Well, last night was a bad one. I have a little guy, 4 and a half years old. He's mildly autistic and last night with my 9810 in his hand he threw a fit, and threw my phone.

It exploded against the wall, even the MicroSD card came flying out. Not cool at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at him, it just sucks.

So I gather up the parts, put humpy dumpty together again and all I get is a red LED flash for 2-3 seconds and nothing. Then about 20 seconds later another red LED flash for 2-3 seconds and nothing. Its just rebooting. Bummer.

So after a bunch of screwing around on the computer I get it to power on properly but I only have a backlight, no display. So out come the tools.

Get her apart and I can't see anything wrong. But my eyes are 40 years old so out comes the magnify lens/light and I see it, the display/slider flex cable has the slightest tear in it. Man, what a drag.

So I go online and the cheapest I can find one for the 9810 is 34.99 with 39.99 shipping! WTF!

Anyone here know of a good parts location?

So I bought a used Bold 9700 and I'm up and running. Love the keyboard on the 9700, its amazing. I can't wait to get a 9900.

Anyway, be sad for me. I am.
    01-30-12 01:09 AM
    So sorry, I hope your little boy is well and that you get your 9900.
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-30-12 01:15 AM
    Have you tried searching on your local craiglist or ebay?
    01-30-12 01:30 AM
    Sorry to hear, bb10 will be coming out soon
    01-30-12 01:36 AM
    Have you tried searching on your local craiglist or ebay?
    Yea, being in Canada its the shipping charges that kill it. It might take a long search tomorrow and I don't have it in me tonight.
    01-30-12 01:39 AM
    So sorry, I hope your little boy is well and that you get your 9900.
    Thanks for the well wishes, little Felix appreciates it.

and I'll get that 9900 real soon, now that I really want it.
    01-30-12 01:40 AM
    Sorry to hear, bb10 will be coming out soon
    Can't wait, I'm a must have newest now kinda person. Must have OS 7.1 and the 9900 keyboard.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-30-12 at 01:51 AM.
    01-30-12 01:41 AM
    I'm surprised at your ability to pull it apart and actually locate the problem, look at it this way any repair shop would have charged you way more for what you already found out yourself. Eitherway being out 40 bucks to have your 9810 back up isn't that bad imo
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-30-12 02:05 AM
    Sorry to hear this... my wife is working with autistic kids so I know what can happen

About the display, maybe it's not the screen it self, it can be something else such as connections of cables inside or a defective chip... i suggest you to take it to a repair store.
    01-30-12 02:26 AM
    Sorry to hear this... my wife is working with autistic kids so I know what can happen

About the display, maybe it's not the screen it self, it can be something else such as connections of cables inside or a defective chip... i suggest you to take it to a repair store.
    Its the Slider flex cable. Bummer and not the easiest part to find. I've been doing tech support for long enough to remember opening Newtons. So I found it.

Good advice though. If your not an experienced tech, with the right tools, you will not be able to do this. You need a T5 and a T3 driver, if you don't know what they are, Google lots and lots and lots, then some more. 1 wrong move and it only gets worse
    01-30-12 02:47 AM
    I'm surprised at your ability to pull it apart and actually locate the problem, look at it this way any repair shop would have charged you way more for what you already found out yourself. Eitherway being out 40 bucks to have your 9810 back up isn't that bad imo
    True enough and with the value go the phone, i'm not too bad off. But, its a bummer. Thin cables like that for an average device are a few bucks but not the 9810. Oh well.
    01-30-12 02:49 AM
    I do not have anything of substance to add (aside from the fact that it sounds like you are a standup father!), except to say that I think you are going to absolutely love the 9900 when you get it!!
    01-30-12 02:27 PM
    Rather than pay to fix your BB can you hold out on your 9700 until you get the 9900 like you want? How long until you were going to get the 9900 anyway? I know it can be hard to wait!
    01-30-12 02:55 PM
    Least you got another sweet phone. I love my 9700! Still use it from time to time.

Loved it so much, gave it to my dad. He is like a kid again, lol!

Sorry about your situation man. Least in the end, it is just a phone.

I know I say that, but I would be mad, but my son isn't autistic. He throws it, it would be because he just wanted to, lol!
    01-30-12 08:51 PM
    Have you looked into how much you can get for your 9810 in the secondary market, considering it needing a part/repair?

You might be able to get a good chunk of change for it, maybe around $150-$200; eBay always has broken BB's selling for good money. That could be money put towards a new 9900. Or you can sell both your damaged 9810 and 9700 and be able to pay for a 9900, and just find some dumbphone to hold you over til you get it.
    01-30-12 09:08 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I have now found the flex cable for 35 so all good. Then yes, sell both, maybe keep the 9700 as a backup and get 9900 hopefully next week

How could I be mad. He's damn cute.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    mithrazor likes this.
    01-30-12 09:38 PM
    Ohh ok glad you found the cable. I was going to say check out www.cnn.cn they usually have odds and ends for phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    01-30-12 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD