I have seen similar threads pop up in the past, but don't believe any have asked this specific question.
    I have a daughter who will be 10 years old soon and she had been asking for a phone.
    I bought her an iPod touch 2 Christmases ago so that she could browse the net, down load music and video and also be able to email and text her friends.
    My other rational was so that I could see how responsible she would be with it and not break it in the first few months. Well after more than a year and a half I am proud to see she has been very good at taking care of her introductory device.

My question to you the Crackberry community is. At what age do you get your kids phone and why? Also what kinds of conditions and rules have you imposed on them.
    My daughter is a good kid and hard worker but for the life of me I don't understand why a child needs a smart phone. At least not until they are in secondary school and more independent.
    I have been debating get my daughter a used phone that does not have a voice plan but she can still use the other features when she is in a wifi area. Then when she is a bit older and has taken care of the phone I will get it set up for voice.

Anyway I would like to hear your opinions and stories.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:01 PM
    I got my first phone when I was 17 in first year university. Kids don't need phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10.
    04-10-13 06:11 PM
    I set middle school as the barrier. They usually start doing things at school events and going to movies without parents at that time. Just easier and with BBM they can't say they didn't get the message and I know if the read it.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:14 PM
    I got my phone at 7, now I'm 15 and own a Successful IT Consultancy Company in the State of Missouri.
    04-10-13 06:15 PM
    Wait as long as possible and give them hand me downs. My kids go through phones like water. Makes me sick. lol
    04-10-13 06:48 PM
    I have seen similar threads pop up in the past, but don't believe any have asked this specific question.
    I have a daughter who will be 10 years old soon and she had been asking for a phone.
    I bought her an iPod touch 2 Christmases ago so that she could browse the net, down load music and video and also be able to email and text her friends.
    My other rational was so that I could see how responsible she would be with it and not break it in the first few months. Well after more than a year and a half I am proud to see she has been very good at taking care of her introductory device.

My question to you the Crackberry community is. At what age do you get your kids phone and why? Also what kinds of conditions and rules have you imposed on them.
    My daughter is a good kid and hard worker but for the life of me I don't understand why a child needs a smart phone. At least not until they are in secondary school and more independent.
    I have been debating get my daughter a used phone that does not have a voice plan but she can still use the other features when she is in a wifi area. Then when she is a bit older and has taken care of the phone I will get it set up for voice.

Anyway I would like to hear your opinions and stories.
    Thanks in advance for the input.

Posted via CB10
    She's your kid. It's up to you to decide if a phone would be beneficial for her or not. You shouldn't be comparing her to other people's kids because you know her better than a bunch of random strangers on the internet.

No one needs a cell phone; but it does make life easier.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:49 PM
    If you Google for the answer, you will find that parenting gurus advise as late as possible, on real needs' basis etc. These days, it's not just a phone that makes calls and texts. It usually involves a smartphone with access to social media and games.

Unless you have faith that you've already covered all grounds in educating your child how not to behave on social media and how much time he or she should spend on games etc, then you are ready. Otherwise, the phone would be your constant battle.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 06:56 PM
    For us its 12....when they start going to jr high.
    04-10-13 07:00 PM
    I got my first smartphone in 8th grade, the curve 8530 on virgin mobile. I had plenty of basic flip phones before that but I don't really count those.
    04-10-13 07:03 PM
    At 10 get a basic dumbphone. I'd say something used or a hand me down (that's what I got at that age) but since new dumbphones are literally �10 these days anyway just pick one of those up. Basic plan with some calls and texts. Sorted. At maybe 13 onwards if they want a better phone you can look at a bit of an upgrade. IMHO anyway.

I wouldn't put any strict restrictions on use though, that just ruins the fun. Obviously when you get to the stage of buying a smartphone talk about being safe online, but other than that I wouldn't say to make any stupid rules about only being able to take it in certain rooms and use it during certain times or whatever.
    Last edited by 2 Phonez; 04-10-13 at 08:08 PM.
    04-10-13 07:27 PM
    My daughter got her Curve at 12 (beginning of grade 8) since she and my younger son were taking the school bus and spending some time alone at home. She is limited to not keeping it in her room, and it shouldn't be used more than absolutely necessary. We are ok with her BBM'ing/texting her friends as long as her hwk and chores are done first.

Good luck with your daughter.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:27 PM
    I got my first phone in 6th Grade l, a LG Shine, and the a Samsung flight 2 in 7th and a BlackBerry 9800 for 8th grade. I loved my 9800. I'd say just start in Middle school and being teaching them that social networks aren't good and cause problems, so teach her the ups and downs of the Internet before it's too late. Plus children listen and learn more than teenagers. I should know hah.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:28 PM
    I got my first, Mickey mouse Sony Ericsson, when I was 14. I was the first of all my mates to get one and was mainly due to family troubles and needing to contact parents.

I can't pretend to understand your situation but I would hold on for as long as possible. If she is often by herself or what have you definitely.

When she does get one, make sure it's a BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 07:59 PM
    High school.
    04-10-13 08:03 PM
    One rule that needs to be imposed to help with spending quality time with family members - no using of gadgets at meal times.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:14 PM
    We got our kids their first cell phone when they got their driver's license. Of course, back then, there weren't any smartphones out - PDAs and phones were separate items back then.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 08:22 PM
    Grade 11?

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:05 PM
    12 in my household. I mentioned this in a previous thread this morning. With BBM, Storymaker, and the hub, the Z10 makes a great family phone

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:12 PM
    I got one when I had my own source of income. My parents never gave me or my brothers a phone. But pay phones were around still unlike now. Lol

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    04-10-13 09:13 PM
    It can depend on the kid, too. My older daughter is extremely responsible and has a busy extracurricular schedule. My younger one, not so much.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:16 PM
    I got my first phone a 10 and I didn't even need it . It was just a waste of money . I reccomend getting her one when she goes in to grade 9 .
    04-10-13 09:17 PM
    My child's first phone was at the age of 7, strictly for safety reasons when they started to take the school bus. It was one of the 4 buttons deals that had the word Dad for button #1 the word Mom #2, Police #3 and a Fire and Cross symbol for Paramedics as button #4. It was GPS 911 enabled.

At 10 they were allowed to get a MyTouch. Now they have the Samsung S3. There have been times when their phone was lost that they used my old 9810 and the 9360.

At one point (2002) I got us both Nextels just to be able to "chirp" and be in "immediate" contact with each other. Yes I'm paranoid that way.

Since the plans have always been unlimited the only rules were " hey your mom and I can see everything you text, and the moment we can't reach you the phones ours."
    ErinnM likes this.
    04-10-13 09:20 PM
    I got my first dumb phone when I went to high school at 14. I had to wait until I could afford my own smart phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:25 PM
    I bought my first cellphone at 16 after I got a job. It made sense at that point anyway as I was in high school, had a car, etc. I don't see the need for a 10 year old. I'd probably start with a cheapo flip phone when she starts going out with her friends unsupervised, etc. so she can get a hold of you. I wouldn't go smartphone until later. This is obviously just my opinion. She's your kid and only you know your situation and what may work best.

As ErinnM said there were payphones everywhere when I was hanging around malls so I would just do the 1-800-Collect thing and when it asked for my name I'd say as quickly as possible, "MomPickMeUpAt5Bye". Oh the 90's...
    Last edited by ashykat; 04-10-13 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Added nostalgic payphone reference.
    BerryWife likes this.
    04-10-13 09:26 PM
    My mom got my oldest son a phone when he was 13 - over my objections. She said she was paying for it and it was just so she could contact him and make pick up arrangements. And boy did she pay. His first bill was about $450. She hadn't gotten him a texting plan because he wasn't supposed to be texting.

Depends totally on your child and your family - but I feel the later the better - and that it's much better if they have to pay for at least half of it themselves.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:38 PM
37 12