anyone who says sidekicks a better for kids and that they are cheaper is plain wrong. you can get blackberry's for free if you shop around but the cheapest sidekick is still $200 last time I checked.
    07-15-08 08:51 PM
    anyone who says sidekicks a better for kids and that they are cheaper is plain wrong. you can get blackberry's for free if you shop around but the cheapest sidekick is still $200 last time I checked.
    Get off the sidekick vs. BB stuff. We know exactly where you are going with that. It was brought up once or twice. How about the BB vs. Basic LG flip phone. Now....you see where we are going?

What we continue to say, but you keep ignoring, is that a 12 y/o does not require a BB. Its more phone than any 12 y/o could possibly need. And at age 12, its not about 'want' its all about 'need'. Especially since you don't have a job and you are too young to support yourself. So any money you do make, should be put toward savings or something else. At least that's what any level headed parent would influence.

And again, the topic of this thread is "What age is too young for a child to have a BB". This is not about price, this is not about who pays, this is all about if a 'child' actually requires such a sophisticated phone.
    07-15-08 09:39 PM
    thank you chaz. your correct because they teach formal spelling at school not informal spelling.
    Do they teach the difference between your and you're?
    07-15-08 09:40 PM
    Get off the sidekick vs. BB stuff. We know exactly where you are going with that. It was brought up once or twice. How about the BB vs. Basic LG flip phone. Now....you see where we are going?

What we continue to say, but you keep ignoring, is that a 12 y/o does not require a BB. Its more phone than any 12 y/o could possibly need. And at age 12, its not about 'want' its all about 'need'. Especially since you don't have a job and you are too young to support yourself. So any money you do make, should be put toward savings or something else. At least that's what any level headed parent would influence.

And again, the topic of this thread is "What age is too young for a child to have a BB". This is not about price, this is not about who pays, this is all about if a 'child' actually requires such a sophisticated phone.
    Exactly. I had my first job when I was 12. I was allowed $20 a month spending money and the rest was banked for college. If I threw away $30 for a cell data plan I would be slapped. Of course, I wouldn't be handed a bb at that age either. My big extravagance was a saxophone when I was in gr 10, and I paid half while my parents paid the other. Since I was going to school for music, it was an investment (was about $1500 each in the end).

I just don't get it, although the number of children in this thread choosing electronics over going outside is scary - and sorry but when I see a "where is everyone" post that doesn't tell me that they aren't living at their keyboard. There will be decades of being chained to a desk to come, I'm sad they are choosing to chain themselves to electronics now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 10:20 PM
    I would also say too young but if you were gonna give her a sidekick then why not a pearl. Just because BlackBerry is a business phone doesn't mean a kid can't have one. The Pearl also happens to be BlackBerry's first consumer phone anyways meaning it is less of a business phone and more the average person's phone. Point being, if she is gonna have a cellphone at all, a BlackBerry Pearl is okay.
    07-15-08 10:26 PM
    I'm sorry, but only adults should have something like a Blackberry, but then again, I'm not surprised so many kids have them with the way they are raised today. It's a little scary. I'm not bashing anyone, just an opinion.

07-15-08 10:32 PM
    hasnt this thread been beat to death yet?
    07-15-08 10:39 PM
    When they are old enough to pay for it themselves.
    Close and lock this thread this is the answer.
    07-16-08 12:24 AM
    Why should this be closed? Its a great thread. Where else can you get this wife range of generations all talking about one thing, nowhere.

07-16-08 12:46 AM
    imo for childeren to have a cell phone is one thing but a bb is overkill
    07-16-08 01:44 AM
    Let's see, when I was 12, my parents monitored the internet, watched me online, and knew who I was talking to.. You are on a forum, with people who are 3 to 4 times your age!!! What is so chaotic in your life?? I thought I had a chaotic life trying to manage school, work, money, friends, family, & not to mention, emergencies.. but hey, you, your BB & your palm must be good friends.

The only reason I got a cell phone at 12 is so my parents could contact me.. and now, if I don't answer my phone after 2 or 3 tries from my parents (I am almost, 18, too) they call my friends looking for me.. Gotta learn your boundaries, kid.
    07-16-08 02:13 AM
    Why should this be closed? Its a great thread. Where else can you get this wife range of generations all talking about one thing, nowhere.

Based on the handfull of children in this thread, i'd say there is a lot of places (threads at CrackBerry) that a wide range of generations are talking about one thing. Unless you kids have been grounded to this thread....and this thread only.
    07-16-08 07:15 AM
    IMHO, the first time someone should have a cell phone, not even a Blackberry, is when they first get their drivers liscense. And I'm not even too sure about that anymore with the lack of responsibility I see in teenage drivers. I'm not some old man complaining about kids. I'm 23, and didn't have my first cell until I was 16 and had a job. Even then, it was a very basic plan with just enough minutes for emergencies. I now have a BB to organize my life since I am in grad school and balance work, three jobs, in addition to trying to have a social life.

Like I said, I'm 23, and STILL had to justify to my parents getting a BB, which I pay for every momth.

07-16-08 08:06 AM
    All I can say is perhaps summer should be for remedial spelling and grammar. When Mom and Pop stop paying for beds to be made, one needs spelling and grammar to get and maintain a job.

I'm amazed that some parents don't oversee the management of allowances - money into savings, money to church/charity, etc. before spending on "wants".

I'm sad that there's so many kids "living" in the forums, online, hidden in their bedrooms on their BBs, etc. during summer break instead of being outside playing or doing something far more constructive.

It's concerning, to me at least, that a 12 year old was posting "is anyone there" - looking for someone to talk to on what is basically an anonymous forum at 8:30pm at night. And people wonder why predators find it so easy. It rather makes the point of why an unsupervised phone or computer at such a young age is inappropriate.

I'm all for electronic gadgets. I own gadgets I certainly don't need. I love the next generation of gadgets like everyone else. I admit to having two BB's - one from work and my personal curve. I work, pay my bills, give to charity, and then, if I have money left, to splurge. But when gadgets are used at the expense of being out "living" and "experiencing" and "engaging", of talking to friends face to face, laying in the grass and finding pictures in the clouds, playing ball, skateboarding, giggling and enjoying being a kid, particularly at such a young age, it's gone a bit too far.

At 12, I was babysitting and earning my own money, chores weren't "compensated", they were expected, just as good grades were (no $'s for grades here) and even then I was accountable for it's management to my parents who assured that I understood the necessity of savings, charity, and needs, before "wants".

Enjoy the BB, but get off your ****, go get some fresh air, and remember that there are real people and real life out there.
    Last edited by turtletrackz; 07-16-08 at 12:04 PM. Reason: oops.. didn't know b*tt was censored!
    07-16-08 12:01 PM
    Totally agree. I know times have changed, but with a bb parents lose all control over what their kids are doing It's hard enough to keep an eye on things happening on the computer in your own home.
    07-16-08 12:14 PM
    I have to agree with the money for grades and chores around the house. When my parents are paying my food and for a roof over my head, I was expected to help around the house, and not compensated for it. I certainly wasn't being handed $50 for it.

It's a scary thing...
    07-16-08 01:57 PM
    I have to agree with the money for grades and chores around the house. When my parents are paying my food and for a roof over my head, I was expected to help around the house, and not compensated for it. I certainly wasn't being handed $50 for it.

It's a scary thing...
    why is that scary my 10 year old sister gets $40 every month as cash that she spends on webkinz. she gets a new webkinz every week. she has like 40 or 50 of them.
    Last edited by branden3112; 07-16-08 at 02:57 PM.
    07-16-08 02:30 PM
    do they have data plans? also both of my parents have BB's that's another reason i have a BB, I have been using my dads blackberry for the last 2 years while i had junky nokia PAYG flip phones and finally my dad got me my own and my mom is over the fact that i got a blackberry even though im 12.
    LMFAO!!
    they gave you phones starting at the age of 10 .. someone needs to talk to your parents i think ..
    07-16-08 03:28 PM
    why is that scary my 10 year old sister gets $40 every month as cash that she spends on webkinz. she gets a new webkinz every week. she has like 40 or 50 of them.
    Good lord. It's scary that you are being paid money by your parents to do things around the house you should be doing anyway since your parents put a roof over your head and food in your mouth.

It's like a brick wall, you are 12 (as you have said over. And over. AND OVER) and you just don't get it. One day, hopefully, you will.

