Having a phone at 15 is fine, having a phone at 12 is fine, but a Blackberry?

Mmmm, I think it makes kids grow up way too fast. A phone for kids should be for emergencies & whatnot. I don't think a device like a BB is suitable for someone so young.

Question is - by saying you're responsible enough to have a BB.. what does that mean? If you're responsible enough to save up and buy one, then sure.. but not just 'get one'.

BBM, IM, & all that is opening a world that I don't think 13yr olds need to be a part of just yet. I know a lot of young teens have AIM & whatnot but I think it should be strictly monitored by their parents.
    Last edited by mzshey2x; 04-14-08 at 02:53 PM.
    04-14-08 02:50 PM
    You don't need a $300 phone for emergencies. I believe if you can't buy the phone yourself and can't pay for the bill yourself you too young to have one.
    I have my two every new discount and my father works there so I get can a discount. If the phone is going to be about.. $150 dollars cheaper lets say, then I would much rather have the BB then some other phone. The phone currently in the store for a 2 year contract is $200.
    04-14-08 02:56 PM
    It's not about money all the time, sometimes all you need is just a phone - not a BB.

BBM, PIN messaging, AIM & all that isn't something you need - at least in my opinion. & if you're gonna be on AIM, be on it at home - where someone can see you & watch over.
    04-14-08 02:58 PM
    Having a phone at 15 is fine, having a phone at 12 is fine, but a Blackberry?

Mmmm, I think it makes kids grow up way too fast. A phone for kids should be for emergencies & whatnot. I don't think a device like a BB is suitable for someone so young.

Question is - by saying you're responsible enough to have a BB.. what does that mean? If you're responsible enough to save up and buy one, then sure.. but not just 'get one'.

BBM, IM, & all that is opening a world that I don't think 13yr olds need to be a part of just yet. I know a lot of young teens have AIM & whatnot but I think it should be strictly monitored by their parents.
    As I said before, i'm going to have my two every new discount. If you were turning 13, wouldn't you much rather get a BB then some other phone? I know you probably would. Most teens will probably brake the BB or whatnot, but my parents trust me and I respect that. I get all A's and you could probably say i'm very responsible. But i'm not some nerdy kid. I want this phone for texting, surfing the web, aim, and more.
    04-14-08 02:59 PM
    What do I think? Well... I don't think half the people that have BlackBerrys should have them, even if they are 35 years old. Not because of age, but because of the nature of the device. It really gets under my skin when someone has a BlackBerry that they don't know how to use and they didn't buy for any reason other than its full keyboard for texting. I am not saying that only business users should have them like it used to be, but I do think that the only people who should have them should have a full understanding of what it does and what it can do for them. I am not saying that you can't be a beginner either, I mean we all start somewhere, but the desire to learn the device is key.

For the question at hand, not only do I think it is a ridiculous phone for a 12-13 year old, I think almost ANY phone is ridiculous for a kid that age. The only ones I am ok with are the child specific devices like those FireFly phones, or prepaid go-phone type deal. I think texting should be blocked until they can pay for it themselves, as well as other extras.

I would happily pay for a limited use phone for my kids for emergencies, but when they want a phone to spend hours on the line with their friends and send thousands of text messages, you better believe they are paying.

Don't your inlaws worry about the grossly negative effects of spoiling a kid in today's society?
    04-14-08 03:01 PM
    As I said before, i'm going to have my two every new discount. If you were turning 13, wouldn't you much rather get a BB then some other phone? I know you probably would. Most teens will probably brake the BB or whatnot, but my parents trust me and I respect that. I get all A's and you could probably say i'm very responsible. But i'm not some nerdy kid. I want this phone for texting, surfing the web, aim, and more.
    I understand that's what I probably would've WANTED & what you WANT - but thankfully, my parents didn't indulge that. The first phone I got was a regular cell phone - no added whatever. And when I had the money to buy a phone with all the bells & whistles my mother & father said I couldn't have it til I was older, at least 16/17.

You don't need AIM or the web at your age & if you do, you need to have it where someone's watching you. At 13, you're super vulnerable to everything & anything - your parents should know that before allowing you to purchase something that can possibly endanger you - WITH or WITHOUT a discount.
    Last edited by mzshey2x; 04-14-08 at 03:04 PM.
    04-14-08 03:02 PM
    It's not about money all the time, sometimes all you need is just a phone - not a BB.

BBM, PIN messaging, AIM & all that isn't something you need - at least in my opinion. & if you're gonna be on AIM, be on it at home - where someone can see you & watch over.
    Yes, actually AIM is something that I need. I contact my friends and parents on it when I'm not able to use the computer. And I have 'just a phone' right now (a razr to be exact) and lets just say, its the worst phone I could possibly own. Thats why I think the BB suits me. I'm not going to use it for GPS and email and all that stuff that some of you older adults use, but thats not only what the phone is for.
    04-14-08 03:02 PM
    It is not just the phone, consider the plan as well. What is the voice/data and all going to run monthly? We bought our daughter a Firefly for "emergencies" and that plan is $25 per month which allows her to text her friends every now and then yet still be able to reach us. I think you are stretching the "emergency" reasoning a bit too far. I cannot think of anything on a Blackberry that is a must have for a 12/13 year old...
    04-14-08 03:03 PM
    i have a 12yr old who has a his own cell phone but he is OWN MY PLAN at which i can montior his calls and i have disable his email and mms ..but he does have text which i can also motior that.. I personaly dont think kids need cell phones ..but with everything happening at schools and colleges now adays.. he can call us in a emergency if something was to happen and it also teaches him some responabilty about growing up . and if u want things u have to earn them by school work and chores and ect .. but when he dont do well in school the cell phone goes bye bye for a while ...so basically it would depend on the parents . and the sitution ..
    04-14-08 03:04 PM
    and if u want things u have to earn them by school work and chores and ect .. but when he dont do well in school the cell phone goes bye bye for a while ...so basically it would depend on the parents . and the sitution ..
    ^^ Which is exactly why I am getting a BB. My parents think I deserve one because of my school work, chores around the house, behavior, etc.

But whatever of what you guys think. Sometimes, us "kids" just strongly dislike how you underestimate us. Most adults will think 'Oh they'll just brake the phone, charge up the bill, and want a new one the next day.' and that we are "spoiled". Well erm, not all of us are like that. But i'm done here, i'm going to go to another thread. Have a good day
    04-14-08 03:09 PM
    I fear for the next generation

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-08 03:15 PM
    Our daughter got her first cell phone at 12 when a family member was in the hospital and we had to be in contact in case of an emergency. Now, at 15, she has an iPhone, courtesy of an indulgent grandfather, but with our permission beforehand. She lives by rules on her phone. She is only allowed to place or receive phone calls to family members...period. If she gets a phone call from a friend, it is limited to one minute, long enough to have them call on the house phone which isn't ruled by minutes. She is permitted to text and web surf as she wishes, but we have a "hands up" rule for both the phone and computer use. Only used in public areas of the house and if we say "hands up" we get to read what is on the screen at any given moment, no hiding anything. So far so good...and both computer and phone are taken away for any transgressions. In almost 3 years, she has never abused the phone...we just monitor how it is used.

At what age? That is very individual, depending on the child.

However, I would have fits if my child were given something on the magnitude of a Blackberry without my permission. I would just return it saying "Thank you, but she may not have it." Parents should still have the final say.
    04-14-08 03:18 PM
    Those are great rules Maedra - esp 'hands up'

04-14-08 03:21 PM
    I wouldn't worry. At 12 she'll either break it or loose it in a couple weeks anyway.
    04-14-08 03:27 PM
    I am 15. I got one right after my 13th birthday.

04-14-08 03:31 PM
    As a lawyer - criminal prosecutor with 6 years in sexual assault cases - it's amazing how much trouble kids can get into inadvertently on the 'net. Creeps are out there. Chat rooms, IMs, etc - all ways for perverts to gain access to kids. The beauty of a BB by putting the internet in your hands as well as messenger capabilities to anyone comes at a price - opening the user up to the world. Sadly, many kids aren't prepared for that and fall victim. It's bad enough that it happens at home on the family computer, but to take that unmonitored web access and send a kid out of mom & dad's view? No thanks.

Are some kids responsible enough for a BB at 11? Sure. Would I be comfortable with that? Nope. Why chance things?

BTW - love the "hands up" rule, too Maedra.
    04-14-08 03:33 PM
    Ok, let me add to my last post. I got a used 7250 from my dad for a birthday present. And then an 8830 for graduation. I am not spoiled with anything else. I have to help pay for my education, sports equipment etc. I think it depends on your needs. I use email more than my phone.

04-14-08 03:36 PM
    I think you answered your own question by saying "pin me". She will have that ability for anybody to contact her if she figures out how the pin works. And besides 12 is to young even by myspace and Facebook standards. Tell the in laws thanks but no thanks.

04-14-08 03:37 PM
    I always find these discussions interesting.

My son whom is now 8 received his first cell phone when he was 4 in preschool. We have a family plan and he shares the minutes. Then I set it up to where he could only make calls in his phone book until he had a better understanding and not just making random calls. I think his first phone was a Nokia not sure. He has had a razor and his recent phone is a cheapo because "SO" washed his razor. He has asked for a blackberry since we have gotten ours and I am considering it without data he has no need for data.

I did see see a few post about kids being spoiled. I wont say he isnt. But the difference is that he works very very hard for what he gets. He doesnt just get it to get it. He is consistently an honor roll student, he does his chores and pulls his own weight, he is very responsible, he is very polite among other things and most importantly he is very humble.

I also believe that by giving him a cell phone so young in life he is over the show off stage of it. When he is in school it stays in his pocket and is off at all times. He knows he cannot turn it on unless its to call me or his father in the event of an emergency. He does call his friends on occasion but that is rare. His favorite things to do on it is play games and text message us.

In my opinion these days with all the gun fighting, child theft and other child related incidents I am glad he understand and knows how to use the cell phone. Also, most people dont expect a child that young to have one. If someone were to take him God forbid he can either call for help or text for help without being detected. Or, if necessary I can have it traced.

I think in your situation though with having several kids that is more like teasing the other kids that do not have any. It will just cause up roar in your home. My son is an only child and his closest youngest relatives are to far away to cause an issue. I know some of the kids at his school have asked why he gets what he wants and I explain it the same way. Do you do all your homework? Do you listen to your parents? Do you have honor roll? Are you polite? Do your chores? etc.
    04-14-08 03:38 PM
    12 year olds dont need BBs unless you just want to waste a device.
    At most its going to be used like a sidekick anyway.
    04-14-08 03:38 PM

It's not about responsibity. It's about need vs. want. Do you really need a BB. Is it something that you truly need to keep in contact with family and friends. Or is it something I want. i understand needing a phone to keep in contact. I wish I had one when I was in high school, but honestly if you can't buy it yourself than your to youmg. No matter were your parents work or who you know. If you want to play the responsibility card than getting a BB should be something that you pay for not your parents.
    04-14-08 03:46 PM
    My 9 year old has my old 8100 (I upgraded to a Curve). She has it to take when she goes to a friends house, gymnastics practice, and it goes to school in her backpack (powered off is allowed by her school). It gives both of us peace of mind that she can always contact me and has all the important contact info she might not remember in an emergency. As a costsaving bonus , while her friends have ipods, she does not. Her music is on her BB.
    She has five phone numbers in it she can call and she is allowed to text those same numbers (grandparents, parents and one friend).
    It has international access enabled (T-Mo) and when she and her grandpa strayed away from my husband and I in Croatia last summer she texted and we found them in minutes. My dad's phone didn't work in Croatia!
    I wouldn't let her have one simply as a toy, but when used responsibly, any age is appropriate.
    04-14-08 03:47 PM
    I seem to be against the grain, but I don't really think that's terribly early. A bit, yes, but it just means they're a bit spoiled. I got my first phone in about ninth grade. I'm in twelfth grade now and I don't feel I'm too young for a Blackberry. Nor do I feel I'd be too young in ninth or tenth grade to get one. You're not a bad parent (as mentioned by someone) by giving your kid a phone early.

If you haven't checked out high schools recently, everyone sorta has a cell phone now. You're really the odd one out when you don't. Not that you're bad for not having one. But you're in the minority.
    04-14-08 03:48 PM
    Every situatyion is different so It Just Depends on the person. I am 20 y/o and I recieved my first cell phone at 13, and it was a regular Nokia phone. I had my own plan, but my parents were paying for it. I was a paperboy so I actually earned enough to pay for my own bill, but my parents saw fit to pay for my bill because I was cost efficient to the house (free babysitter, free house cleaner, etc.) Plus I was doing all of this and mainaining a 3.8 or higher gpa. Not to mention extra cirricular activities at school and church every day. Yes I was a busy body. I barely ever slept, and I liked it that way . Anyway at this age I was also a computer freak. AOL Yahoo MSN Chatrooms etc. You name it I had it LoL.Even just a few years later I used my mothers Laptop as if it was my own (even taking it to school on a daily basis. Most people are concerned about the age, my concern is are they going to use the phone to a reasonable amount of its capacity? At thirteen I would have used a BlackBerry just as well as I use my Curve today. Media player, email, texts, internet, IMs, organizer, etc. I actually would have used it MORE back then because I had so much more going on then I do now. So no matter what age, as long as they have the means wether they pay for it or they get it from family, and as long as they use the device to a reasonable capacity, and they are responsible enough to do the right thing then I think they deserve it. I mean that is one of my pet peeves is when I see some one buy something just to say the have it and dont use it. " Oh I have a 80 GB iPod but I dont know how to put songs on it! I got 10 songs on it that my friend put on there for me!" WTF!? LoL Get your moneys worth out of the products you buy people! LoL
    04-14-08 03:50 PM
    ^^ Which is exactly why I am getting a BB. My parents think I deserve one because of my school work, chores around the house, behavior, etc.

But whatever of what you guys think. Sometimes, us "kids" just strongly dislike how you underestimate us. Most adults will think 'Oh they'll just brake the phone, charge up the bill, and want a new one the next day.' and that we are "spoiled". Well erm, not all of us are like that. But i'm done here, i'm going to go to another thread. Have a good day
    It's not that we underestimate you, it's that adults were once kids like you too.
    04-14-08 03:59 PM
651 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD