Well after doing some researching and decrypting of OS files I found this out.

The 9630 newest official OS (Verizon 4.7.1.40) is roughly 3 years in the making or is using a lot of the same components that were used 3 years ago.
    I'm going with the latter of the two.
    07-30-09 03:13 AM
    sad ain't it... lol
    07-30-09 04:42 AM
    Windows 7 probably contains code that was in Windows XP ... What's the point?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-09 04:44 AM
    just seems like even if the component functions well it doesn't mean they can't improve upon it, but such is life
    07-30-09 04:45 AM
    Understood and agree. But the OP sounds like they expect a full rewrite of the OS every release.

07-30-09 04:51 AM
    Thats not all that suprising.
    The Pre was started 2 years ago.
    iphone has basis in code from OSX, which in itself is old.

Change is great and improving is great. but changing for the sake of change......thats debatable.....
    07-30-09 06:35 AM
    into mobile says microsoft is abandoning windows mobile for a more suitable os, about dang time i say. any truth to this.?
    07-30-09 10:25 AM
    WinMo is being renamed, that is all, it seems.
    07-30-09 11:11 AM
    And so...

07-30-09 11:23 AM
    Danoh, speak for yourself.
    I'm simply pointing things out. This is a discussion forum and it's what you do.
    I'm simply saying there are parts of the OS that haven't even been touched/looked at in 3 years.
    07-30-09 01:19 PM
    I'm simply pointing things out. This is a discussion forum and it's what you do.
    I'm simply saying there are parts of the OS that haven't even been touched/looked at in 3 years.
    I believe it, I mean look at how much Blackberries change between the models software wise. Not very much. Few cosmetic changes, re-arrange this, move that.

It's not like going from XP to Vista everytime you get a new phone, it's more like 95 to 98, or XP home to XP pro.

Eventually they will have to write a new OS, but for now they are sticking with what works and adding a few things here and there, and changing how it looks a little bit.
    07-30-09 02:01 PM
    Which parts of the OS have not been touched or looked at in 3 years? Maybe we could actually have an intelligent discussion if you listed the specifics rather than talk about generalities.

For all we know, you're talking about the part of the OS that handles what the spacebar does when you press it on the keypad, which shouldn't need to be touched or looked at in 3 years.

So throw us a bone here...
    07-30-09 05:07 PM
    I havnt had my phone but a month but i love how the OS looks, its simplistic and easy to use, i hope that if they do rewrite it they dont change it too much from what we've all come to know and love from our blackberries.
    07-30-09 06:37 PM
    Which parts of the OS have not been touched or looked at in 3 years? Maybe we could actually have an intelligent discussion if you listed the specifics rather than talk about generalities.

For all we know, you're talking about the part of the OS that handles what the spacebar does when you press it on the keypad, which shouldn't need to be touched or looked at in 3 years.

So throw us a bone here...
    I was looking at the OS files and of 13 files (I believe) that compromise the complete operating system 1 of them that I check had that date.
    07-30-09 11:16 PM
    What's contained in that 1 file, or can you tell? Might just be something that once written doesn't need to be messed with, or improved upon.

Get what I'm saying?

07-31-09 12:21 AM
    Can't read it. It's pages upon pages of code.
    Each one had properties though with the last date it was edited. some are january 09, etc.
    07-31-09 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD