I have a Curve 8900 and I "upgraded" to a high end Android phone. Ugh. Keeping the battery charged was like playing with a Tamagocchi. I would have had to keep a charger at home, at work and in the car. I was even thinking that I would have to install a charger on my Vespa.

Turn it on with a button, swype to unlock, pull down the notifications. Get the task killer and turn off tasks to save battery, turn off wifi, turn off blue tooth, turn off push email and FB notifications, turn down your screen brightness until you can't see it anymore. Turn your $500 smart phone into a dumb phone and maybe you'll have enough juice to be able to make a call on your way home from work.

Turn on wifi calling and walk outside your door for privacy and the call drops. And the speaker phone was the worst. Absolutely the worst.

Sure, the Android phone was only $99 on contract and it was fast, flashy and sexy, but EVEN if I paid the full contract price of a 9900, which is crazy expensive and overpriced, if the rumors hold true, my time and sanity for 2 years is a huge price to pay. Getting the 9900 for sure.
    grover5, 01itr, lnichols and 1 others like this.
    08-14-11 02:36 PM
    Welcome back. Sorry for your troubles but happy to hear the story. Those tales keep me in BB Land all the more.
    08-14-11 03:00 PM
    I understand completely. Technology can be overwhelming.

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-14-11 03:05 PM
    I understand completely. Technology can be overwhelming.
    I don't know. Sounds to me like he found Android technology rather underwhelming.
    08-14-11 04:27 PM
    Aww haha yeah androids are always hogging battery juice boxes. Stick with blackberry my battery life has been amazing lately , just gotta figure out the quirks and crannies with your handset.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 05:05 PM
    Using task killer won't save battery life. This is a common misconception. It's like turning off your car to save gas at a drive-thru, but you would waste less gas just leaving the engine on. You can root it if you are computer savvy. Even if you're not, you just have to follow directions. This helps with the battery life a little bit. Also, I love how you compared the battery life of an 8900 to a "high end" android phone. REALLY?...REALLY?... Try comparing the android phone to something comparable like the 9900 or the other upcoming phones...SHEESH.
    Last edited by waccotobacco; 08-14-11 at 05:18 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    08-14-11 05:15 PM
    Android is the most unstable smartphone OS i have ever used. can't even play music and check email because the music cuts out. the widgets look nice but you sacrifice half your CPU speed using them. lock screens freeze and many others. as for battery life, i like having some to play around with after a full-day at work playing music as i work via Pandora, but my Droid could barely get more than 5% after that. that's only 8 hours. screen off, with Pandora running. same thing with my BB i still have over 3/4 battery. i have not had such a long life in a phone. but the sad thing about CDMA BBs is that if you are in a low signal area, your battery will die faster than a Droid (try 1-4 hours) if you don't turn OFF the Mobile Network and fall back to wifi--which is the one feature Android has yet to fix--they suck getting on and remaining connected to any Wifi access point
    08-14-11 05:39 PM
    It's like turning off your car to save gas at a drive-thru, but you would waste less gas just leaving the engine on.
    That's not true. You can buy a ScanGauge and crunch the numbers, but idling wastes more gas. The more credible argument is that the gas consumed idling for an extra five minutes is negligible, however, it is still more than that consumed by starting the engine.
    chiefbroski and 01itr like this.
    08-14-11 07:33 PM
    I have tried both a high end android smartphone and a Iphone and neither of them could have taken me of my Crackberry addiction. I don't really any of the other OS's out there that I've tried are better the BB's. But thats my own opinion. Mike
    08-14-11 08:25 PM
    Okay, I have a 9800 and its battery is way better than the HTC Inspire I had for 5 days as well as the OP. I would say the 9800 and the Inspire are pretty comparable in age, so my comparo is good and I think the Inspire is a pretty high up Android phone.

Funny thing is the more Android people I speak to the there are who want out, due to buggy phones that hang, eat batteries like rosie odonnel eating donuts and a generally poor experience.

mjordan5 likes this.
    08-14-11 08:29 PM
    I have tried both a high end android smartphone and a Iphone and neither of them could have taken me of my Crackberry addiction. I don't really any of the other OS's out there that I've tried are better the BB's. But thats my own opinion. Mike
    I hear this argument all of the time. So I will pose this question to you: What happens when the inevitable switch to QNX takes place? Because looking at the Playbook, QNX is clearly a different animal. How will you survive?

08-14-11 08:40 PM
    welcome back bro!
    08-14-11 09:12 PM
    I hear this argument all of the time. So I will pose this question to you: What happens when the inevitable switch to QNX takes place? Because looking at the Playbook, QNX is clearly a different animal. How will you survive?

Well I have only use the playbook on short times I do not personally own one so I do not know how I like the OS on it. But it seems to be better then android OS's on there tablets from the little I've used it but I would have to own one for a little bit to make my mind up. Mike
    08-14-11 09:16 PM
    Well I have only use the playbook on short times I do not personally own one so I do not know how I like the OS on it. But it seems to be better then android OS's on there tablets from the little I've used it but I would have to own one for a little bit to make my mind up. Mike
    In other words, you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about right now and you're just saying what you say to support your argument. It's ok. I understand.
    Wretch 12 likes this.
    08-14-11 09:25 PM
    Why diddnt you. Say the name of. The high endd android phone ?

08-14-11 11:18 PM
    In other words, you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about right now and you're just saying what you say to support your argument. It's ok. I understand.
    So I have no idea what I'm talking about but I've owned android and apple phones just never liked the OS like I did with the blackberry. I've used android phones trying to see if I would like the OS but it never changed 2.3 isn't bad but its still has its bugs to be worked out. And apple is just way to over hyped I like there phones are good quality have decent OS'S but again I just never liked it like blackberry's. So if you wanna say I don't know what I'm talking about go ahead but I've owned a phone with just about all the different OS's out today so I know which ones I like and which I don't like. People have there own opinions on which is the best and which they like more personally I just like blackberries more from my own experiences

08-15-11 12:07 AM
    You're ok Mike. It looks to me like the fact you choose BB over everything else is enough to get fanboys aroused, despite the fact you clearly stated you were expressing a personal opinion, its as if you have to argue why the Android or Apple experience was sub-par for you so others can prove you wrong.

@ithasbegun:
    I'm rather interested in understanding why you need to ask such an arrogant question like "how will you survive"? Are you going to point out why Android is better? Mike did not make one statement that attacked or criticized another platform, he only stated he didn't like them for his own use.

08-15-11 02:02 AM
    Thanks bitpusher that's all I was trying to say is for my use and from my experience I personally like BB's OS better. People have there own opinions that's fine with me let people choose what they like and what works best for them. Mike

08-15-11 02:24 AM
    I have a Curve 8900 and I "upgraded" to a high end Android phone. Ugh. Keeping the battery charged was like playing with a Tamagocchi. I would have had to keep a charger at home, at work and in the car. I was even thinking that I would have to install a charger on my Vespa.

Turn it on with a button, swype to unlock, pull down the notifications. Get the task killer and turn off tasks to save battery, turn off wifi, turn off blue tooth, turn off push email and FB notifications, turn down your screen brightness until you can't see it anymore. Turn your $500 smart phone into a dumb phone and maybe you'll have enough juice to be able to make a call on your way home from work.

Turn on wifi calling and walk outside your door for privacy and the call drops. And the speaker phone was the worst. Absolutely the worst.

Sure, the Android phone was only $99 on contract and it was fast, flashy and sexy, but EVEN if I paid the full contract price of a 9900, which is crazy expensive and overpriced, if the rumors hold true, my time and sanity for 2 years is a huge price to pay. Getting the 9900 for sure.

Welcome back to the family
    08-15-11 02:28 AM
    I hear ya. I rather have no use for people who attack others for choosing something 1st that they would not. I actually made a thread about people like that some time ago, about how I was under the impression that Crackberry was for people who love BB instead of look down on it or its users.

In any event, you're welcome

08-15-11 03:05 AM
    I tried an andriod, didn't like it for myself, it wasn't the battery life just the way it worked and it won't satisfy my work needs. This comes from a person who doesn't have a BlackBerry as yet (it's on it's way) I have a HTC HD2 a windows phone, the battery life on that is actually OK, so I think it's more about the way the OS is organised and how efficiently it interacts with itself a bit like an engine that needs a tune up. Unfortunately people need others to validate their choices whatever that may be and get cross when they feel attacked by those who don't agree, we are all like it, it's human.
    08-15-11 03:20 AM
    IKeeping the battery charged was like playing with a Tamagocchi.

Terrible, aren't they?I cannot fathom why a company would release a flashy phone which cannot hold a charge for at least a working day. I lasted about 3 weeks with an HTC desire HD, Even with light/moderate use, the phone would die by about 2pm after an overnight charge.
    08-15-11 03:37 AM
    Tried a high end Android (Atrix) and a lower end Torch (lower end by specs alone.)
    My experience was that although the Atrix killed my Torch in multimedia it left me cold when it came to actual every day functionalities.
    I won't get the Android folks all up in a lather but I tried Android and it wasn't for me. As far as I'm concerned, 'nuff said.
    mjordan5 likes this.
    08-15-11 03:43 AM
    I tried an andriod, didn't like it for myself, it wasn't the battery life just the way it worked and it won't satisfy my work needs. This comes from a person who doesn't have a BlackBerry as yet (it's on it's way) I have a HTC HD2 a windows phone, the battery life on that is actually OK, so I think it's more about the way the OS is organised and how efficiently it interacts with itself a bit like an engine that needs a tune up. Unfortunately people need others to validate their choices whatever that may be and get cross when they feel attacked by those who don't agree, we are all like it, it's human.
    Funny you mention that. I likewise had an HD7 for a couple months. As a heavy user, I can attest that the HD7 had massive battery life over my Droid X, and both as you know have the 4.3" screen.
    The linux kernel is a massive clusterf--- of code and although it works, is quite sloppy (as an developer can tell you.) The way Android runs atop it is equally as sloppy, which in the spirit of validating things, I believe you are dead on. A big if not the biggest factor in battery life appears to me to be how well the software itself is designed and how it runs on the hardware. I wonder if this very thing is in fact a bigger factor in battery life than the raw specs of the hardware itself. In any event, BlackBerry is the lowest on the totem pole in terms of raw hardware specs, so I won't include it in my "opinion", but from use of them all, my Droid X had the worst battery life bar none (both in stock and having used CyanogenMod). The iPhone 4 and HD7 both had such drastically better battery life. BlackBerry must have decent software design, and combined with what I assume we would in the present day label low end hardware spec, my 'Berry has the best battery life of them all. It has certainly spoiled me.

daveycrocket and mjordan5 like this.
    08-15-11 03:48 AM
    my LG Optimus 2 is really really fast but i have it permanently on the power cord so i only use it for skype at home. as a normal phone, it is impossible to use without the power cord permanently attached. the battery dies by 10am.
    08-15-11 05:30 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD