she is on scholarship in France. It is less expensive for her to email me than to text me or call me. I wanted to keep in touch with her while she was is there. That is my choice, as a parent. She did not ask for the BB for this trip. When she returns home, she may or may not go back to her non-bb phone.

Brandon and Eric - the teen posters in this thread, I can agree with some of your agurments, and laugh at some...playing games on the bb in math class earned you no brownie points and in our school, would cause your phone to be taken up and all text messages to be read aloud to the class. LOL

However, the using the bb for research / reports, for keeping in touch with teachers and friends, via email, and texting for discussing homework are valid reasons for owning a bb or any other smart phone.

My kids recieve quite a bit of communication and sometimes even notes on assignments from their teachers and their coaches via email. On a bb, they would see the email right away - on a computer, they would have to be logged into email, to realize it was there. Some are time-sensitve, and sent by a teacher that "forgot" to provide info in class.

BB's can be very handy in situtions like ours, where two kids have homework to research and only one computer to use.

If a teen can pay for the phone and the service, and that is how they want to spend their hard earned money, I say it's their right.

If a parent has a reason to justify the blackberry, so be it. It is their perogative as a parent to make those decisions.
    If a grandparent purchases a bb for a grandchild it is the right of the parent(s) to decide if the child should have the phone, and when. And in the case of a blended family, it only gets more difficicult when one child is a favorite over the others. But still, a choice of the parent to say yes or no.

The argument can be debated all day, but in the end, t's a unique argument for each and every parent/family.
    07-21-08 05:07 PM
651 ... 24252627
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD