With new WiFi-enabled BlackBerrys hitting the market (8820, 8320 and I'm sure many more are on the way), it was suggested that we start a new forum for issues and discussion surrounding WiFi.

We figured it was a good idea, especially since we have forums in place for other technologies found on the Berry (Bluetooth, GPS). You can still use the device forums for WiFi issues you are having with your specific device model, but this forum will be all WiFi all the time.

Enjoy!
    09-26-07 08:25 AM
    I'm sure we'll be filling this forum up with all kinds of issues soon. I know I'm still having some.
    09-26-07 11:39 AM
    ... all WiFi all the time.

Enjoy!
    Nonstop with no commercial breaks? Sweet.

Now I just need my 8320....patiently waiting.
    09-26-07 01:17 PM
    Nonstop with no commercial breaks? Sweet.

Now I just need my 8320....patiently waiting.
    I heard T-Mobile were waiting for their WiFi??

09-26-07 03:21 PM
    I was gonna suggest we open a wifi forum, but then I answered someones post and forgot about it lol.
    09-27-07 03:34 PM
    CrackBerry.com has all sorts of new changes. A bunch of new forums. Got rid of a couple and renamed some. Check it out.
    I was gonna suggest we open a wifi forum, but then I answered someones post and forgot about it lol.
    09-27-07 03:36 PM
    With new WiFi-enabled BlackBerrys hitting the market (8820, 8320 and I'm sure many more are on the way), it was suggested that we start a new forum for issues and discussion surrounding WiFi.

We figured it was a good idea, especially since we have forums in place for other technologies found on the Berry (Bluetooth, GPS). You can still use the device forums for WiFi issues you are having with your specific device model, but this forum will be all WiFi all the time.

Enjoy!
    Hey Kevin,

For all those users and would-be users of WiFi enabled BlackBerrys, it's great to know that there is now a specific category to which they can go to discuss issues, etc.

BTW, I have to say that CrackBerry.com IMHO is by far THE best BlackBerry forum on the internet. Not only is it helpful and informative, but the posters do not insult or belittle other members, as sadly is becoming the norm on some of the other BB forums. And needless to say, the Mods are excellent.

Keep up the great work.

CB
    09-28-07 02:21 AM
    does the 8310 have wifi?
    02-04-08 08:20 PM
    Hello People,
    The Pearl is very nice when wifi is around. The GPRS speed isnt nice where i am

i got 8120
    02-21-08 08:39 AM
    how do you get wifi enabled, do you have to askfor it with the contract or do you just set it up.

I get emails with my contract can i get wifi and the other bits, browser etc.

obviously i am very new to this
    03-11-08 05:29 AM
    does the 8310 have wifi?
    No

I believe the 8820, 8320 and 8120 are the only BBs with WiFi at the time of this posting. The Bold, Javelin, KickStart, Thunder... I assume they will all have WiFi.

And this forum is great, dedicated for those pesky WiFi issues that everyone will have sooner or later haha
    06-17-08 10:03 AM
    I have an 8820.
    If I remove the sim card, connect to my router at home or use a hotel's free wifi, is there anyway my provider can track and charge me data minutes?
    (I realize I can't make calls but I can check my web mail and do a bit of surfing.)
    Edit/Delete Message
    06-25-08 01:30 PM
    I dont know how to use my wifi in my BB 8220
    02-17-09 08:11 PM
    I dont know how to use my wifi in my BB 8220 is any one who can help me. Thank You.
    02-17-09 08:12 PM
    T-Mobile is not waiting for their WiFi. They've got it and they've got it good!

I'm the proud addict of a Curve 8320 and though I don't know much about WiFi (yet), I know I enjoy surfing it in free zones.

I'm a flex pay customer and was informed I can't get the T-Mobile at home service. That was a bummer. But it is likely I can still get the router... Time will tell.

But frankly, with my blackberry service and the abundance of free wi-fi areas, I don't know that I would need it.

Looking forward, howeve, to learning more about this technology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 06:32 AM
    If I get the internet already what does having wi-fi do?? All explanations all welcome
    03-29-09 10:25 PM
    Really bummed my 8330 doesn't have it. Not sure why I'm bummed, I just am.

04-09-09 07:39 PM
    If I get the internet already what does having wi-fi do?? All explanations all welcome
    You can set your BB to switch over to the wifi service and you will get faster download speeds. Also, depending in your provider, if you are on a wifi coinnection, any calls you make or receive might not count against your minutes.

Also, if you can connect to a wifi, your phone doesn't need to use as much power to transmit, so you save battery life.

I wifi everywhere I can find one! The 8320 can switch over automatically if the wifi info is saved.

04-10-09 11:26 AM
    When Iam in range of wifi....such as for example, Coffee shop or tmo store, I am on UMA...when Iam in-call and walk out of range of UMA I drop the call. is this normal or does my device have an issue with the transition from UMA to EDGE.
    04-10-09 11:36 AM
    is wifi work on storm 9530
    04-26-09 08:46 AM
    does the 8310 have wifi?
    No-one answered this guy , does that mean there isnt any Wifi for the poor old 8310 , it doesnt seem fair that a model just below the 8320 is not WIFI ?? I'm going back to my PALM TREO I miss so much OK so it didnt have WIFI but am waiting for the Palm Pre to be released !!!
    Last edited by Toolie; 05-11-09 at 05:28 AM.
    05-11-09 05:12 AM
    05-18-09 03:18 PM
    I might sound like a "noob" asking this but whats the point of having wi-fi on a cell phone? Arent the phones connected to networks for internet already?
    05-21-09 01:07 PM
    Wifi is faster, easier on your battery than 3G, and cheap as free.

EDGE devices with wifi like the 8120/8320/8900 also support UMA - making voice calls over wifi. UMA can potentially save you a lot of money in airtime. Current 3G phones do not support UMA even if they have wifi however. (Such as the Bold.)
    05-21-09 01:34 PM
    Okay stupid question-what is wifi in a cell phone going to enable me to do?

05-29-09 11:47 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD