Lucky! I want a job really bad.
    I hate my job tho.......i get $5.50 an hour.....so since I drive i make about $0.50 an hour...since gas is so damn expensive...
    07-10-08 02:55 PM
    were not lazy we just do different stuff and in different ways.
    like drawing so I go to parks and sit and draw, I read books (i've read every book in our highschool library!! I own over 200 of them myself, I read 200+ words a minute) I cook, I do lathe work (make wooden bowl, vases, stools, etc.)
    07-10-08 02:56 PM
    I hate my job tho.......i get $5.50 an hour.....so since I drive i make about $0.50 an hour...since gas is so damn expensive...
    why even bother to go then?
    07-10-08 03:00 PM
    why even bother to go then?
    i work for my dad.......i'm kinda ****ed sideways.......but i can stand it it is a job and many kids for kill for my job.....so i'm sticking with it untill i graduate in a year and a half
    07-10-08 03:03 PM
    Remind me how this is relevant to the topic of the thread?
    07-10-08 03:07 PM
    I don't know........i think we got off topic......
    07-10-08 03:08 PM
    its regarding how young kids should get phones.
    07-10-08 03:08 PM
    Your husband, her biological father, should've stepped in and told his parents that what they did was out of line. He then should've made the daughter return the phone and get a regular flip phone. I mean regardless of who gave what to your step daughter you and your husband still have a say so on the gift. Does your husband feel the way that you do? If so then what is stopping you guys from having her return it? If not then you are pretty much SOL!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 03:20 PM
    Use their imagination.

There is way more to do out there than play sports. Just like there is way more to do than sit in front of a computer all day.

Its that kind of attitude that strengthens my argument that kids these days are lazy.
    First, I gotta say this is a great thread. Where else can you get this kind of discussion, especially cross-generational like this?

As I said before my kids are 14 and 17 and pretty well adjusted. My wife and I have long struggled with these issues. Are our kids lazy? How much is too much (both stuff and technology)? I know they don't do the same things we did as kids. They don't just go out and ride bikes or play sports with their friends like we did. The certainly seem to spend a lot of time surfing/IMing/texting. On the other hand their lives are a lot more structured than ours were; every sport is organized, there is a practice everytime you turn around, etc. On balance I guess my kids are different than I was but not necessarily lazier.

As for not socially interacting, thats not so simple either. You could argue that this technology keeps them better connected. It would be a bad thing if kids only interacted via texting/IM, but my kids also do a lot of face to face socializing (which we encouirage and support). Their social skills are pretty good. I am reluctant to criticize too harshly just because things now are different. Only time will tell.
    07-10-08 03:22 PM
    I just got my first BB two weeks ago and I'm 20
    07-10-08 03:23 PM
    First, I gotta say this is a great thread. Where else can you get this kind of discussion, especially cross-generational like this?

As I said before my kids are 14 and 17 and pretty well adjusted. My wife and I have long struggled with these issues. Are our kids lazy? How much is too much (both stuff and technology)? I know they don't do the same things we did as kids. They don't just go out and ride bikes or play sports with their friends like we did. The certainly seem to spend a lot of time surfing/IMing/texting. On the other hand their lives are a lot more structured than ours were; every sport is organized, there is a practice everytime you turn around, etc. On balance I guess my kids are different than I was but not necessarily lazier.

As for not socially interacting, thats not so simple either. You could argue that this technology keeps them better connected. It would be a bad thing if kids only interacted via texting/IM, but my kids also do a lot of face to face socializing (which we encouirage and support). Their social skills are pretty good. I am reluctant to criticize too harshly just because things now are different. Only time will tell.
    i agree totally
    07-10-08 03:26 PM
    where is everyone?
    07-10-08 03:42 PM
    ooook. lets keep it nice, shall we?
    07-10-08 04:10 PM
    what the???

some of the participants in this thread are proof of the painful side effects some members have to bear; when the members of the site grow in number. why? because along with a larger pool of members...comes a larger pool of people with an i.q. hovering around the single digits.
    07-10-08 04:18 PM
    what the???

some of the participants in this thread are proof of the painful side effects some members have to bear; when the members of the site grow in number. why? because along with a larger pool of members...comes a larger pool of people with an i.q. hovering around the single digits.
    Oh my god.....quoted for truth.

As far as where everyone was? At my job, in my case.

If I can chime in, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 needs a Berry. If a kid 16-18 gets one and has a job and pays it themselves, fine, I can see that, and at that age I was so busy with school, band, and a job it would have been handy (I lived for my dayplanner).

However, 12 is a little young to be given a tool like a Berry. I mean, I am 33 and had a mortgage and full time job and *I* don't tap the full potential. I can see a 12 year old with a regular phone, absolutely, but handing a Berry to a kid that age is nothing more than a status symbol for the kid AND the parent - and believe me the parent is enjoying the fact their little Johnny has a better phone than their friends because it makes them look better in the eyes of those who view the BlackBerry as a status symbol.

How did all of our generations function without push email when all we could do was read a book, go outside and play and use our imaginations? I remember riding my bike with friends playing Chips
    07-10-08 06:27 PM
    16 is probably the youngest I would go. I'm going to be leaving my BB behind for two years and my little sister who will be 14, nearly 15, is going to take it over (supposedly), but I will have none of it. It's just way too much phone for her ya know?
    07-10-08 07:44 PM
    what the???

Larger group means more varying opinions. There is nothing wrong with that. It's when the members start insulting other members with stuff like: "people with an iq hovering around the single digits" that truly shows who can participate in a conversation and who is not mature enough.

07-10-08 08:13 PM
    Oh my god.....quoted for truth.

As far as where everyone was? At my job, in my case.

If I can chime in, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 needs a Berry. If a kid 16-18 gets one and has a job and pays it themselves, fine, I can see that, and at that age I was so busy with school, band, and a job it would have been handy (I lived for my dayplanner).

However, 12 is a little young to be given a tool like a Berry. I mean, I am 33 and had a mortgage and full time job and *I* don't tap the full potential. I can see a 12 year old with a regular phone, absolutely, but handing a Berry to a kid that age is nothing more than a status symbol for the kid AND the parent - and believe me the parent is enjoying the fact their little Johnny has a better phone than their friends because it makes them look better in the eyes of those who view the BlackBerry as a status symbol.

How did all of our generations function without push email when all we could do was read a book, go outside and play and use our imaginations? I remember riding my bike with friends playing Chips
    i use every program on my blackberry and im 12
    07-10-08 08:24 PM
    ooook. lets keep it nice, shall we?
    thanks for stepping in
    07-10-08 08:25 PM
    14 here and use every feature on my bb every day!

07-10-08 08:28 PM
    Nobody said anything about using all the apps. They said using it to its full potential, which i'm sure you don't. Unless you sync your calendar full of play dates.
    07-10-08 08:30 PM
    14 here and use every feature on my bb every day!

why is because we are young that you think we wont use every feature of our blackberry, most adults don't use all the feature of their blackberry.
    07-10-08 08:31 PM
    OK i am trying really hard here not to be upset at my inlaws.My step Daughter whom they spoil incessantly and make my 2 boys feel like crap have done the ultimate in my book for now.Here is the thing,she is 12 almost 13 in july and they went and bought her a BB pearl!!!!
    Now I was gonna get her a sidekick so she can text and all cause she does that and she has unlimited texting(they pay her bill)Now I am 31 and I just now got me a curve and My husband who is 36 does not have one.So here is my question,anyone else think she is too young for this phone?
    I dont know what to say or do.Now I know she will not have internet(they think she dont need that but needs this phone-go figure)but still this phone is loaded and i am really wondering if i should worry about it.

any help would be great

thanks

U can pin me too if youd like to talk
    242f35d9
    I didnt read this entire thread- more like 3 pages of it. I cant say that 12 is an inappropriate age to have a cell phone- my niece is 9 and she has one and I know of children even younger that have them. I think the decision should be based upon individual factors- not solely related to age.

But on another note, the fact that it's a BB is actually minimal compared to the issue of you being ready to pull your own hair out over it. Also, lets not forget that you have 2 other children. I think what is being missed here is, sad/harsh as it may seem, but the in-laws dont have to do squat for the other 2 children.

My son's wife's family treats his daughter like she is some sort of outcast because she is not "related" to them. I understand what you may be feeling and it's heart wrenching to see children who share a home together be treated so differently by other family members.

Apparently the in-laws dont seem to get that you all are a family and should not be tearing that structure apart. Also, what about your step-daughters father? IMHO, if he is allowing her to have whatever-whenever, then this problem will only magnify.

I think a family sit down is in order and I'm including her mom also in my thought process. I dont know what kind of relationship you have with your step-daughters mom; hopefully it's one in which she may understand how this is affecting the family.

I wish you and your family the best with this situation.
    07-10-08 08:34 PM
    why is because we are young that you think we wont use every feature of our blackberry, most adults don't use all the feature of their blackberry.
    Because some features are geared toward professionals. Like BEC. No 12 y/o needs those kind of features unless his family runs an exchange server in their home for their family network.
    I agree. Both kids and adults use their bb's for different things. A adult might use it for banking, I use it for school. The point is, no matter our age, we still do use our bb's to the fullest!

651 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD