at the age of 9 and 10 a child should not be far enough from someone resposible for their well being that they would need a cell phone for emergencies, but i could understand airing on the side of caution. A BB though .. you will have a hard time convincing me.
    Why? because you're biased?
    07-16-08 05:04 PM
    And this whole topic, is why you hear the older generations say, The younger generations are so lazy.

Its because like stated above, they just come home, drop there bags, and sit in front of the TV or the computer, or play video games all day. I constantly hear from a lot of my older aunts and uncles that we are so lazy, when they were younger they were playing outside, going around the city, hanging out with there friends, etc.

That is why I personally got my act together young, I worked hard for my money, had a job at 15.5 and I've been practically proving for myself since then.
    07-16-08 05:08 PM
    Why? because you're biased?
    Biased of what? Everything you post is confusing and makes no sense.

It is simple "responsible teenagers" should be spending their summers having fun and enjoying themselves...not glued to a computer, video game, cell phone or TV for that matter. At 12 years old I didnt want anything to do with a cell phone, NO you shouldnt be outside of the car of a responsible adult at 12 and need a cell phone. I understand times have changed-but that is exactly why children act like smart asses like you, b/c you think you know it all and you just dont.

You should not expect your parents to pay for your cell phone which is not necessary. I have a BB so I can keep track of meetings my boss has during the week, my appointments, her appointments, I can contact anyone in my office if I need to thru it no matter where I am.

what do you have it for? As I am sure your parents drive you to doctor appointments or anywhere that you want to go. You obviously have a computer so why the need for the BB?

As for paying your own bill-good for you-even tho its your parents giving you money for the things you should be doing FREE of charge. I did not get an allowance, if I wanted something I did EXTRA things. Just bc your parents give you $50 or making your bed does NOT mean you are paying your bill or are responsible. It means your parents have to back handedly get you to do something responsible.

Wait until you are grown up and you have to make your bed, wake yourself up for work, feed yourself, drive yourself to work and appointments.....THEN say you are responsible. Until then, no 12 year old is "responsible" or needs a BB.

You should be OUTSIDE playing with your friends, reading a book, doing activities NOT inside staring at a computer screen. Sorry that is just how I feel, you dont have to agree-nor do your parents-I think it is absurb that you have a BB-again its my opinion. If your parents are fine with it then so be it.
    07-16-08 05:23 PM
    C'mon. Give the kid a break. Not just standing up for you B. You're doing a great job on your own. Who's to say that BB wielding responsible teens aren't out there having fun in the sunshine and still texting, and browsing, and enjoying their tunes. I've got two teens that had their first cells at 12(Razrs, back when they were new and cool and expensive) and used them pretty much as they use their Curves now(for almost every feature). The alarms get them up in the morning, and to extracurricular meeting and appointments on time. Calendars and scheduling for projects, etc. Young adults(and I use this term mindfully) are often more sophisticated and mature than I myself remember being during those years. So yes, they often need more than just a basic cell phone. So what if it's a BB? They aren't that expensive now and make other coveted gadgets redundant. Plus for my wife and me(as BB users) it was an easy decision to go with the Curve since we are already BB converts. As far as responsibility goes, most of my kids' friends whom I interact with might pleasantly surprise you. Most either have a job for the summer, are doing volunteer work or have internships; and all are 14 or 15 years old. -- Z.
    07-16-08 06:11 PM
    C'mon. Give the kid a break. Not just standing up for you B. You're doing a great job on your own. Who's to say that BB wielding responsible teens aren't out there having fun in the sunshine and still texting, and browsing, and enjoying their tunes. I've got two teens that had their first cells at 12(Razrs, back when they were new and cool and expensive) and used them pretty much as they use their Curves now(for almost every feature). The alarms get them up in the morning, and to extracurricular meeting and appointments on time. Calendars and scheduling for projects, etc. Young adults(and I use this term mindfully) are often more sophisticated and mature than I myself remember being during those years. So yes, they often need more than just a basic cell phone. So what if it's a BB? They aren't that expensive now and make other coveted gadgets redundant. Plus for my wife and me(as BB users) it was an easy decision to go with the Curve since we are already BB converts. As far as responsibility goes, most of my kids' friends whom I interact with might pleasantly surprise you. Most either have a job for the summer, are doing volunteer work or have internships; and all are 14 or 15 years old. -- Z.
    lots of kids and I love to go outside and text and so do I. thank you for bringing up that great point!!!
    Last edited by branden3112; 07-16-08 at 06:41 PM.
    07-16-08 06:32 PM
    Oh for god's sake.

I'm done, this thread is done, it's a never ending circle.
    07-16-08 07:56 PM
    Oh for god's sake.

I'm done, this thread is done, it's a never ending circle.
    What can you expect trying to have a conversation with a 12 y/o
    07-16-08 08:03 PM
    What can you expect trying to have a conversation with a 12 y/o
    ~cracks up laughing~

That rather says it all!
    07-16-08 08:09 PM
    Yeah I agree. This topic is 33 pages long and everything being said twice haha.

But from a 12 year old I hear who they like at school, what there gonna do on the weekend. I don't hear anyone talking about what kinda phone they have, especially being a Blackberry. Take it from me. I have a 12 year old sister.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 10:08 PM
    Yeah I agree. This topic is 33 pages long and everything being said twice haha.

But from a 12 year old I hear who they like at school, what there gonna do on the weekend. I don't hear anyone talking about what kinda phone they have, especially being a Blackberry. Take it from me. I have a 12 year old sister.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ok. what does that have to do with the op's question?
    07-16-08 11:26 PM
    does anyone want to keep this thread going?
    07-17-08 09:36 PM
    ok. what does that have to do with the op's question?
    it doesn't have anything to do with it....its just a fact
    ive already given my input.
    07-17-08 09:51 PM
    a phone is a phone in my opinion.. the fact that its a "loaded" smart phone doesnt make it have a higher suggested age.. be glad your daughter has a nice phone she can get in touch with you with if she needs be... or wrack up the bill with data charges... but who cares... youre not paying the bill right ? =D
    07-17-08 10:04 PM
    a phone is a phone in my opinion.. the fact that its a "loaded" smart phone doesnt make it have a higher suggested age.. be glad your daughter has a nice phone she can get in touch with you with if she needs be... or wrack up the bill with data charges... but who cares... youre not paying the bill right ? =D
    i agree!!!!
    07-17-08 10:11 PM
    yeah and a car is a car right?

its like giving a 15 yr old a bentley.

like other 10000+ people said, if you can't pay for your own bills/phones you shouldnt have a blackberry. its not necessary to give a 15 year old a 500 dollar (is that how much pearls are?) phone.
    07-17-08 10:20 PM
    yeah and a car is a car right?

its like giving a 15 yr old a bentley.

like other 10000+ people said, if you can't pay for your own bills/phones you shouldnt have a blackberry. its not necessary to give a 15 year old a 500 dollar (is that how much pearls are?) phone.
    i pay my own bill and the pearl was free with new contract and i dont lose or break phones. im 12 FYI.
    07-17-08 10:24 PM
    And around and around he goes, never getting the point.

Give up on the thread peeps, it's like a brick wall.
    07-17-08 10:47 PM
    And around and around he goes, never getting the point.

Give up on the thread peeps, it's like a brick wall.
    you guys are like brick walls too.
    07-17-08 11:36 PM
    I got my first smartphone when I turned 16, just got my first BB last week (18 now). I paid for the phones, data plans, and my existing bill since I got my first smartphone. I think it's a little too much to have if you're not even old enough to get a job to pay for it.
    07-17-08 11:45 PM
    i pay my own bill and the pearl was free with new contract and i dont lose or break phones. im 12 FYI.

We know your 12.....
    You don't gotta keep saying it.
    If the poster read the pages, I'm sure they'd see your age about a thousand times.
    07-17-08 11:46 PM

We know your 12.....
    You don't gotta keep saying it.
    If the poster read the pages, I'm sure they'd see your age about a thousand times.

Notice he is the one who bumped this page almost 24 hours after it disappeared....just ignore it
    07-17-08 11:49 PM
    ya im outta this one, its going around and around in circles lol.
    I wish somebody would close this.
    07-18-08 12:05 AM
    why should it be closed?
    07-18-08 01:47 AM
    why should it be closed?
    Because everything that anyone has to say has been said and
    now it's just a dog chasing it's tail
    07-18-08 02:03 AM
    Because everything that anyone has to say has been said and
    now it's just a dog chasing it's tail
    its still entertaining......
    07-18-08 02:13 AM