Yeah I dont listen to sales reps anymore I do my own tech research and do my own hands on seriously I always wave off assistant until Im ready to purchase.

Sales assistance have been poor they dont ask about how much customers budget is ,they dont take customers around whole variety of tech.THis is what everyone is usong is just terrible stuff to here.The only time they work is when they tryget people to buy useless accessories and insurance cover.I only use them to get what i want and turn equipment on for my own hands on and I take my sweet time in stores.
    01-13-13 01:58 PM
    I worked at a dealership for telus for a few years. Here are two things:
    1. telling me, a low level employee, that you are leaving telus had no affect on me. Most of the time it was an empty threat anyway. To be clear, I cared about my customers, and treated them fairly and honestly, I rarely had an issue. Im just saying, that leaving telus wasnt the end of the world for me, that might work better when dealing with their loyalty line.
    2. We often had promotions, sell so many samsungs, get rewards. Sell the most motorolas, get a reward (I won a free KRZR, and $750 visa card from motorola at one point). So these incentives really helped us lean one way or the other. Chances are the salespeople are being rewarded for selling certain phones.
    Bottom line, be well educated when going to a store.
    That would explain much. When I was a company commander, my recruiters were provided special incentives to recruit certain types of people over others, so it makes sense.
    01-13-13 01:59 PM
    Yikes, where are you located?, if you don't mind me asking. I pull down about 43 Mbps in St. Louis. I've never known vzw service to be that sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Portland, Oregon. Downtown during the weekdays it is worse than that, at night in the outskirts of the city I can sometimes still see upwards of 30 mbps, but that is getting rare too

Sent from my Droid DNA
    01-13-13 02:08 PM
    I have a very nice AT&T rep who likes all platforms (except iOS). He believes that WP8 and BB10 will succeed, as do I.
    Stocklone and 00stryder like this.
    01-13-13 02:16 PM
    I have a very nice AT&T rep who likes all platforms (except iOS). He believes that WP8 and BB10 will succeed, as do I.
    Same here. I love WP8 and BB10. I also am a huge fan of Android. I want to see success for them all. I would love to see the marketshare go to a 25% 4 way split. They all bring something with their platform that I appreciate. Fortunately for RIM, my top priority is user experience and BB10 looks amazing in that regards. Buying a Playbook last year has been life changing and has reshaped my views of how a mobile OS should work.

I haven't been this excited since the original Droid came out and finally put Android on the map. RIM needs that kind of marketing success with BB10. Everyone knew what a Droid was after that even if they never owned a smartphone.
    lynxs_claw and 00stryder like this.
    01-13-13 02:32 PM
    call the manager, not just the shift manager, but the honcho & tell him what a j#erk this guy was,,, i'd also call VZ support & drop a dime on the store itself, then see what happens next time you walk in,,, my guess is they'll be kissing your, uhhh, feet...
    01-13-13 02:59 PM
    call the manager, not just the shift manager, but the honcho & tell him what a j#erk this guy was,,, i'd also call VZ support & drop a dime on the store itself, then see what happens next time you walk in,,, my guess is they'll be kissing your, uhhh, feet...
    Keep dreaming. No one seriously gives that much of a f*** about anyone crying about a sales rep's opinion. Especially a manager who likely agrees and can care less.

You guys kill me with these type of comments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    01-13-13 03:56 PM
    Keep dreaming. No one seriously gives that much of a f*** about anyone crying about a sales rep's opinion. Especially a manager who likely agrees and can care less.

You guys kill me with these type of comments.

There still are stores and managers out there who do care. And if you don't at least give the management an opportunity then things will never improve. E
    01-13-13 04:00 PM
    I think that the problem is young people think BlackBerry produces are for businesses only and not hip like the IPhone. When stores have kids running the sales floor.
    01-13-13 04:31 PM
    Go back and talk to him in 3 months.
    That's if he still has his job.
    01-13-13 05:40 PM
    You sell what the customer want, no what you want. People that work for wireless company should know about os, and just focus to serve the customer and their needs not their personal needs. I bet you those people are the one who have been using iphone or android in last 2-3 yrs, but dont know about blackberry or palm or windows etc. and they think they are cool just because they are like the majority. I went to NYC few yrs ago and most people were using BB, now most people use iphone and android and some people have their BB. But is like everything , is a cycle and BB10 is fresh is new.
    01-13-13 05:46 PM
    There still are stores and managers out there who do care. And if you don't at least give the management an opportunity then things will never improve. E
    There's nothing really to be improved upon. You present someone with an opportunity to voice the way they feel, so that's what you get. No reason to start crying when it's not something you necessarily want to hear. If it's misinformation, we'll that's another thing, but typically its just an opinion or facts slightly out of context. Management wants sales. If 9/10 a salesperson has success with up selling someone from a bb by putting down bb, then it makes sense to present things in that fashion. Is it fair to bb? Honestly, yeah. As a sales person there are many many downsides to RIMs current lineup that would likely cause customers potential remorse in reflection to the current market. As it stands there is nothing to ethnically recommend and that's still RIMs fault.

01-13-13 06:37 PM
    My wife and I had a similar experience at T-Mobile in the US when i went to upgrade her BB Curve to a Bold 9900 a few months ago. I have a 9930 & thought I'd upgrade her to a better BB experience. The sales rep was incredibly dismissive of the BB's; although he knew that both me and my wife carried BlackBerry's. When I told him that i wanted to get her the Bold 9900, he told me that no one asks for BB's and that i should consider an Android. I told him that i didn't want a crappy Android phone, and that we'd just go somewhere else. I felt personally insulted by him as both me and my wife love our BB's!!

Needless to say, my wife now does own a 9900...on AT&T's network! And she loves it.

Keith
    donmateo likes this.
    01-13-13 10:45 PM
    Now would probably be a good time to move on from Verizon anyway http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/14/3y5yrezy.jpg

Verizon LTE has been downright sluggish lately

Sent from my Droid DNA
    Probably depends on location... mine is still blazing fast in certain areas.
    01-13-13 10:55 PM
    Yikes, where are you located?, if you don't mind me asking. I pull down about 43 Mbps in St. Louis. I've never known vzw service to be that sluggish.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Yes it is all about location. Single point tests are not that meaningful.
    01-13-13 11:01 PM
    Yes it is all about location. Single point tests are not that meaningful.
    I should clarify a little bit, I test about once a week where I work downtown in Portland and randomly around the city and suburbs, as well as when I travel. My fastest test so far was on a launch-day Thunderbolt on launch day in the Las Vegas airport at around 40 mbps. For about a year I'd get tests in the 30 mbps range and they've been drifting down since then. Right now, in the evening in southeast portland I get 18-20 mbps and that's down from 22-25 mbps just prior to the iPhone 5 launch. Downtown during the day the results are almost always "bad" now, in that I rarely get better than 5 mbps now and I think the expect level would be about 2.5 mbps.

Just prior to the iPhone 5 launch Verizon had 10.9 million LTE customers on a single 10 MHz carrier, compared to something like 90 million EVDO customers on 20-30 MHz, but with more towers supporting EVDO than EVDO and LTE - after the iPhone launch about 2.5 million LTE customers were added on the first couple of days and I don't know what the levels were after that. I wouldn't have expected performance to have degraded as far as it did, it's still 1.5 or 2.0 customers per hz (AND it's 2 spatial layers), compared to EVDO which is 3-5 customers per hz, but I don't have good statistics on customer per hz*area*modulation.

Point being when Verizon LTE was launched in Portland the speeds were fast as ****, all over. Now they're only fast in areas that are either not heavily populated (with active UE at least) or very late at night. It's concerning because I'm not sure what Verizon's plans are to add LTE carriers and in fact I don't think there really is one until they deploy LTE advanced, yet at the same time they're aggressively pushing legacy customers off of EVDO and on to LTE. If that were all able to magically happen overnight tonight it'd be quite the problem, at the end of it all Verizon is still only on 10 MHz for LTE compared to much more currently devoted to EVDO. AT&T is in somewhat better shape as their devices all support band 4 and 17 and in some markets they are deployed on both bands - AT&T potentially has 2x10+10 rather than the 1x10+10 that VZN has.

Also that 18-20 mbps is at home in my office where I am line of site, unobstructed view of the tower at 407 meters distance, and I'm square in the center of the sector and the tower's tilt angle. Radio-wise, I couldn't imagine it possibly being any better.
    01-13-13 11:32 PM
    My whole beef with a situation like this is what ever happened to sales people who take pride in what they do instead of pushing a particular item? Sure your company offers you kickbacks for selling certain types of phones... but what about the true personal satisfaction it brings to help someone with a need. Clocking out at the end of the day and thinking to yourself I have helped these people make informed purchasing decisions about what type of things THEY need or want is a way better feeling to me than pushing personal agendas. Call me old fashoned....
    magutwit and flyingsolid like this.
    01-14-13 02:34 AM
    have helped these people make informed purchasing decisions about what type of things THEY need or want is a way better feeling to me than pushing personal agendas. Call me old fashoned....
    Na, it's not old-fashioned. The person that can do that (understand a customer's needs, find a good solution and explain him why it's good for him, so that the person walks out happy and with a product that suits him), will be one day able to do a further step - understand what a customer needs, but don't have yet. Like Steve Jobs, say

There can be no pride about being unsensible to customers, it's only silly.
    switcharoo likes this.
    01-14-13 03:05 AM
    I worked at a dealership for telus for a few years. Here are two things:
    1. telling me, a low level employee, that you are leaving telus had no affect on me. Most of the time it was an empty threat anyway. To be clear, I cared about my customers, and treated them fairly and honestly, I rarely had an issue. Im just saying, that leaving telus wasnt the end of the world for me, that might work better when dealing with their loyalty line.
    We can see what type of impact it will have on you when a customer quits and specifically says it was because of you and proceeds to explain all this to your manager. Does not having a job affect you?
    01-14-13 06:20 AM
    We can see what type of impact it will have on you when a customer quits and specifically says it was because of you and proceeds to explain all this to your manager. Does not having a job affect you?
    i doubt one customer quitting a network because of one salesman will ever lead to the salesman losing their job. rightly so. any ********* would be able to get someone the sack.
    it would have to be hundreds, and it wouldnt be because they weren't pushing blackberry. some of us need to look at the real world here.

also i think those store incentives shouldnt be allowed. a store is meant to be impartial, they shouldnt be swayed into pushing a device onto someone who doesnt need that device.
    if Motorola or nokia want to offer nice kick backs they should open their own stores and do it there. same goes with blackberry or any other company

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 08:55 AM
    Guys, to be clear, I took my job very serious and treated my customers very fairly.
    In all instances when the customer threatened to leave Telus, there was nothing I could do. Like I said, it was usually if their phone was broken and warranty wouldn't cover it, or they had gone over their usage and had a large bill, etc etc. I would offer all the help I could, and deal with Telus on their behalf, but that was as much as I could do. So if they weren't satisfied, and told me they were going somewhere else, Im just saying, as a salesperson, at a store, it had zero affect on me.

You missed the point, I never had a problem with my customer service, just the opposite. But when customers used that as a threat, it didn't affect me, that's all I'm saying.

My whole beef with a situation like this is what ever happened to sales people who take pride in what they do instead of pushing a particular item?
    They are still out there, they have always been out there, and always will. And there are many out there that are not like this, always was, always will be. My point was to share a little info on where a salesperson is coming from, so that people here are educated before they go shopping. Anytime I had a customer, I spent the first few minutes having a conversation, finding out what they needed in a phone, and then offering my opinion if they wanted. I often steered people away from smart phones back then, even though I made more from a smartphone sale. I often suggested people get a pay as you go phone, even though that took up my time, but I got nothing from it, and so on. However, not every sales person is like this.

If they asked about reliability or anything, I would give them the facts I had, I never pushed any phones, but some were better than others. At the time, the motorolas were the most popular sellers, had the best service in our area, and were very reliable. So I did sell a lot of those.

also i think those store incentives shouldnt be allowed. a store is meant to be impartial, they shouldnt be swayed into pushing a device onto someone who doesnt need that device.
    if Motorola or nokia want to offer nice kick backs they should open their own stores and do it there. same goes with blackberry or any other company
    How it worked with us, and this was a long time ago, was we would track the number of new sales, regular or smartphone, number of renewals, number of add ons (caller id, etc), if we sold extra warranty. That stuff determined our commission from the store.
    Then every now and then one of the manufacturers would have a promotion, where we would enter info on their website when we sold their phones. Some sales people at the store would push those phones, even to people who clearly didn't need that one. I remember having promotions to sell Samsung, and another for Motorola. There would have been others but those two stand out. This was a long time ago, so Im not sure how things are now, but if someone is pushing you to a certain phone, there may be a reason.

However, working at a store, I had good info on what was good and what was not. Not because of my own opinion, but because I saw hundreds of customers a week. I sent phones in for warranty and saw what the issues were. So when a phone gave a ton of problems vs how many were sold, I would steer people from them.
    jegs2 and darkehawke like this.
    01-14-13 10:56 AM
    Sales doesn't seem to be the same anymore. It is seriously about bonuses and contests, which are great to have, don't get me wrong. It motivates the employees to sell harder. But there's also a fine line drawn, and that comes to what the customer you are helping needs/prefers. We are not all sheep who don't know jack about computers or phones. Most of us have done our research and homework prior and understand the pros and cons of each platform. Selling to us what we want to get guarantees that we will be back and will deal with you again. Treat us poorly or try to sway us into a phone that we don't want and then cause a big stink over it (happened to me last year at this time when I upgraded my BB 9650 to a 9930), then do you expect me to be back to the store or ask for you? I don't want the riot act read to me or feed me misinformation/lies about a company, or feel like I have a gun to my head. It seems like my store (VZW corporate store, not a kiosk) promotes the great sales people and then transfers them to other locations, leaving behind the newbies or what not that I am seriously considering ordering my next VZW phone online or visiting one of those "Authorized Retailer" stores. Or perhaps just driving further to another corporate store.

I am excited for BB10. I will do my research. I will treat/test out each phone/manufacturer, and then go with what's best for me. My 9930's treated me well and I am in no real hurry to upgrade or pay full price for a BB10 phone. Here's to RIM and a "reboot" of sorts
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-14-13 11:06 AM
    I stopped in two VZW stores today looking for a replacement battery for my daughter's feature phone. The first was a small kiosk on the side of the road. When he was checking around for the replacement I asked if they were going to carry the new BB10 devices. I knew the official position from CES. He was unsure. He didn't say anything bad. He did inquire into the model and when I said 9930 he acknowledged that It was a great model to have.

At the second store (much larger) they did have three models on display. All Curves. That salesman was unsure also. I told him that I am a BlackBerry guy and he said "Yes, there is definitely a segment of the market that is very loyal. I hope they get what they want."

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-14-13 03:04 PM
    What is with the obsession about getting people fired when they get there feelings hurt? Seriously... Grow up. People in sales don't care and they don't have to. And they don't care about your empty threats. You'll be back.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-14-13 03:10 PM
    There are two separate things here.

One is the reps' opinion of BlackBerry. Honestly, that's RIM's problem to deal with.

The second is the rudeness of the rep to a customer. It could just have easily been another type of phone, but still doesn't give the rep a license to be rude.
    01-14-13 03:10 PM
56 123