That money should be put aside for post secondary education (or a good portion of that money). What you fail to see is that you aren't paying your data plan, your parents are because they pay the allowance to you - for work you should be doing anyway for no charge as a functioning member of the household.
    07-16-08 03:38 PM
    some of my friends have had phone with unlimited texting since they were 9.
    07-16-08 03:47 PM
    some of my friends have had phone with unlimited texting since they were 9.
    Dumb parents.
    07-16-08 03:53 PM
    Good lord. It's scary that you are being paid money by your parents to do things around the house you should be doing anyway since your parents put a roof over your head and food in your mouth.

It's like a brick wall, you are 12 (as you have said over. And over. AND OVER) and you just don't get it. One day, hopefully, you will.

That money should be put aside for post secondary education (or a good portion of that money). What you fail to see is that you aren't paying your data plan, your parents are because they pay the allowance to you - for work you should be doing anyway for no charge as a functioning member of the household.
    I have to agree 100%.

Growing up we had chores to do. They weren't for allowance, they were 'just because' and my father was raising us on his own. So he'd tell us that its just us (Him, my sister, and I) and we have to work together to have a nice place to live.

Every week my sister and I cleaned the whole house. I had lawn duty and dog **** duty too. My sister had some other chores too. When dad came home from the grocery store, we had to unload the car and put everything away. Before dinner, one of us had to set the table. When dinner was done, one of us had to clean the dishes. My sister and I did the laundry 50% of the time. We shoveled the snow too. etc etc etc.

Once in a while my father would give me 'allowance' if I did some extra stuff around the house. But when it came to chores, those were just my responsibilities of the house.

For some reason, kids these days don't think they should have to do such things. And if they do, they think they should get paid. GREAT...we've brainwashed our children into thinking their skills of picking up dog **** are valuable.

Example: My GF's 13 y/o daughter for the longest time had to clean the bathrooms on the weekend. This meant cleaning the toilet, cleaning the counter, and emptying the trash. WHEW...so tough. She didn't have to clean the floor, clean the mirrors, or scrub the shower/tub. Until I moved in...LOL

Now my GF has her do the bathrooms...totally. And also empty the dishwasher after its run. WHEW...big deal.

And she still complains how its 'not fair'. Worthless kid. Unfortunately I can only say so much about it since i'm just her half-sister's baby daddy.

She doesn't realize that I go out and pick up the groceries, her mother does the cooking, and she just walks in, sits down, eats, gets up, and leaves the room. Somehow i'm responsible for cleaning the dishes. Lazy f'n kid.
    07-16-08 04:01 PM
    LMFAO!!
    they gave you phones starting at the age of 10 .. someone needs to talk to your parents i think ..

My GF"s daughter had a phone around 11 I think. But it was for emergencies only and for her to take to dance class.

Now my GF got her a rumor and a Sero plan. Even though its pretty cheap, I don't think a 13 y/o needs unlimited texting and a phone with a querty keyboard.
    07-16-08 04:04 PM
    I think what you're saying is fair, but the QWERTY keyboard bit seems a little stupid.. why would that matter at all? It makes texting easier and getting around the web easier too.

I have to say that children these days do get a little... lazy. Despite being one myself, my mother is a single mother and I pay for everything I've got - which is why I have my graphic design thingy. I wouldn't have half of what I've got now. It's the driving force behind me For example, I worked out my BB plan would eventually cost �675 - so I made �700 and gave her the whole lot before she signed the contract.

I've got friends who walk into their house, dump their bags and have their parents kiss their feet, while they sit in front of the telly. Then they get SHOCKED when they come to my house and maybe have to help keep the dishes, or set the table - for a meal they're about to eat!

To be honest, it may sound a little weird coming from a kid but I can assure you I'm pretty far from norm, I think that a lot of kids need a good kick up the �ss and put in there place. Then again, so do a lot of parents. I'd love to give my kids everything they want, but no way am I going to be a pushover.

Lloyd

PS: Also, what is all this about keeping track of what your kids are doing? We're allowed a little privacy. Takes me back to 1984... I'm glad my parents trust me, I think it's a little shallow that one (ie the parent) feels the need to be in control all of the time.
    Last edited by Lloyd_Humph; 07-16-08 at 04:31 PM.
    07-16-08 04:26 PM
    at the age of 9 and 10 a child should not be far enough from someone resposible for their well being that they would need a cell phone for emergencies, but i could understand airing on the side of caution. A BB though .. you will have a hard time convincing me.
    07-16-08 04:26 PM
651 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD