Is the webkit browser really that big of an improvement from the old browser and does it have flash ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by stephen6595; 08-27-10 at 09:46 AM.
    08-27-10 09:42 AM
    it doesn't have flash.

Some people swear it is 9.2 bagilzzion times better

while

Tech blog sites state it is a step in the correct direction but no Android or Apple quite yet.

More RAM and faster GPU/CPU would help i'm sure.

08-27-10 09:49 AM
    Also anyone with a torch tell me how it is as well

08-27-10 10:19 AM
    Stephen, please use the forum search. There are a lot of first impressions and comments about the browser available.

Next hot up Google

Type in : Torch 9800 browser review

All the major sites have done hands on videos and write ups!

And yes the browser is a lot better, and its actually a better browser than the iPhones and Androids!

08-27-10 10:40 AM
    I went looking about two weeks ago to try figuring out what the scoop was with WEBKIT browser and actually could not figure out what it really is.

What or how is the webkit browser different? Why is webkit better than just any app that is or has a better browser?
    08-27-10 11:34 AM
    it doesn't have flash.

while

Tech blog sites state it is a step in the correct direction but no Android or Apple quite yet.

It is better genius. I'm not saying better than Android or Apple browser but it's right there.
    08-27-10 01:55 PM
    it doesn't have flash.

while

Actually it's both. It's 9.2 bazillion times better AND still has a way to go to keep up with the big boys. It doesn't display YouTube when the other platforms do - my Pre handled it nicely, with the static image appearing in the browser and when clicked on it opened the YouTube application. With the webkit the YouTube static image is absent and there's no link, the video and all traces of are just missing. There's no flash yet (but odds are better we'll see flash on the BB before we see it on the iphone). Also, the text reflowing is annoying, IMO. If you have a column of text and images and you tap on the text to zoom in, it reflows into a column more narrow than the image, so you need to re-tap on the image to see the whole thing.

IMO it gets the job done for the most part. Now if BB could just put the email app on par with the browser I'd be a happy camper. I'm so sick of having to manually retrieve images and having the resize EVERY email to see the whole thing. And why are the email images so pixelated!?! If I can read image text on my laptop screen, I should be able to read it zoomed in on my phone. </soapbox>
    08-27-10 01:57 PM
    Now if BB could just put the email app on par with the browser I'd be a happy camper. I'm so sick of having to manually retrieve images and having the resize EVERY email to see the whole thing.
    Check out this application: Show Me The Images
    BlackBerry App World - Show Me The Images

This application will automatically display images in your e-mails. Basically, when you open an e-mail that contains images, in a split second you'll see the message asking if you want to display the images and it will auto-answer "YES" for you. It happens so fast, it's not annoying or intrusive at all.

Also, there are some handy options in this little app. You can have it show images for ALL emails, SAFE LIST ONLY or ALL W/BLOCK LIST. So, there is a fair bit of customizing you can do if you wish.

I know, I know, I know....we shouldn't have to install a 3rd party application to do something this simple. But hey, this is BlackBerry - there are a LOT of things we shouldn't HAVE to do!
    08-28-10 05:28 AM
    Look also at the BGR report of OS6 (and the WebKit browser) on a 9700. This was a lot faster than on the Torch. The browser seemed to really fly on the 9700.
    08-28-10 05:44 AM
    you just gave me an idea! i will do that.
    08-28-10 05:58 AM
    Stephen, please use the forum search. There are a lot of first impressions and comments about the browser available.

Next hot up Google

And yes the browser is a lot better, and its actually a better browser than the iPhones and Androids!

Better then the iPhone and Androids. You can't honestly believe this can you? The Blackberry 6.0 browser is an improvement on the old non-webkit browser, but still no where near the iPhone and Android browser. Its a step in the right direction though

08-28-10 07:27 AM
    I have a torch and I would say that the webkit browser is way better than the original blackberry browser....
    08-28-10 09:10 AM
    apple and android ****............"GO BB"
    08-28-10 09:24 AM
    apple and android ****............"GO BB"
    Why post a stupid, unhelpful thing like that? Only a fool will fail to admit that apple and android devices both have their own benefits over eachother and over BB, as well. They have some shortcomings vs BB and eachother also.

If you have never experienced their media/web handling, you can't honestly believe BB is ahead of them in that department at this time...

08-28-10 09:28 AM
    i dunno i was bored.....LOL.............accually i happen to like the iphone. not a big fan of android but they are one of the best selling smartphones. i wouldnt mind having an iphone but i like having the BB community ya know?..............IM SORRY
    08-28-10 09:32 AM
    haha no i dont think BB is a head of anyone else at all!!!!..........BB had a long way to with the TECH.......i think BB is better as far as using it for your buisness...and also messaging...........but as far as web browsing and games and apps and what not..........iphone hands down wins that one......my thoughts
    08-28-10 09:34 AM
    If comparing it to the old BB stock browser, it's a huge improvement. If comparing it to iPhone 4, or Droid, it's still far behind.

Ironically, the webkit seems to run the worst on the 9800. It's slow and lags. Pages take a long time to load, and it's not very smooth. Some of that could have been corrected if RIM had used a 1ghz processer and more RAM.
    08-28-10 09:34 AM
    hows the tour holding up?
    08-28-10 09:35 AM
    The webkit browser is a real improvement for blackberry and faster than the other browsers as it has been tested ! Salomondrin and others have run them against the iphone, the iphone keeps the text very small when down loading any site so that's why its very fast. The webkit render sites (mobile or not ) in a normal size text in a very fast way! There is always room for improvement as with anything in life. Flash is suppose to come out soon for BB as adobe promised to send it to the carriers. Froyo for android brought it to them recently. I hope I answered your question.

08-28-10 09:36 AM
    really? the torch is really that bad huh? who would have thought that the torch would get such bad ratings!!!.....i dont understand why the dont upgrade there processor's..............
    08-28-10 09:36 AM
    well idid notice when sal did that test with the iphone and the torch and the iphone loaded the page a little at a time and the torch loaded the page all at once. but alot of poeple seem to be having problems with there browser and say its not running as efficient as they hoped. and alot of other people claim there torch is the best device they have had yet. everyone has different preferences ya know?
    08-28-10 09:39 AM
    Exactly, different strokes for different folks...**** I am one of the few that gets by just fine on 5.0 browser...fly's on wifi, even does fine on EDGE...3G is getting better, but that is more a TMobile thing...

08-28-10 12:49 PM
    Better then the iPhone and Androids. You can't honestly believe this can you? The Blackberry 6.0 browser is an improvement on the old non-webkit browser, but still no where near the iPhone and Android browser. Its a step in the right direction though

It is not. Maybe with some better hardware we would have a easier time figuring it out.

****, some Torch owners are claiming the Torch has better video playback quality than the iPhone 4 (no mention of Android device), and that is straight bull****.
    08-28-10 01:42 PM
    The webkit browser is a real improvement for blackberry and faster than the other browsers as it has been tested ! Salomondrin and others have run them against the iphone, the iphone keeps the text very small when down loading any site so that's why its very fast. The webkit render sites (mobile or not ) in a normal size text in a very fast way! There is always room for improvement as with anything in life. Flash is suppose to come out soon for BB as adobe promised to send it to the carriers. Froyo for android brought it to them recently. I hope I answered your question.

Yeah thanks at least we will have flash soon

08-28-10 01:55 PM

Next hot up Google

I would say the browser looks better but it does not look up to par to iphones and androids and def does not look better! Imo from what I looked at
    08-28-10 02:02 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD