According to Canalys, TCL was number 5 in North America in terms of smartphone units shipped in Q1 of 2019. https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/-no...ne-market-Q119

TCL shipped 1.4 million units in North America in Q1 vs 1.1 million in the same period last year. That's an increase of 31%. Of course, that includes the Palm, Alcatel and BlackBerry brands, but it's notable that, with Apple at number one, only three Android OEMs (Samsung, LG and Lenovo) were ranked higher. TCL had 4% of shipments and the total for Google, Motorola, OnePlus, Huawei, Nokia, Sony, Asus, Blu, and all the others amounted to only 2.5 million units. Yes, that means that NONE of those OEMs shipped a total of 1.4 million units in Q1 in NA, and it's more likely than not that none shipped over 1M.

Presumably, a decent % of TCL's 1.4 million units were Blackberry Mobile, as the Alcatel 7 hasn't made a lot of top 10 lists, unlike the KEY2 LE (https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/334207...android-phones)

We're Number 5! (In NA in Q1)-north-american-q1-smartphone-market.png

Overall, unit sales for all smartphones were down a whopping 18% to a five-year low! That more than explains Blackberry Mobile's decision to allow more demand to build before releasing future phones, and Blackberry Limited's decision to reduce costs and expectations for its Android app business.

It's worth reflecting that TCL wanted the Blackberry Brand so that it could stand out and survive the inevitable consolidation that was going to take place in the lower tiers of the smartphone market. While they certainly haven't taken the market by storm as some (including them) might have hoped, perhaps the investment is paying off strategically, in that they are still in the game while other niche players are struggling even more than they are.

Them's the facts, as reported by Canalys. Feel free to pick apart my reasoning, as I'm sure you all will.
    05-10-19 01:08 AM
    Still think TCL means mostly Alcatel affordable phones.
    BlackBerry exclusive apps like Dtek or Camera download number in Google Play is still above 1 million and under 5 millions since 2016.

No proof that the increase in these sales numbers is caused by BlackBerry branded phones.
    05-10-19 01:57 AM
    TCL stands out from other chinese brand is important - BB definitely contribute to its success due unique PKB in the field (not everybody can make good PKB, patented or MFG know how). China mobile got banned in US, huawei OS might not populize as they wished. TCL should utilize their lead in the pack and make sure not fall behind in game of 5G (security would be the key for brand recognition... integrate together with IoT, such as TV, car, etc. work with BB should have more chips fall into places than others).
    05-10-19 04:24 AM
    by the way, Apple shipped 4.5 million XR in Q1, TCL achieve 1/3 of XR unit sell is nothing to be sneered at IMHO. BB is back!
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/disc...tes-say#latest
    05-10-19 04:32 AM
    Still think TCL means mostly Alcatel affordable phones.
    BlackBerry exclusive apps like Dtek or Camera download number in Google Play is still above 1 million and under 5 millions since 2016.

No proof that the increase in these sales numbers is caused by BlackBerry branded phones.
    According to wccftech: "TCL grabbed the fifth spot with 4 percent of the market, presumably because of BlackBerry."

Download numbers for pre-installed apps is highly unreliable.
    the_boon and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    05-10-19 05:35 AM
    So, in 24 hours we spot a new device BBJ100, spot a Verizon-branded KEY² LE, and find out TCL shipments up 33% in North America.

Not a bad day.
    05-10-19 05:45 AM
    You are a heretic.
    05-10-19 06:06 AM

It's worth reflecting that TCL wanted the Blackberry Brand so that it could stand out and survive the inevitable consolidation that was going to take place in the lower tiers of the smartphone market. While they certainly haven't taken the market by storm as some (including them) might have hoped, perhaps the investment is paying off strategically, in that they are still in the game while other niche players are struggling even more than they are.
    Verizon now has two TCL phones on their front lines... in the past TCL was only a prepaid option. But that's the thing, Alactel now has two or three devices on every major carrier or those prepaid resell carriers. This growth is in $80 - $100 phones, not BBMo.

I'm more surprised by the success that Motorola is having here... Their focus on quality $150 - $500 phones is paying off for them (at least in sales).

But yeah an almost 20% drop in YoY sales, and the 65% drop in the "others" share is also very telling about the future of the market.

Very different from the Global numbers...
    We're Number 5! (In NA in Q1)-smartphone-market-share-q1-2019.png
    Huawei, Oppo and Vivo don't even show up in the US, but are huge part of global sales.

Also of note BBK Group (which owns OPPO, Realme, vivo and OnePlus brands) is collectively the world’s third largest manufacturer. So looking at it, there are really just four companies that are likely to survive this phase of consolidation. Lenovo/Motorola might if somehow the other "two" big Chinese groups can be kept out of the US market. But OnePlus has already planted a flag with T-Mobile and it's been HUGELY successful. I doubt that Verizon and At&T can ignore that for long.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-10-19 08:40 AM
    This growth is in $80 - $100 phones, not BBMo.
    We can speculate, but there is no way of knowing what the BBMo contribution is. Either way, if TCL mobile is doing well, it certainly can't hurt BBMo.

Let's just enjoy this last 24 hours of good news!
    idssteve likes this.
    05-10-19 08:53 AM
    Verizon now has two TCL phones on their front lines... in the past TCL was only a prepaid option. But that's the thing, Alactel now has two or three devices on every major carrier or those prepaid resell carriers. This growth is in $80 - $100 phones, not BBMo.

I'm more surprised by the success that Motorola is having here... Their focus on quality $150 - $500 phones is paying off for them (at least in sales).

But yeah an almost 20% drop in YoY sales, and the 65% drop in the "others" share is also very telling about the future of the market.

Very different from the Global numbers...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smartphone-Market-Share-Q1-2019.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	444305
    Huawei, Oppo and Vivo don't even show up in the US, but are huge part of global sales.

Also of note BBK Group (which owns OPPO, Realme, vivo and OnePlus brands) is collectively the world’s third largest manufacturer. So looking at it, there are really just four companies that are likely to survive this phase of consolidation. Lenovo/Motorola might if somehow the other "two" big Chinese groups can be kept out of the US market. But OnePlus has already planted a flag with T-Mobile and it's been HUGELY successful. I doubt that Verizon and At&T can ignore that for long.
    Why are you deflecting to another data source not spoken of in the article provided? Seems like it's an attempt to change the narrative to your usual disdain for most things BlackBerry. Is it really that suspect that some people would and do still enjoy and value a PKB and that the Key devices and what BlackBerry Mobile is doing is overall actually pretty damn good? Do you currently own any Key device?
    05-10-19 08:53 AM
    So, in 24 hours we spot a new device BBJ100, spot a Verizon-branded KEY² LE, and find out TCL shipments up 33% in North America.

Not a bad day.
    There certainly does seem to be some reason for optimism. I would have settled for my newly purchased Key2 having a April 2019 build date as sufficient...so this is all gravy as far as I'm concerned.
    05-10-19 11:05 AM
    There certainly does seem to be some reason for optimism. I would have settled for my newly purchased Key2 having a April 2019 build date as sufficient...so this is all gravy as far as I'm concerned.
    Hey, now we have 4 good things in 24 hours. Lets keep this rolling!
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-10-19 11:07 AM
    Hey, now we have 4 good things in 24 hours. Lets keep this rolling!
    5 - It's Friday. 😜
    05-10-19 12:06 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if much of this was due to devices like the Alcatel Onyx which launched a few months ago and have support from carriers like AT&T and Verizon. These are budget devices so I assume they'd be popular in the rest of North America as well.

The only BlackBerry device that launched around Q1 2019 was the Key2 LE but I don't think any North American carrier is selling that. Still, TCL regaining marketshare could help all of their brands.
    05-10-19 01:40 PM
    another hint - amazon was out of BlackBerry Patent Print t-shirt for about a year. It just start on sale again about 1 month ago. 21 USD is a bit steep, but can'r resist and ordered 4 ;-). (old BB patent with PKB). tide start to turn.
    05-10-19 03:38 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if much of this was due to devices like the Alcatel Onyx which launched a few months ago and have support from carriers like AT&T and Verizon. These are budget devices so I assume they'd be popular in the rest of North America as well.

The only BlackBerry device that launched around Q1 2019 was the Key2 LE but I don't think any North American carrier is selling that. Still, TCL regaining marketshare could help all of their brands.
    I thought I read somewhere a while back that U.S. customers mostly purchase premium/high-end phones. If this is true, maybe the budget phones from TCL accounted for much less of total sales for TCL? Dunno. Just speculating.
    05-10-19 08:08 PM
    It's still true, but somewhat less true than a few years ago. The Moto G and the LG Stylo are very popular carrier/unlocked phones that are midrange and affordable.

But those are $300 phones - there isn't much of a market for phones in between that price range and the $700+ flagships in the US, and unfortunately that's where BBMo sits.
    05-10-19 08:23 PM
    I thought I read somewhere a while back that U.S. customers mostly purchase premium/high-end phones. If this is true, maybe the budget phones from TCL accounted for much less of total sales for TCL? Dunno. Just speculating.
    My instincts here in Florida tell me that people still buy premium high end phones from carriers on monthly payments since that’s easier than paying up front cost of mid tier phones. Also carriers typically only support enhanced calling features on premium carrier sold devices.
    05-10-19 08:54 PM
    This means peak-marketshare for most of the market of smartphones. It also means there's no point in upgrading (replacing) perfectly functioning (after a factory reset) devices after two years. More like after five or ten (if you take real good care of it). I use ziplocks to prevent water damage when outside in the rain, and a good case, plus tempered glass screen protectors. Saved the freaking day too many times to count.

I honestly don't know when my next "upgrade" will be. I'll certainly buy it outright too. It'll be a blackberry android device.
    05-12-19 05:12 AM
    According to wccftech: "TCL grabbed the fifth spot with 4 percent of the market, presumably because of BlackBerry."

Download numbers for pre-installed apps is highly unreliable.
    Somehow I missed this the first time I read through this thread. It's like another little goodie for me.
    05-13-19 10:39 AM
    Somehow I missed this the first time I read through this thread. It's like another little goodie for me.
    We honestly don't know the actual breakdown between Alcatel and BBMo, but at least someone is thinking that.
    05-13-19 10:41 AM