I'm 14 and I got a 8130. Just cuz I asked. And j pretty much use it for what its intended cuz I gota job
    But 12
    All they'll do with the phone is show it off to their 7th grade friends
    Yes, because the difference between a 14 and a 12 year old is HUGE. I mean, all the extra life experience.

Geez
    07-19-08 01:38 PM
    We all have our opinions on this issue. I am 14 and I have a 8820 and use it for everything most adults use it for if not more. I always make the high honer roll, with mostly 95's in all my classes, and I have disgraphia, which means I have terrible handwriting and it hurts to write after a short period of time. I use my bb to get my homework done and to organize my school work and my life. Sine a lot of you adults say we don't use all the features on our bb's, please allow me to show you otherwise:

Internet- to research assignments and for my personal use.

Address Book- keeps all of my contacts in one place.

Email- upload essays to google docs, to keep in touch with my family/friends and to receive newsletters.

Texting- to keep in touch with my friends

Media- to listen to music/watch movies

Calendar- keeps me organized by showing my tasks for the day and helps to plan my time accordingly.

Tasks- reminds me of what I have to do and reminds me to do them.

Memo- I do all my homework there and than sync it with yahoo to print out my assignments.

Alarm- gets me up at 4:00am

Calculator and gcalc- helps me figure out math problems.

Password keeper- keeps all my passwords/locker combos safe and in one place.

GPS- to track myself when walking and to help me find locations.

Voice notes- to record my teachers when they start yelling. (my science teacher is my ringtone!)

Viigo- get news on my berry

Mobipocket- to read ebooks

AIM- to keep in touch with my friends

BrickBreaker- to pass the time in math class

As you can see, I use my berry for a lot of things. They might not be all business, but I use it none the less. I pay for the data and the phone. I have not caused any damage to my berry yet and take very good care of it. I don't see any reason why kids shouldn't have berries. I guess it just depends how responsible the kid is with the device. Just please don't tell us we don't use our berries to their full potential, at least I know I do.

-Eric

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-08 01:39 PM
    We all have our opinions on this issue. I am 14 and I have a 8820 and use it for everything most adults use it for if not more. I always make the high honer roll, with mostly 95's in all my classes, and I have disgraphia, which means I have terrible handwriting and it hurts to write after a short period of time. I use my bb to get my homework done and to organize my school work and my life. Sine a lot of you adults say we don't use all the features on our bb's, please allow me to show you otherwise:

Internet- to research assignments and for my personal use.

Address Book- keeps all of my contacts in one place.

Email- upload essays to google docs, to keep in touch with my family/friends and to receive newsletters.

Texting- to keep in touch with my friends

Media- to listen to music/watch movies

Calendar- keeps me organized by showing my tasks for the day and helps to plan my time accordingly.

Tasks- reminds me of what I have to do and reminds me to do them.

Memo- I do all my homework there and than sync it with yahoo to print out my assignments.

Calculator and gcalc- helps me figure out math problems.

Password keeper- keeps all my passwords/locker combos safe and in one place.

GPS- to track myself when walking and to help me find locations.

Voice notes- to record my teachers when they start yelling. (my science teacher is my ringtone!)

Viigo- get news on my berry

Mobipocket- to read ebooks

AIM- to keep in touch with my friends

BrickBreaker- to pass the time in math class

As you can see, I use my berry for a lot of things. They might not be all business, but I use it none the less. I pay for the data and the phone. I have not caused any damage to my berry yet and take very good care of it. I don't see any reason why kids shouldn't have berries. I guess it just depends how responsible the kid is with the device. Just please don't tell us we don't use our berries to their full potential, at least I know I do.

-Eric

thanks for saving me the typing because i use mine for pretty much the same reasons.
    07-19-08 03:27 PM
    Yes, because the difference between a 14 and a 12 year old is HUGE. I mean, all the extra life experience.

Geez
    You just downplayed the difference between highschool and middle school. I'd say that is a pretty big transition period for a kid.

Also, why don't you think 14 year olds should have computers? Are you trying to dumb down the population. I was able to save my allowance and build my own computer at 14. I expect kids these days to do that at 9-10 years old.

Also...
    What the **** are you waking up at 4:00am for?
    07-19-08 03:30 PM
    I don't know how I made it through middle school without a blackberry

07-19-08 03:32 PM
    I wake up at 4 during the school year to take a jog and get homework done before school (I procrastinate, but I get it done). Its weird but I'm more awake during the day when I wake up at 4 than when I wake up at 6.

07-19-08 03:39 PM
    That is nuts. I get up a 7 for work every day and need the mt. dew in the morning to function. I was always good about doing my homework at school during free periods.
    07-19-08 03:46 PM
    if you can afford it what does it matter how old they are. Life is too short, enjoy as much as you can... thats my 2 cents.
    I 100% agree

Children should not have a full on cell phone until they have a job to pay for the phone and bill.
    So in your opinion, i shouldn�t have my phones because i don't pay my own bill? My parents take care of it for me even though I�m no longer a teenager.

Anyway...
    I feel like if you have them means then do for your children. I dont see anything wrong with spoiling your child. Just as long as they understand the word no and they get that they are not always going to get what they want when they want it. You know?
    07-19-08 03:49 PM
    People think I'm crazy, but during the school year, I live on black coffee. I didn't have any free periods last year. Hopefully high school will be better. I tried to get my homework done in math, but I had a psycho math teacher who cried and taught math lessons to the tv. I was too afraid to do it then.

07-19-08 03:52 PM
    I don't know how I made it through middle school without a blackberry

i know right lol...i don't know what i would have used a bb for in middle school...i really don't need it now...i just wanted it...but i would buy it for my child (if i had one) if they wanted it...just because i would want them to have the best...just like i did when i was growin up
    07-19-08 03:53 PM
    People think I'm crazy, but during the school year, I live on black coffee. I didn't have any free periods last year. Hopefully high school will be better. I tried to get my homework done in math, but I had a psycho math teacher who cried and taught math lessons to the tv. I was too afraid to do it then.

This is off topic, but it funny to me. I was addicted to coffee when I was in the 5th grade. If I didn�t get the coffee or at least smell I brewing by 3pm I would get server migraines. It got so bad that I was getting mri�s and cat scans to see what was causing this. I was seeing so many different doctors almost everyday. Just to find out I was addicted to caffeine. My grandma was sneaking and giving me coffee everyday after school. After my mother had told her she didn�t want me drinkin it. lol
    07-19-08 04:00 PM
    If you had never heard of the movie Cujo or can't quote lines from the Godfather.

God I feel old!
    07-19-08 04:00 PM
    This is off topic, but it funny to me. I was addicted to coffee when I was in the 5th grade. If I didn�t get the coffee or at least smell I brewing by 3pm I would get server migraines. It got so bad that I was getting mri�s and cat scans to see what was causing this. I was seeing so many different doctors almost everyday. Just to find out I was addicted to caffeine. My grandma was sneaking and giving me coffee everyday after school. After my mother had told her she didn�t want me drinkin it. lol
    Are you still addicted to it? I know I am

07-19-08 05:12 PM
    Plenty of young kids by me have them starting at the age of 10! They use it for brick breaker and bbm. Its ridiculous. Every person I work with that is in highschool or below has one, or an Iphone.
    07-19-08 05:14 PM
    I don't think elementary school kids should have a bb. That is ridiculous.

07-19-08 05:26 PM
    Are you still addicted to it? I know I am

lol...no i just drink it on occasion...it sometimes helps when im gettin a migraine now a dayz
    07-19-08 06:08 PM
    9 months!!
    07-19-08 06:11 PM
    Plenty of young kids by me have them starting at the age of 10! They use it for brick breaker and bbm. Its ridiculous. Every person I work with that is in highschool or below has one, or an Iphone.
    i know its ridiculous at a lot of malls i see kids that are like 9 walking around with their own iphones texting (i saw the texting app open).
    07-19-08 06:39 PM
    lol...no i just drink it on occasion...it sometimes helps when im gettin a migraine now a dayz
    Did you ever find out what caused your coffee addiction? Maybe it is the same thing that causes the Blackberry addiction

07-19-08 06:51 PM
    Did you ever find out what caused your coffee addiction? Maybe it is the same thing that causes the Blackberry addiction

haha...the blackberry's are going to have to be FCC AND FDA approved now.

Also, I went cold turkey to break my caffeine addiction. Took a lot of Advil but I made it through and went with Gatorade or water every time I got a mt. dew craving. That combined with exercising magically fixed my sleeping problems and also helped me stay awake in school. I am back on the one a day, but when I get the craving I am much better at grabbing the water bottle instead.
    07-19-08 11:29 PM
    ugh! it's so annoying when parents, and grandparents spoil their kids this way, what does she have to look forward when she grows up? nothing she's already had it, and she won't ever be satisfied!
    anyway, I'd say get a phone for basic needs and limited mins. and or texts, but of course get something better (sidekick, or BB) when you are old enough to know how much it cost, and how hard it was to earn that much.
    I'm sorry, I'm sure your boys feel cheated when in reality they are getting the better end of it, but it'd be frustrating that they don't see that yet.
    good luck with that.
    07-20-08 01:24 AM
    @ All of these kids still defending them selves ...
    HONESTLY .. look at this whole thread, when are these kids posting?? soo late at night, and then soo early in the morning!! you are supposed to be on summer break .. get a GF or even a friend or something to take your mind off of this whole thing .. WHY is crackberry.com the last thing that you do and night and the first thing that you do in the morning. find something better to do with your life. i could almost forgive the fact that you are so young and have BB's (tho i still never will (shame on you parents)) but really at your age you are supposed to be CARE FREE .. go hang out with friends .. just wait till you are an adult that needs a BB for your job .. the second 4pm hits on friday you take the battery out of your BB and pretend like it doesnt exist just so you can be with family and friends .. and BRANDON especially .. DUDE get a life you cant go 3 hrs without bumping this thread to the top so you can get a rise out of ppl .. i know playing devils advocate can be fun as you are truely demonstrating, but really .......... drop the BB for a couple of days (no matter how much you depend on it) make some friends and enjoy life for more than electronics .. life does exist somewhere .. maybe even still for you ..
    07-20-08 03:07 AM
    Well, first off I am not a kid.

.M.E. - Who are you to to ask them why they are on crackberry first thing in the morning or last thing at night. They could be up to a lot worse.

Lizh928 - WHat do they have to look forward to???? Come on people its a blackberry not a freakin Rolex. Its a piece of technology that if they do start using while they are young, they can jump into other things faster. Just like me, I had the most expensive phones you could buy from when I was 14, and since then new technology has been a lot easier for me to jump into. Everyone I know asks me for advice when it comes to technology now. And I had plenty of time to study, work and have many, many friends.
    I'm sorry but to me it looks like a lot of you are jealous. Maybe for some of you its hard on the pocket to have a BB and it bothers you that a 12 year old can have something so easily that you have to work hard for.
    Gifts don't spoil children, bad parents do. As long as they are brought up right knowing the value of things they should have as much as you can provide them.
    07-20-08 09:04 AM
    Well, first off I am not a kid.

.M.E. - Who are you to to ask them why they are on crackberry first thing in the morning or last thing at night. They could be up to a lot worse.

Lizh928 - WHat do they have to look forward to???? Come on people its a blackberry not a freakin Rolex. Its a piece of technology that if they do start using while they are young, they can jump into other things faster. Just like me, I had the most expensive phones you could buy from when I was 14, and since then new technology has been a lot easier for me to jump into. Everyone I know asks me for advice when it comes to technology now. And I had plenty of time to study, work and have many, many friends.
    I'm sorry but to me it looks like a lot of you are jealous. Maybe for some of you its hard on the pocket to have a BB and it bothers you that a 12 year old can have something so easily that you have to work hard for.
    Gifts don't spoil children, bad parents do. As long as they are brought up right knowing the value of things they should have as much as you can provide them.
    You are 100% right thank you!!! And m.e., how can we stop defending ourselves when adults like you keep making posts like that. If you are criticizing kids and what time we make posts on cb, you are the one who needs to get a life, my friend.

07-20-08 09:13 AM
    What I don't understand is why are people here saying what someone should have or not have? Even more so what difference does it make if a kid has a blackberry pearl, curve or a regular dumb phone?

I think kids that know how to use phones should have one regardless if it is a BB, treo, sidekick, iphone or just a plain flip phone just for safety and security reasons.. Sure some can argue well when we were kids we didn't have the luxury of having a cell phone and kids now days should not either...is not not a valid reason because times have changed and it was not possible for us to have one.

Whether it is a blackberry curve, pearl, or whatnot does not matter. What if some parent had a black berry curve and given it to their kid when they purchased the Bold? Then the spending large amount of money is a non-issue since the curve was a hand me down.

Thats my take on this subject.
    07-20-08 09:25 AM
651 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD